1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 1 Jun 2013.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately we had serious time pressure on this one with the samples arriving very late indeed from Intel. Coupled with the fact Harry's been working on the new GeForce launches, he and Ed are now in Taiwan for Computex and I've been on holiday for the last seven days (pre-booked before I even knew the NDA), meant I had a matter of hours to do several day's-worth of testing and write the review. Reading comments like this do feel like a kick in the teeth given the late nights spent getting any kind of article out in time - apologies if it's not up to scratch, we had our reasons, and we'll endeavour to do better in future!

N17 dizzi likes this.
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not that impressed, doesn't make me want to upgrade in the slightest.

Will be interesting to see what happens with prices etc once more stuff comes out.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, as the i5-4670K is probably the more interesting one for us gamers, you'll get a chance to do another article, soon I hope ;-)

4. Andy M

Andy M What's a Dremel?

Thank you for including the i7 920 in some of the tables. I guess I'm not the only one thinking about updating my system to one with a newer processor.

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

And yet again I'll be sticking with my 2600K :thumb:

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Nothing I've seen screams upgrade for what its worth. Would prefer to see a more mainstream intel 6 core CPU with a price that's more attainable.

Sandy to haswell would be a good way to waste cash in brutal honesty. Unless you use a program that benifits from it. ( if you do x79 is still likely quicker and has been out for ages)

Till the software we use starts to benifit from the multi thread multi core technology that's out there every review of CPU tech is going to be meh.

Hyperthreading has been out years yet the amount of program's that can use it are not alot.( ignoring all benchmarks talking about actual program's that are used to do **** with benching is a tool)

The amount of program's that can even use 4 cores is small, take that to 6 cores and the list is tiny.

CPU tech has gone way passed most needs even hardcore pc gamers would be hard pressed if you ran this CPU an i7920 and a sandy 2500k in bf3 as the game does not use the CPU power available. You would probably be able to run it at the same settings on each system assuming the same Gpu.

Anandtech has a Gpu bench for civ 5 ( one of the more CPU heavy benches) between top and c2d is around 30fps. In the next game they tested the difference was 5 FPS between top and bottom.

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Don't apologise. He may have had a (semi) valid point, on one article, but he put it across in a thoroughly obnoxious and over the top manner. It was totally uncalled for. That degree of hostility and self-regard doesn't deserve an apology.

Oh, and talking of obnoxious:

Any more sweeping generalisations you'd like to make? I mean your story does explain why the UK is such an economic pygmy and the rest of Europe is such a booming success, so thanks for explaining that to us. It must be hard being one of the only intelligent and hardworking people in the country, so thanks for your contribution.

I really don't understand why some people seem to come on the internet with a default setting of 'maximum aggression'. Virtually no-one is rude to me in real life, ever, yet rudeness is almost considered the norm online. What is it about anonymity that flips the switch in some peoples heads? I really don't understand...

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Oh, and I meant to say: Proofreading. One word.

9. springbok82

springbok82 What's a Dremel?

Is it worth it to upgrade from X58 on i7 930 to Haswell? I think this question has more relevance?

10. cdb

cdb No comment

Will these be in the shop next week?

When do the NDAs on the motherboard expire?

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks for bringing that up....+1

What the hell Andrews comments has to do with intels latest release is beyond me.

Another marginal increase in performance at the price of increased temps I'd imagine.

13. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

If that is the case, Then why not ask for a transfer to a position back in your own country. McDonalds have branches all over Europe..

14. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Hmmm... still sitting here with my 920 @ 3.8 dieing to upgrade but not feeling it whatsoever. Perhaps I'll wait for another 'tock'.

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Why? Because I can and although "sweeping" to the point of blatant black and white with zero room for any gradient of grey is all down to the culture of the UK not looking at whats given to them and thinking "well hold on, as these speeds all vary then the tests are all technically incorrect, If I generalize at 5ghz for example and work up scores by a percentage basis I actually come to a value X rather than a value of Y which means that the test subject is actually far better than initially perceived?! Well Ill be dammed! How could I be so blind as to see such correlation?! #rhetoric maybe its because of the nature of the beast and the ultimate reason as to why most of the country is so dammed lazy. Oh #lol!"

Its the inability to rub more than 2 brain cells together that grinds my gears and unfortunately the UK is becoming more and more lazy and ultimately more dense by the day by any intellectual standard.

These guys at bit-tech create the review. It gets picked apart and people say "well isnt it rubbish" and thats all because they havent spent any longer than 2 seconds to process the information and work out whats in front of them for themselves. Its human nature to follow the route of less resistance, perhaps the enthusiast in us should put a little more effort into bending that trend otherwise the industry is simply going to become stagnant in this particular field.

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Soon on both counts!

17. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Im a white English male 17 traced generations back and probably even more ignoring the french that populated our shores the best part of a thousand years ago. You given by your comment are merely a troglodyte and a probable plague to this country with your complete and utter disregard for equality and evidently a racist.

walle likes this.
  18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

People are saying they're unimpressed, which is fair enough, your response seemed way overboard.

There's nothing here which particularly impresses me, maybe when I've had a play tomorrow my mind will be blown, but I don't see why it would be, just slight increases across the board.

Edit:
    And your most recent post? Wow.

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Lol racist when you are completley predudice against benefeit claimants regardless of their situations???????????????

Seriously...play by your own rule book?

...plus I seriously suggest you take a good sniff of what you are shovelling!!!!

20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I agree, on face value it easy to be unimpressed but without looking over the bigger picture and taking a minute to process whats given to them you can only ever be unimpressed.

People go to great lengths to criticise the work of others without concideration for the work that may have been involved in the process.

Generalising with statements as over the top as I have is sometimes required for others to take a moment, to step back and to rethink something. Being racist because someone points out that the country they live in is lazy by standards of old is over stepping it.

Tags: Add Tags