1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning quick help on a open desk build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by branndailor, 10 May 2013.

1. branndailor

branndailor What's a Dremel?

two questions
    1. know any 3d guy who would like to help me make the project in 3d? problem, i cant pay him because im broke.

2. when puttin mobo standoffs in wood is there a problem or should i solder a wire on the bottom of one and solder the other point on a metal part that touches the psu?

im thinking of building directly on the surface, cut holes with gromets all around the mobo, make a C around a mobo layout for a eatx board. in the drawer i would have it covered in eva foam pads to kill noise and vibration. psu spot is permanent (with a strut using only the top screws, no need for more) the rest of the drawer i will put 2 120m fans at the back and the air intake at the back panel, also put in a 3 socket extension cord in the drawer. the front io would be drilled out (salvaging a case i have) secured in the back with brackets that encases it so its a solid front io.. i have everything to make the build work any tips? the pcie support will be a curved strut that touches only 1 point of the desk.. the desk is white so i gotta work with that, the mobo is black and gold ad the gpu is fully black....
    if i could get a watercooling sponsorship i would use a yellow/gold fluid to match the board, dual 240 rads that are placed in a v like shape at the backpump will be in the middle of the rads, eva foam under pump to not transfer vibrations, i want the exits/entrances of the pump and rads to be visible the, into the foam gromets in the C cutout around the mobo (using drawer space to be sloppy with tubing). cpu direct to pump, pump to res (maybe tube res) , res to one res and the connections done as clean as possible... but i cant afford water cooling but adding the support for that build.
    this is about a day or 2 of work but should be easy, the wood work will be done at a shop and the bracket for each hole (the size of the hole but wider to be screwed down) so if i put foam there it will be flat. sandwich the foam to the desk pretty much..
    idk got tons of idea and sufficient funds i hope.. getting around $700 for the build most for the fab.

basic overlay. red is res, can be on top or in drawer, put gromets there in the red instead, black is a hole with eva foam to hide everything in it, green is eatx size board, dark purple rese 240s, pink front io, lined would be the tube layout i think would look best, blue being direct from pump, rotated counterclockwise pretty much starting at cpu->gpu->rad->rad->res->pump

front io will be moved. the gromet will stay there but more centerlized. the io will go on edge of desk, i saw that it fit

[​IMG]
    direct link if image doesnt work http://i40.tinypic.com/35mdutf.png

edit.

will post top down view of table with my mobo on the spot i want it. and of the front on where i want the io

also, the tubing lines isnt where they will go just a circulation diagram i know things are out of place.

Last edited: 10 May 2013
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Download sketchup and give it a go yourself. There's loads of tutorial videos on youtube and pc parts on 3d warehouse, you'd be amazed at what you can do after a bit of practice. That way, you'll also be able to play around with ideas and see what's actually possible.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

2nd the sketchup idea, took me about a week to get decent at it.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You'll be surprised what you can pick up. I didn't have any experience with 3d software previously and managed to make this alphacool 670 block with nothing but it's outermost dimensions
    [​IMG]

5. branndailor

yeah looks liki imma have to breakout 3ds max out of its hiding hole and model some... now just to find the 3d material...

also, anyone know if skipping the mobo tray and screwing directly into the wood would be bad?
    i can use my cases tray without a propblem, but im trying to make this without limiting to current stuff like trays. want it low and overall sleek. tray would raise that up :/

btw, thanks for the 3d warehouse tip, found many things there.

Last edited: 11 May 2013
  6. branndailor

double post sorry.

alright this is what i got so far.. singled out top view so you guys could understand the problem... (used to be great at 3 modeling but forgot everything... no joke. used to make mods for games)

anyways... here is the wireframe. [​IMG]

those V lines connected to each corner cant be deleted or moved to another spot or the whole table deletes... dafuq?? i managed to get 3 of the holes cut out but that one is being a lil rascal./...

anyone know an easier way to do this?? i might make a new plane with more polys and maybe it will have a different spot to connect to when i cut it... this is the method im using btw ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TQKPau_Zg )

FORGET ALL THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

current status.

[​IMG]
    blue is the table surface, the red color in each hole is the space available in the drawer below. its currently a place but imma extrude it after i reduce the amount of vertices .. look at this lol [​IMG] so imma weld a bunch of vertices just so its not all messed up and ugly like that... also changing the gpu, that one is one i found and im putting a water cooled one there because i will make this water cooling compatible.. but sadly that will only happen if i can get a sponsorship. but anyways gonna keep plugging away

the system is already fully built,
    cpu- 3570k
    mobo- asrock extreme 4 z77
    3 500gb hdd
    1 120gb ssd
    gpu- 7870 2gb oc
    cooler- noctua nh c14
    psu- antec 520 eco (needs an upgrade asap, old and keeps shutting off randomly)

EDIT..

