1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Why Centrino and VPNs Don't Mix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 2 Jun 2003.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

This from Wired:

Intel has a problem on its hands with its new chipset for wireless laptops: The Centrino chipset can freeze laptops trying to run software for creating Virtual Private Networks.

Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, are widely used "tunnels" that allow a user to connect to internal computer networks at businesses, schools and governments through the Internet.

VPNs are especially important when using public wireless hotspots, which are notoriously insecure. Intel's new Centrino chipset is designed to connect laptops to the Internet wirelessly, but without a VPN, a connection can be snooped on by a knowledgeable computer cracker.

According to Intel's website, only five VPN software clients are compatible with the new Centrino chipset, and only after a key software driver for the chipset is disabled.

Damn - So that means I won't be able to sercurely use my Samsung at Starbucks? ;)

I never learn. Never be an early adopter of new tech.... :rolleyes: :D

Full story here

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

And of course, the VPN bug and the worries over take up have nothing to do with the price cuts just announced on the Centrino chipset.....

3. Sky Hacker

Sky Hacker What's a Dremel?

ouch. take THAT stock holders....

4. Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death What's a Dremel?

I knew the Centrino was too good to be true...:rolleyes:

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Ahh I'm sure the problem will be ironed out soon, Intel are good at correcting their mistakes - anyone remeber the orginal pentiums that couldn't add up numbers?

Rob.

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

or the court order that stopped them making their best server chip... what ever happened about that anyways...

Tags: Add Tags