1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H100i woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris182, 8 May 2013.

1. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

Just picked up a 2nd hand H100i and it's working perfectly as a cooler.

Windows, however, is refusing to install the drivers thus making it completely uncontrollable, and let me tell you 2 high quality fans pushing air through a rad at 100% is many things, but quiet is certainly not one of them!

I've had a good search through the corsair forums, as well as posting a thread there, but I was just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with the H100i acting in this way.

Oh, if it makes any difference all my other fans are connected to a cooling node and a commander. Link's currently failing at controlling them too, but that's a story for a whole different time.

I am really begging to question why corsiar has released any of the link stuff yet. It's clearly not ready for the public, and in my eye (and that's the eyes of an adoring corsair fan as you can see from my rig) it's really damaging to them as a company!

So yeah, any and all help would be much appreciated before I lose the sense of hearing in my left ear!!

Thanks!!

2. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

have you tried only connecting only the two fans that come with it? [you may need to reset the pc]
    it could be a firewall not allowing it to install the software or user account control.

3. chris182

The 2 fans are connected to the H100i, the rest of my fans are connected to a separate controller.

Not really sure how the firewall would be an issue, but windows has never failed at downloading drivers automatically before, so I can't see that being an issue.

UAC. HAHA!! That's about the first thing I turn off on my PCs!!

I might try it will just the H100i, and the commander, and therefore the cooling and lighting nodes, completely unplugged. I think that was potentially what you were getting at with your first idea.

4. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I installed my H80i fine last week, there weren't any automatic drivers downloaded by windows when I did it.
    I just downloaded the link software from corsairs site, just click on the download tab and get the link software.
    The software doesn't seem to like starting with windows properly or starting minimized, not every time anyway. Though once you have used it to set up the cooler as you like you don't need to run it again.

Edit: didn't read your original post properly but if you are having trouble getting the link software to talk to the commander then you are likely running into the same problem with the h100i.

5. total zombie

ye UAC is a pain i do the same but i was doing some stuff on a friends pc the other week and he had it on, so its worth asking, as for the firewall im more talking about an after market type like zonealarm or similar can stop programs that need admin rights to work, if you can seperate the commander module and get the h100i working fully first then you can go from there.

6. chris182

Just tried it without the commander plugged in and I was still facing the same problem. Unknown Device is device manager, and no way of forcing it to be a HID-compliant device which is all it needs to do. The drivers already exist in windows (hence no downloading favst) it's just refusing to use them!

I then tried with it plugged into just the commander, and that was even worse. Fans didn't kick in at all. Which is fun on an overclocker 3770k (they're not exactly cool!!)

The issues I'm having elsewhere are just known link software bugs, but the H100i is something different :/

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem with mine using a sabertooth mobo. I then did a complete uninstall and installed as an administrator and it has been working ever since.

8. chris182

What? The link software or a complete OS rebuild?

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

tried from the windows admin account?
    create a new shortcut: cmd then right click and run as admin, then type net user administrator /active:yes + enter. If it is confirmed you did it correctly. then switch users to new admin account trun of AV and try again.

10. chris182

Yes, installed on an admin account. Would you ever try and install a device *not* on an admin account?

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yeah I know windows calls it and admin account but the only one that really is a full admin account is the windows hidden admin account. (as it runs everything as admin)

12. chris182

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Just tried it and still no joy! :(

On a brighter note, I think I'm starting to phase out the noise. Or I'm going deaf in one ear.... :/

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Last edited: 9 May 2013
  14. chris182

Read my original post again. It's not control I'm having issues with. It's getting the whole goddamn thing recoginsed in the first place!

But yes, for the record, stock fans

15. total zombie

just an idea but do you have access to another system you could try it on to confirm the h100i is fully working?

16. chris182

I don't easily. I might try taking it into work. It's worth a shot I suppose :)

I'm at loath to take it out of the case, because trust me the 300r and the h100i are not exactly the best of friends!! :/

17. total zombie

if you can get a pc to try it on it would give you a good place to go next