1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

do you drive the death star or something?!

My car seems to run on air, my tank lasts for a very long while.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Land Rover Discovery. It was made to take my money. It also almost took a cyclist this morning. I had to check my mirrors very vigilantly to ensure there wasn't a carcass attached to my bumper. You literally wouldn't notice. Probably just pull to the left a little or something if you let go of the steering wheel.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Don't kill cyclists it's naughty. Someone knocked me off my bike a couple months ago, and was then stumped as to why I was asking him for his insurance details, and then he turned a funny shade of green when I told him that my wheel's were £600, and the fact that one of them was no longer round meant that he was going to have to pay for me to get a new set, due to him trying to make sure I wouldn't live and trying to break my bicycle, then I got some sparkly new wheels :)

I think your avatar hypnotizes me throughout about 70% of my working day.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So your advice is to keep driving? (I'm reading this wrong aren't I?) This vehicle has a history with cyclists... I try and miss them :(

Someone tried to overtake it whilst turning because, I'd assume, they thought I wasn't going to try through this gap in traffic and you also have to run on the assumption that they were trying to break some sort of land speed record and stopping isn't allowed (keeping to the left wasn't one of their strong points either). They broke their wrist and were very lucky not to be killed by on coming traffic afterwards. The ladies husband drove up to the house later to try and claim on the insurance for damages(time off etc). Needless to say he didn't win that case. And also it shows, no amount of care in a vehicle of any description can prepare you for the stupidity of others.

Also I'd add this morning that passing up the inside of a vehicle like a Land Rover Discovery when approaching an island in the road isn't clever. Another assumption I've made is that some people clearly think they are invincible on a bicycle.

5. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Law, what part of the country are you from? Just wondering which counties I should be avoiding... :lol:

YEHBABY likes this.
  6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Just avoid the a338 and you'll be fine. :clap:

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Cycling on a road like that is never a great idea anyway. Plenty of smaller, quieter roads going in the same direction. Single track roads Cheesecake.

EDIT: Sigh. Or cheescake, whatever you like, bit-tech.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Just the Dorset bit really, it goes all the way up to Oxfordshire. Unless you're imposing an enormous exclusion zone :hehe:

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

By the sound of the size of his discovery, safety is only certain north of Birmingham :lol:

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Keyboards.

11. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

one of the thread tags is particularity relevant to that post LW :lol:

12. longweight

Is there?

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

dickweight does care

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If I get bored... :worried:

I see your point though, Fuus, Longweight; off topic.

Back on topic:

I'm going to buy a Filco next pay day I reckon. :D Providing I've not done something stupid.

15. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

any idea on which switches you want?

YEHBABY likes this.
  16. longweight

Lol that was Teelzebub, he likes to think that I don't annoy him but that tag says otherwise!

17. Shirty

Anyone know whether the Amstrad PCW8512 keyboard used mechanical switches?

18. Odinster

Odinster What's a Dremel?

So I may have made what you guys may refer to as a rookie-error but I purchased a Razer Blackwidow the other day partly because surprisingly I'm find of the Razer Green and it went with my room colour :p and I liked the noise the keys made and the feel felt reasonable but I've not had the chance to use to use it extensively yet and was wondering if people had opinions on this bit of kit?

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Good use of post 69 my friend - enjoy the user title (until next post that is :lol:)

They're supposed to be fairly decent - I'm not a fan of blues myself (the clicky keys) or the green backlighting etc (red's more my colour both in terms of aesthetics and switch type) but if you enjoy it & like the looks then each to their own. Welcome to the mad house!

20. Shirty

It's an average mechanical keyboard with relatively poor build quality (you may or may not be affected) and "Marmite" looks, but it's still a fair step up from a low end model.

Once you have typed on a "proper" mechanical you can really tell the difference (no wobbling keycaps, different feel on blue switches etc.), but I owned one for a few months and it wasn't as bad a some mech evangelists would have you believe.