1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Alternative proxy servers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dad, 4 Jun 2003.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I'm trying to get my employer to start migrating our servers from Windows 2k over to a Linux OS and figure that I'd start with our proxy. Problem is that I'm the only one in the department that has experience with Linux. I know Squid is a great proxy server, but I need to install something that's more "user friendly" before they would consider the switch. Is there something out there that's robust and would run without a problem on a "recycled" computer? Something like Smoothwall, but dedicated more towards the Proxy side?

2. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, that's what I'm thinking that I'll have to do. I just wanted to make things easy for the other people here and thought that there might be something out there that was already striped down - something like Smoothwall is.

4. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

I just checked on the ipcop and smoothwall websites, and it seems they both incorporate squid within them. So you should be able to use either of them as a proxy :thumb:

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Ooooo.... Cool! I knew that Smoothwall had a sort of Proxy built-in, but didn't realize they integrated Squid! :) Gonna have to fire up a test box to mess with!

Tags: