1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Thanks! I'm loving the finish, though on the flip side of that, such a pristine matte black anodized finish will likely show up the marks nicely once it gets used in anger. We'll see after tomorrow!

Though, if I'm honest at this point I'm more concerned about breaking myself than the bike... it's been a while. But as they say, it's just like riding a bike :D

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'd say it'll last longer than gloss, no? Time will tell.

Keep safe, you've got your helmet so keep it on, and you'll be fine.

Also if you're really worried about breaking yourself I'd get some of these. Theres nothing like knowing that you CAN throw a knee down if you really start to go. But thats more from my experience of snowboarding and skating than cycling.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Yeah racks are bloody expensive but if I put the wife and I's bikes on the Golf they are worth more than the car. Thule roof bars, feet, mounting points and two bike carriers for the Golf came to over £400 which is why I went with the boot mount.

Are those shoes SPD's or flats? I would change pedals soon and before you go anywhere get some gloves! If you fall you will put out your hands so gloves should be your first priority.

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I disagree, hence why I own two mid nineties Kona's :p. I just much prefer the look of thin straight tubing.

5. Mister_Tad

They're SPDs - like so http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spiuk-zs11-mtb-shoe/

The bike itself came pedal-less and I shant be replacing the pedals as I only just got them! They're these - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...t/review-shimano-m647-dx-clipless-pedal-14726

I'll probably pick up some gloves at some point, just not something I've gotten around to yet. I was thinking of them more from the point of view of grip in the wet though.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Get both winter and summer gloves, I've got some lightweight fingerless gloves for the summer and far thicker full fingered ones in winter. Like Baboon said, if you come off the bike, hands are going out first.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Blimey. If we're talking that much I wouldn't trust them to a rack at all, they're going inside. :p

8. Mister_Tad

Perhaps in one of these

9. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

One problem with that bike. It's too clean.

I love the DX spuds they give a nice platform for the really tricky stuff

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I can't remember a day where my bike didn't have muck marks on it :p Even my cross country that is currently mostly in bits has a bit of a mucky frame.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Love the bike btw _tad (I got distracted with the shocking value of Baboon's bikes) - the colour suits the frame really nicely. :D

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

there are alot of shockingly expensive bikes in this thread! It's no good for when you are wanting to have a cheap month. I am going to get a bike rack off M_D_K begining of june - when I have that full of my bikes - that's about 8 - 9 times my cars value hanging off the back hehe.

And yeah, seconded - lovely new bike!

And i'll go with what everyone else is saying, get some gloves your your hands. I don't like fingerless gloves really, I have myriad of trail gloves and one pair of windproof/waterproof big gloves for the winter.

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Need some help finding parts to fix a carrier to my bike.

Partner bought a child seat for my bike, which also needed a carrier to be mounted on. Unfortunately my bike frame has no threaded holes to fix the carrier to.

So I wanna get some clamps to use as shown in these pics I found on t'web:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i.e. a metal clamp with rubber exterior to grip/protect the frame. Seems in the US they're referred to as loop clamps and I can find some on Ebay, but only for import from US at ridiculous price.

Anyone know what they're known as in UK and a cheap place to source them?

Thanks.

Last edited: 18 May 2013
  14. unicorn13ocp

unicorn13ocp Staying sane inside Insanity

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Typical paranoid mechanic's warning: if you're bolting a child to the back of your bike, ensure you only use metal hardware that has been installed properly. I'm all for sticking a child on the back of a bike, but I'm certainly not in favour of them falling off!

Those little clamps will do the job provided they're the correct size and secured properly using good quality hardware. Some common names for them include: P-clamps/clips, band-clamps/clips, straps.

Keep in mind that many local bike shops do carry them, and quite often will have a range of sizes (a company by the name of Jandd do a rather quality selection). So be sure to check there, otherwise head into your local hardware store and see what they have in their conduit and pipe sections.

16. Mister_Tad

Fixt!

[​IMG]

Never mind falling off, turns out whipping past bushes at speed can be quite hard on gloveless knuckles... lesson learned, gloves ordered :blush:

I managed to only die once on my mountain biking debut yesterday, and only down to my own incompetence. I adjusted the clips to my liking on each pedal, neglecting to consider that there were indeed two sides to each pedal. Long story short, left foot didn't unclip, and my left hip, knee and shoulder are somewhat sore today.

Apparently it was hilarious for onlookers though. I like to keep people entertained...

Last edited: 19 May 2013
  17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm having a job finding much support on the web for the idea of mounting a child seat using p-clips due to excessive loading on the two clips by the wheel axle. Is there a more heavy duty option?

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Have you bought the seat? Maybe return it for a seat tube mounted one.

*sales pitch on*
    Or get a new bike to fit the seat?
    *sales pitch off*

An option could be fabricating something for between the wheel axle and the seat rack.

Like Malv said, "Typical paranoid mechanic's warning". I personally wouldn't do it and I've refused to sell people child seats on the basis that if I'm not happy it's not going out the shop door.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Was out today noting amazing to report bar me getting chased by small dogs as usual. Decided on the way down a fire trail I need to sort of the cable slap. So on the way back caked in mud still wearing leg and arm pads I went into B&Q and picked up some clear protection tape and double sided Velcro like the stuff you get on a muckynutz fender. Should solve the slapping brake cable.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

They are plenty strong enough, provided they're installed correctly. Biggest issue in my opinion is if the bicycle itself can handle the strain applied to that area if it's not designed for it. As an example just take a look at This bike. Nearly 60lbs permanently mounted on the rear rack of it, which is mounted in exactly the same way you want to mount your rack. Biggest potential difference is that the frame is quite strong, steel, and I don't really care if I break it - so your situation could very well be different.

What I'm basically saying is: it'll probably work, it'll probably be fine, but there is a not unreasonable chance that it won't work and won't be fine.