1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Python Project?

Discussion in 'Software' started by woody_294, 16 May 2013.

1. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I'm learning Python, but I can't think of anything to do with it, anyone got any ideas for a project? I find learning a lot easier if I'm actually trying to do something.

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Web dev interest you? Check out frameworks like Flask or Django.

2D Games interest you? You can try Pygame.

Data collection / manipulation? Its super easy to do web scraping in python. Beautifulsoup is popular for that, but there's plenty of other libraries too.

You can write programs to automate things. There's a "SSH" module that allows you to make application calls very easily. There's also libraries that help you write command line tools (dealing with command line arguments specifically), check out OptParse.

You can write GUI applications for any OS using GTK+ or QT bindings. I've been experimenting with PySide (a QT binding).

There's pretty much endless possibilities, and libraries for almost anything.

3. woody_294

Thanks bubster! Although I have no idea what some of that is, lol. Lots of food for thought, I fancy getting into linux too as I haven't really touched it, would linux and python be a good pair? Don't know what I'd make for Linux though

4. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Sure. Linux and python get along very nicely.

Sorry I didn't provide any specific ideas. Perhaps there's something you do in your day to day life on computers that you could automate?

For example. Maybe you commonly take pictures, copy them to a folder, rename them, resize then, and then upload them.
    You could automate most if not all of that process in Python. There's a Python library for dealing with images, and its super simple to resize them. It's called PIL.

5. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Imagine anything you do that's even remotely repetitive. For instance, I do daily updates on my chromium browser since I'm using nightly builds. I haven't actually written a script myself to do this, but you could write a python script and set it up to run at login so that it grabs the latest build and installs it for you.

Think of stuff like that, and code it. If you wanna start using python even more productively, look into using it as a backend to web applications. That's always a nice thing to do with scripting languages.

6. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

You could check out the raspberry pi, named for Python. Just about every project (bar those using scratch) will utilise your new python skills. Just learning it myself on codeacademy.

7. woody_294

Oh right, didn't realise they were so interrelated. Yeah do want a raspberry pi too. Will have to do the code academy one, did afterhoursprogramming one the other day

8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Also on the subject of the rpi, I use mine to develop both my python and electronic skills by using python to control the GPIO pins. If your looking to something practical to do, have a look on the PiBorg website.
    http://www.piborg.com/picy1

9. woody_294

Oh dear, so python, a rPi, electronics, and a robot. I am sold!

10. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Yup it gets you like that! If you need any supplies let me know!

11. woody_294

Yep, I am speccing up my birthday present now, hopefully my 8 year old son will be interested and it can be another project, after we finish his Minecraft MP3 speaker.

*Edit* Any idea where to get the wheels and gearboxes from? also, just seen the diorama type model at the bottom "GREAT SCOTT!" :D

Nvm, found them, probably get the from there to be getting on with, but they look pretty boring, and they're slow, lol

Last edited: 24 May 2013