1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I just earned my newbie stripes..Man what a lesson.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by psychron, 21 Jan 2002.

1. psychron

psychron What's a Dremel?

I went out and got a hold of a roto-zip with a cutting bit 1/8". I then practiced on aluminum siding so I could gauge the control and feel of the cutting. I knew it cut a pretty wide diameter, so I intended on cutting a little to the inside of my trace marks where I outlined my window, you know with the washer to give room during the cut for the molding to be added on afterwards. Well I thought I had the cutting process under control but I failed to cut and compensate for the wide diameter of the 1/8" bit and ended up cutting right square down the line...wouldn't have been a problem if the incision I was making was skinnier..I have a hole that is too big for the window..Man that sucks..but live and learn I guess. I got another door coming in a few days. So for any other newbies out there..practice, practice and practice some more...good luck yall.:eek:

2. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Er, you couldn't have gotten a bigger window?

3. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

goto Home Depot and get a piece of acrylic and cut a new window slightly larger. 1/8" thick 18"x24" piece was less than 5$ last time i got some.

peace.
    UnLoadeD

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

2 weeks ago it was 3.20$ :)

5. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

ouch :/ u could always get a factory fit window ?:p

6. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

the factory windows are better looking than my perfectly fit window with the giant black moulding

7. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

The thinner 1cm odd stuff is ok though IMHO :) .... personally not overly keen on the rivets and sharp edge of the prefits but thats probably just me ..... plus they dont do PC70 ones .... :D

8. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

if your gonna paint your case, you could always grind down the rivets and use a little body filler to make the side panel smooth

9. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

ok, first off, why paint your nice aluminum case? kinda defeats the purpose of spending hunderds of dollars. and second, if you ground the rivets off i would think that would make them not work seeing as they need to be able to hold onto the metal.

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i like the rivets... might use it as a theme on my pc60.. mebbe

they do do the factory fit for the pc70 - what else wuld the pc75 be :p (they just haven't got as mainstream as the pc65 windows ;))

yep grinding them off would fck it :/
    but you may be able to take the brackets and rivets off and glue the acrylic window?

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If it hasn't already been suggested coz I am in a hurry to do some work how about using blowhole trim to finish the edge and slap a piece of acrylic inside and attatch it with velcro ... just one of my mad ideas .....
    You can get loads of blowhole trim from maplin for a couple of quid ... have a search for pvc cord on their site

12. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

....... is there no end to the uses of that stuff !!!! :D:D

13. psychron

psychron What's a Dremel?

I can always count on you crazy modders...lol

I knew you guys could come up with some alteranatives..appreciate the extra ideas on what to do next..I will try getting that blow hole trim and some sealant..maybe industrial strength velcro..and custom fit the window....appreciate the info.