1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Grid 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Happy, 23 Apr 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Well I still gots Dirt 2 so maybe I will give it another go. I did actually get into it a bit ages ago and liked some of the races.

FOV is something I've become much more aware of over the past few years. Bioshock 1 had very narrow FOV didn't it. Some games just look kind of odd when you're moving around but you don't know why exactly (well I didn't anyway). I found myself widening the FOV to maximum on Crysis 3 as well.

I have a friend who gets what he calls motion sickness with a percentage of games. He's ok on BF3, CSS, Metro Last Light but he says he can't play the new Call of Juarez. I'm wondering if it's less to do with motion and more FOV related.

Gonna install Dirt 2 again later today.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Must say i am enjoying this game, have not played online yet but i will check that out at some stage, not sure i like the idea of people ramming into you for fun.

A really fun game to play but maybe not worth the price steam is asking, i got it from here for £17 and don't regret paying that much.

3. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

i think the game gets much better when you go to europe and you get some decent cars that dont slide at every opportunity. I also love the cote dezue run in the old m3. its a great course

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Not there yet but not far off, just need to find time to play.

I have noticed i get a graphical glitch whenever i crash the car hard, the screen goes funny before returning to normal, i don't think it is meant to do that! have the latest drivers for my HD 7950

*A quick read on Codemasters forums and that is meant to be like that WTF*

5. Stanley Tweedle

It looks like need for speed arcade in terms of car driving realism.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive seen enough to know i dont like it.

7. Stanley Tweedle

I reckon so.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll buy it on sale for a fiver in the future and rag through the storyline, but meh.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I agree with Gunsmith's comment above that Dirt 2 was better than Dirt 3 - I understand what you mean about Dirt 3 not having that 'something' that Dirt 2 had... Don't get me wrong - Dirt 3 was very enjoyable, just not quite what Dirt 2 was...

Looks like this is being offered free alongside Haswell chips so I'll be giving this a try for free! (well not really free but no extra outlay) - I'm intrigued but going on the footage above I don't expect to be blown away...

10. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

I've played a few races and struggling to get to grips with the arcade handling and lack of real skill needed. Been on NFS Shift 2 for a while so coming across to this is a real change of style.

It's a game that wants to focus purely on the racing side of things, which it does well. I'm giving it a week as change always hails bad thoughts first, unless it's Windows 8, which started "Meh" and got worse there after.

11. Stanley Tweedle

I never had problem with windows 8. Only thing I dislike is the Skype it has. Worst version of skype ever created.

Shift 2 is a lot of fun even with the annoying lag on the wheel. They got rid of that lag for project cars.

12. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

slaw likes this.
  13. mikemaher205

There's an annoying problem that when you set the game to full screen, then Alt+Tab out, it reverts it to 800x600 and turns full screen off. I hope a patch will fix this.

I've started to enjoy Grid 2. I've stopped looking at it as a serious race simulator and viewed it as something to fill half an hour of boredom in between other proper games. t does this well.

@Stanley Tweedle - Yes, Skype was completely awful on Windows 8 Modern UI, I think that's what did it in for me.

14. Stanley Tweedle

I used to like Flatout for the same reason. It was arcade but fun.

I only paid £24.99 for win 8 so I don't mind. I don't have probs with anything else on it. Just don't like that skype. I have yet to find the control panel where u adjust sound device and mic levels on win 8 skype. I guess it doesn't even have that prefs panel.

15. mikemaher205

From what I have heard, the Microsoft team have focused their efforts on Link, and now it's done they are moving man power to the development of Skype, so hopefully it will get sorted soon.

I hope a patch for Grid 2 is realised soon to fix the reported problems and bugs. My graphics are still a problem but overall I'm happy with Grid 2. No match, in terms of driver simulator, for NFS SHIFT 2 (in my opinion) but for a shiny, arcade, bit-of-fun game, it's spot on.

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Played a few hours now, so what do i think

PROS: Good looking
    Good racing events
    Good ...............

CONS: Patronizing **** on the over comms / commentary. I could leave the game to punch his stupid face in.
    Driving seems to be hit and miss, one corner you can nail it, the next you total your car!

This is a good game, but not for any seriuos driver. A great driving game but do not pay more then £20 on it, wait for a sale.

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I tried it a few hours ago. I didn't like all these stupid things that slow you down. Big things sliding across the screen telling you how many fans you had and all that jazz. I set it to medium, and hate the old thing where you are racing against other cars, you are driving flat out, and the computer AI cars, just seem to have more oomph and power to just overtake. I mean I only had two races but I'd find it pretty hard to believe anyone could get first place. Ultimately though, I didn't want to spend hours changing my car decals, the sponsors and all that bs (not that you are forced to obviously), but I there was just too much glitz getting in the way. I mean you can't even press space to fast forward past what look like cut scenes type stuff. ><

If I could only buy the multi player part for like £5 and skip out the part where you play against the pc, I would tbh.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

With only a few month left until GT6 gets released I won't buy this game as all reviews sound rather discouraging. Too arcardy and the career-mode is not that good. All that's offered is nice graphics apparently and alot of fuzz like drift-challenges etc instead of good pure racing.

19. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I quite enjoy it. But I enjoyed the first as well, and Dirt 3 is a fav of mine. The only thing that annoys me endlessly with these games are the incredibly annoying menus. I don't care about fan ratings, or adding sponsors to my cars. I just want to drive!

I was bored yesterday, so I played around with some editing:

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Jesus Christ did you intentionally pick the shittest "music"?