1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Création n°3 // ITX Bamboo HTPC- 30.01.3015 - Update 6 (and MOTM nominee)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Monsieur R., 17 Feb 2013.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I'm in love Monsieur <3 keep up the brilliant work!

2. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Great work! :thumb:

3. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Looks sweet :thumb:

My guess for the big bracket is a psu holder too, the others..no idea :D

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I'll go fetch the popcorn, you keep modding

5. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Very impressive so far!

6. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

Looks absolutely stunning!

Sorry to hear about the burglary! :(

7. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Thanks a lot Boorach. :) And, about abilities, I don't have a lot. I just had time, last year, to play a little bit with Sketchup, and since, I had even more patience to wait for my parts to be laser cutted.

Thanks a lot guys :hip:

Don't worry about the burglary. I just see the good sides : it made a little space on my desk, so I don't have to wonder anymore where I will put my iMac when this project will be close to its end. ^^ And, the very bright side : the insurance bonus was high enough so it will pay me 100% oc Création n°3's costs. :hehe:

Well, as far as I know, I'm not a big fan of fastening stuff, or screws, or riveting... I think I will only use epoxy where it will be absolutely necessary, but in the majority of the cases, the pieces are so tightly adjusted that they hold by themselves. Probably I will change my mind, probably don't. All I can say is, before final assembly, I will have to anodize everything. Or not... :lol:

Thanks a lot Nate. And thanks a lot for having shared my humble wor on E22's Facebook Page. :clap: I have to confess I often visit your webstore, and I often think that your milling skills would help me. But I'll tell you in time.

And... congratulations ! We have two winners :clap::rock::thumb:

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll show you more on next update. Just can't say where, or when. ^^ And a final clue :

• [​IMG]

See you soon, and thanks again for all your nice words and your support :)

GuilleAcoustic and Waynio like this.
  8. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

the bay above the PSU is for the drives?? and guessing the clue is a radiator

9. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

You. I like you.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That 2.5" drive rack is pure awesomeness, this whole project is. :D:clap:

The stock wire channels for the awkward modular cables, awesome thinking again there, :idea::hip::dremel: some beautiful modding going on here but arrrrgh I'm seeing strong reason to be wanting to save up for a mill again, not necessarily a bad thing. :lol:

11. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

I gotta say, it's fun watching this thing come together. Keep up the great work.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Well done Monsieur. Out of curiosity, where did you have the laser cuts done ? I'm searching for a good place to have them done for a too much delayed scratch build :D.

En tout cas joli travail :thumb: (+Rep)

Last edited: 16 May 2013
  13. Monsieur R.

Hello guys :)

Thanks a lot for your nice words !
    @ PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn : The bay above the PSU won't be for drives, just two radiators (a 240 and a 120). The thing is I still don't know where I will fix my pump, and, furthermore, I still don't know if I will use a separate pump. Let's what future will tell me to do.

@ Guille : The aluminium and acrylic pieces have been cutted by TechLaser, which is a french company based in Sarthe (60 km away from Le Mans). You just need to send them your files (in DXF or DWG, for AutoCad 2007) and they will send you back a quote. It's less expensive as what I thought but, still, for now, Création n°3 cost me more than a Temjin TJ11... and it's not even 25% finished ! And I just talk about the frame, not the inside and the finishing elements.

14. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Al these updates :D

I love them, really a good job!

15. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Whats up in here?

16. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

looks great man! :)

17. Monsieur R.

Création n°3 - Spin-Off
    The HTPC strikes back again

- Rone, "Parade" in Tohu Bohu -

Hello Bit-Tech ! :clap:

It's been a long, looooong time since the last update. Something like, more or less, thirteen months. Maybe you don't care (and you should), but I have to tell you what hapend during my last year : I was robbed, the computer where the plans of Création n°3 were storred has been stolen, I've been in Japan for a few weeks, I got pregnant (oh wait, it's impossible, I'm a boy... or I think so), I had to focus on my new job (photogeekiness related), I had to move to a new appartment and spent a lot of money and time to "mod" it according to my needs, my girlfriend spent a year in Siberia, I stepped back from modding scene and... finally, I've decided a few weeks ago to come back. Real life sometimes happens. :rolleyes:

I could not leave Création n°3 unfinished and seeing it dismantled tore my heart. But, there is always a but, seeing its laser cutted reminded me the burglary. Furthermore, I've sold almost all the parts bought for it, so I had to restart it from zero. Really, from zero ? No, I have enough raw material (a lot of bamboo, aluminium and acrylic) sleeping here and there to make a new computer. Then I decided to reuse/recycle a few parts from Création n°3 to create a sort of Spin-Off. And because I already have a laptop for common asks, a smartphone for my music, a dedicated PC for my regular work, Lightroom and photoshop, another dedicated PC for Adobe Premiere, and I wanted something new, that I did'nt really need so I won't be stressed by the idea to not finish it before the deadline : a gaming HTPC. Hell yeah ! :rock:

Here are the main things to know for this Création n°3-Spin-Off-HTPC-maybeGaming challenge :
    - I now live with my girlfriend, so, because of the WAF, I have a limited budget, which is exactly 135€ (the price of her last pair of shoes), that's the deal.
    - I will have to reuse the maximum of raw material I already have.
    - Except for cuting, I will only use hand tools. I'm done with laser cutting.
    - This has to be fun. Hell yeah (bis) :D

And here we go :

[​IMG]
    Hand tools, simple materials, simple happiness.

[​IMG]
    The 20mm acrylic piece comes from my previous desks (that I had to dismantle in order to build my new kitchen). Budget : 0€.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still don't know if my HTPC will be fanless or not so I'll leave enough space to put a 120mm fan untill I've made my final decision.

[​IMG]

And now, HDD cages ! Yes, they are the aluminium cages I've made for Création n°3, it would have been a shame to throw them away. The question is now : how will I integrate them in the case ?

[​IMG]
    Bof.

[​IMG]
    :confused:

[​IMG]
    :sigh:

[​IMG]
    Classical but nice. I love it like this, but...

[​IMG]
    ... that leaves only 170mm between the cages and the edge of the case. Could be a problem with the MB. And if I tilt them a little bit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    180 mm ! :shaky::clap: But : I don't like the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I still don't know a lot of things, including how much the case will be tilted. But now, back to filing !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A new blue dress so I can draw new things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hello Création n°3's MB tray ! :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see a lot of filing coming. Again.
    Thanks a lot for your attention and, I hope, see you soon for the next step ;)

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Looks like I logged back into BT at just the right time! Still up there with one of my most anticipated projects :D

19. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

I like it!

20. Monsieur R.

Hi Nate ! Thanks to have you back on board :) This time, I hope I'll be able to finish the handcrafted parts of the HTPC project even if I won't totally give up my initial plans for Création n°3, I will just do it the initial way later...

I'm happy you like it. Welcome on this worklog :blush:

I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but I have a lot of filing to do on the acrylic and the bamboo. It's very time consuming, something like 2 hours per hole. Considering there is 4 holes for the HDD, 2 more holes for the other things (I'll tell you more about it later) but I can only work on my project 6 jours a week, there won't be big updates before next week-end.

BTW, when I was filing, I found a nice-looking (I hope so) solution to adress the absence of gap between the aluminium HDD and the MB, which could have caused short circuits. I'm waiting for the H97 board I bought to make a fit test, then I'll be able to move quicker.

In the meantime, I anticipated my future custom wiring and crimping work on my Pico PSU XT-150 and ordered some nice parts on Moddiy. And now, I have one month to learn how to weld like a pro (or, at least, the less badly possible) :D

[​IMG]