1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Switch to Ethernet wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lxrysprtmscl, 3 Jun 2013.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

a little background.
    I recently changed rooms in my house. where once I was the room next to the Wireless Router, I am now the room further from the router. I am able to get internet at the closest corner of my room; 26.84Mb/s DL; 10.37Mb/s UL.

devices requiring internet.
    computer. connected via Netgear WNCE2001.
    Xbox 360 slim. connected via built-in WiFi.
    PS3. not currently connected.

usage.
    computer and console at the same time more often than not. Netflix, Online multiplayer gaming, web browsing, etc.

now, the questions.
    1) Could I connect each device to a Switch and have the Switch get internet via the Wireless-N Adapter?
    2) What other solution is there? besides 30+ meters of Ethernet cable throughout my house.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  2. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

No idea what you "Wireless-N adapter" is like -- I'd need it's name to check -- does it have just one ethernet port, any datasheets anywhere? (Never seen anything like that before so no idea how it works.) My gut feeling is that it should just work...

Back home I had something similar, where I used a second router running dd-wrt to connect to a wifi network with 3 computers connecting to that via ethernet (apparently it had a better antenna than my laptop and even my desktop with external antenna). They call it "client-bridge", possibly the following link might be useful: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

// Edit: it may even be cheapest just to buy a dd-wrt compatible router from ebay rather than buying a switch for your current setup, probably worth looking at.

3. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

thanks for the quick response qualalol.
    I am using the Netgear WNCE2001 for my PC.
    and not quite sure what dd-wrt is, will have to check that out, but trying to avoid purchasing another router, as I just got it about a year ago.

4. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?