1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Dead Dremel - God Bless Amazon's RMA

Discussion in 'Modding' started by The_Crapman, 31 Mar 2013.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I was taking some slices out of my case this afternoon when when dremel suddenly stopped, At first I thought it was the surge protector but that hadn't tripped. I went up to the house to try in a socket indoors but still nothing. Checked the fuse and that was fne.

Do they have safety mechanisms to shut off if they over heat? That shouldn't even be the case as wasn't wragging it doing continuous long cuts. This dremel (3000 model) is only 9 months old and has hardly been used at all.Surely it can't be dead? :waah:

Last edited: 1 May 2013
  2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Is it making a noise at all? Maybe a bit got in a vent and is stopping it going?

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Possibly this or there is some bit of dust or particle jammed in the mechanism, my 3000 was only 3 months old and decided to die on me so it can happen :waah:.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Do you see sparking inside the dremel when you try to use it? That'd be a hint that it's the carbon brushes of the motor which are worn out.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

No there's no noise at all, no whirring or whinging from the motor and there's no sparks or arcs. Just a dead silence. Will have to have a look on amazon and find out how the hell i'm supposed to contact anyone. lol

6. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Very likely the switch ,if it was working and then nothing.

7. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Change the fuse anyway, sometimes the tap out on the multimeter because there's a tiny little bit of the fuse left

8. The_Crapman

I checked the fuse in a lamp and it worked fine and tested a new fuse in the dremel and it fifn't. Sad times.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's almost always the electronic board on the switch. Fortunately, they are an easy fix. Now if we can just find a cheap source of parts.... I think Dremel realized they were in direct competition with replacement switches and priced them so people would just buy a new dremel.

10. The_Crapman

Finally got round to arranging an RMA on the dead Dremel and I was really impressed by the service from Amazon. Spoke to a nice chap through an online chat function and within a couple of minutes i'd got an email with:
    - confirmation an order for a new dremel had been placed
    - a link to print out a return label to send the broke one back
    - another link showing where I could take the parcel to so i won't have to pay postage

I thought this was going to be such a pain and hassle to sort out, but it was like customer service on morphine. The new Dremel should be here Friday. Let the modding commence! :dremel:

11. Odinster

Odinster What's a Dremel?

Nice to see that there are still some good people in the customer services departments :) just noticed that you're in Coventry, I live in Coventry too! :p

12. The_Crapman

Hello fellow Coventrarian! Have you ever fancied a nice pork and stuffing batch but not known where to get one? Try searching on google for "hot batches in coventry". :naughty:

13. Odinster

Odinster What's a Dremel?

I don't have that problem when there is the pork of the town! :) and for some strange reason I thought I would google it ...

14. The_Crapman

Stupid google. There are not hot b*tches in cov. lol
    For me it's all about Bosworths in Cheylesmore. Their breakfast batches are also the shiz.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My old Dremel 285 died mid-cut through a rack cabinet one night, after probably 4-5 years of heavy use. I replaced it with a newer 3000 model but also repaired the old one because I use it with a 90 degree attachment for complicated cuts in tight spaces - all it needed was a new switch assembly at a cost of £14 including postage from a UK parts supplier. I gave it a good clean when I had it apart and checked the bearings, brushes etc, which were all fine. It's working as well now as the day it was bought. I don't care what people say about Dremel tools being overpriced. In my experience, you get what you pay for.