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF i just noticed i need to rotate the mobo to have the power buttons facing the front of the desk..... oh ffs... oh well more practice so i can get back in my gta iv car modding scene... man i forgot everything about max :l

edit so i dont quad post.

current progress. that par to support the pcie will me modified so its a single thickness OR maybe a different shape. the rads and other stuff on the table is so i can do different setups with water cooling. the holes will be covered like said before. here is the progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gonna cover the holes with box primatives because there isnt a need to be specific and im terrible at this.

this would be the final step like it is now, just add foam grommets in the holes, with an io on the front like this.. you can see where wires will be in the pink, need to finish the rest.

the front io is that small green patch. will take it off my case and support the hell out of it.. finishing up the final build before i can joke around with the water cooling dream if i was given a hand with by some generous companies.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------

to no quint post...

here is the desk done. and the wires... oh shut up lol!
    [​IMG]

NOW

to play with water cooling loops

Last edited: 11 May 2013
  7. branndailor

gonna double post to update... sorry.

here is 1 water cooling possibility. have the 360 rad flush with desk. with the fans in pull only. easier to clean the rad this way.
    i sucked with tubing in 3ds max so i just gimped it real quick... 2 different angles 1 loop.
    rad->90* connector->res->cpu->gpu->pump->rad.

[​IMG]

other angle

[​IMG]

ignore the other rads those are for other ideas... plenty of space in drawer and all the tube that needs to get in there will go though the cutouts like planned.

8. branndailor

another thought. but idk.
    [​IMG]

9. branndailor

another progress bump.

no i didnt forget about hdds, the case i have has a removable cage :).. well its riveted in place but i can remove it :)

added the tubing... i know it looks like crap, did my best. also real tubing will be much easier to position... the pipe is yellow, because my motherboard has gold accents on it so the table would be black with a yellow/gold liquid..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the liquid will move in a counterclockwise in this order.
    1. res
    2. cpu
    3. gpu
    4. pump
    5. rad
    6. res

man im tired.. 24hours up and been fiddling with max for about 13 hours if my math is correct....

pretty much done. gonna go with a 360 rad in only pull (provides semi fresh air for psu) inside the drawer i will have tons of space to properly layout everything

on the RAD to RES connection i would rather have a 90* elbow there so there is no tube but idk if i can do that....

but thats it, i got everything to get it done except water cooling stuff, but either way it will be built in this config... unless someone can pitch in an idea or two (greatly appreciated)

edit

on the top surface of the rad, having a 360 billet from mnpctech damn id be happy

quick edit.

the table surface is 150cm x 52cm.. not as long as my current desk but im not sure if a new one will be made or will just cut out holes. (thinking new one, with door for utility drawer)

the drawer area will be 77cm tall, 60cm wide, 50cm deep.

edit....

further development.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

plenty of space for "activities" in the drawer area.

Last edited: 12 May 2013
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Couple of random thoughts...
    -The bracket for the PCIE will probably hit ports on the cards.-too Thick.
    -Your mobo countersink in the desk should be a bit bigger so you can access the sata ports without a complete teardown.
    -If you are sacrificing a drawer, why not move the mobo into it too?
    -A good spot for the radiator is the underside past where your knees go. -there's a big dead spot there unless you are a basketball player.

-Crazy idea: Can you make a way for the mobo to stay in the drawer until you need to work on it, then have it pop up to desktop level with a hidden mechanism?

11. branndailor

--the rad location, there it would be just above the psu in pull config, give int iar, and also keeping the rad flush with the desk making it unique and also extremely easy to clean with my desktop oriented painters brush.

-the mobo will be above the desk. the height of stand offs.

-the pcei brackets i... agree lol- but there is space for 2 dual slot cards without a problem right now, was thinking of a shame similar to the billet handles by bill owen.

-moving the mobo in the drawer would be doing what everyone does when they build a desk, then slap op glass over it and call it done.... but i want mine on top, especially since the board has buttons which would eliminate power/reset front io button.. also want part removal to be fast and easy (this is the fastest way i can think of)

-rad position, underneath the desk i have a smaller chair where i rest my fee on( goes about half their height of the table)

- popping up mechanism... hmm i couldnt think of a way to make that happen and be stable, remember this is gonna be air cooled unless a company is nice enough to slap me with a sponsorship.. and my air cooler, is pretty heavy so idk, would also make the wires/tubes always have slack in them so they can retract.

thanks cheapskate :) appreciate your input, this is the first design.. there will be a few others i havent been having time to work on, but all built on that centralized mobo with grommeted holes around it.. will work on other ideas tonight when i know i wont be able to sleep.

--edit--

i know having the mobo sticking out on top of the desk is a hazard but this will truly be a "desk top computer"... i like the looks of it and im extremely careful with my computer stuff, clean it every week (full strip down with a brush to clean every single dust particles lol)

12. branndailor

will post more ideas but as for right now, im tired as hell havent slept in a while and i also just restored my desktop (do it every other month).. will get max reinstalled and keep plugging away at designs... i want to keep the rads in pull only because of cleaning, but anyways ill post the other ideas later like in 8-10 hours.. need to sleep big time.