1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple reveals iOS7, 'biggest change' since 1st iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jun 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Looks like they've taken bits and pieces from other companies, the first image I saw was this:
    http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68094000/png/_68094937_ios7.png

I had to ask if that was the old or the new style since I couldn't tell.
    The images in the article make it clearer, the main screen does look better, although not a massive fan of that pull-up, just looks a little out of place? Not sure if it's the colour or style that's not working for me (or both :p).

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Finally, toggles!!! Jesus, I've been using them on jailbroken iPhones for about 4 years. Way, way overdue Apple.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think it all looks a bit weird because its not on real phone (a new phone aswell would have made me explode :) )

Some better screens:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/#videos

Last edited: 10 Jun 2013
  4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

In a good way?
    Based on the last couple of models, even if it had been on a new phone it would have looked the same so meh.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's a white iPhone 5. Bootleg photo from the keynote taken by someone sitting to the left. It's badly cropped and hasn't been keystone corrected.

6. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

Can't believe how long it's taken them to copy SBSetttings, Zephyr and the like. Kinda feel sorry for the guys behind some of my favourite tweaks when Apple do eventually include similar in iOS.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

While I do agree with you, apple does add a bit of polish to it don't you agree. People make the jailbreak tweaks in order to get the phone how they want. If apple do it for them then its problem solved and they get an ego boost out of it too.

If anything it'll reassure them that Apple is (kind of) listening and will make the JB tweaks better.

I think this comes under the definition of google fanboy :D
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/10/ios7-vs-android-a-quick-comparison-after-the-wwdc-keynote/

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

This looks like Android and has alot of features that HTC are pushing currently with Zoe.

So with Apple taking everyone to court over patent breaching I think its about time other companies did the same and put apple firmly in their place. Number 1 as a brand but number 2 behind the collective brands that is Android.

Ive had every apply IOS device to date and have happily migrated over to the HTC One and wouldnt look back. Apple hardware is great but the HTC is up there with its unibody design and the software is leagues ahead.

Too little too late for me apple. A lost customer to add to the plenty you have already accumulated.

9. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Looks heavily based on droid 4.2. Apple will no doubt claim they didn't copy google as the overview menu sweeps from the bottom rather than the top.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

animated wallpapers? really? - been using them for how long on my galaxy s1....

11. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

You know what has turned me off buying an android phone? It's not that I don't think the platform is good but every single news feature on the internet about apple attracts android users who post the most banal hate towards the iphone and apple. It's like they're trying really hard to convince iphone users that they've made the worst choice ever and that they should change immediately. I had it on Google+ last night. News feature about IOS7 and immediately an android user posts his hate.

I came to realise that there must be something sorely lacking with their android phones if their days are spent posting about iphone and apple.

It's like a guy going around telling people each day how much he hates gays. Say it often enough and it becomes clear you're in denial.

I've got a 3GS. Old now and I wooden mind a new phone and would probably go for an android over iphone 5. Let's put it this way... if the bald guy on Gadget show says he doesn't like the iphone 5 then it must be bad. What puts me off is the clumsy attempts android users make to convince everyone they should be using android.

I have an iphone and ipad... I don't paste hate about google phones or tablets. I realise that each platform has good points and bad.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

First opinions (iOS 7 running on 4S)

The new 'overlapping' scrolling effects in the reminders app are terrible. The app (On my 4S with my data) now takes a good seven seconds or so to start up if it's fully shut down and scrolling is pig awful. Looks like <20fps at best and usually much slower. They had better fix this in later betas.

Performance is about the same as on iOS 6. Seems identical in app but the springboard can have a bit of lag at times. Not much and it disappears again but I have seen it. This is normal in a first beta though.

Battery life has also been hit, but that's normal for a first beta. It took less than an hour (with no gaming) to drop my battery from 100% to 73%.

Contrast system wide is taking some getting used to. The super thin fonts and pale backgrounds makes for a hard viewing experience with sleepy eyes. Turning on the 'increase background contrast' accessibility option doesn't have an effect right now.

Love:
    New features. Basic stuff such as an easy access wi-fi switch and torch feature should have been added years ago. New siri capabilities are nice but again this is just catching up with the minimum of where things should be in mid 2013.
    Siri can adjust phone features at last!
    A lot of the new SDK Features (If they turn out to be bug-free)
    MFi Controllers! At last we will be getting decent external controllers. A PS, Xbox controller adaptor anyone?

Don't like:

The pale blue-grey folder colour. It's not as contrasty with the icons as a darker shade.
    They keyboard colour. Again the contrast is not nice.
    New new super skinny font. Well I do 'like' it I just don't like to use it across a whole OS. I think it hurts legibility.

Hate:

The scrolling effects in the reminders app. Bring back a basic table view for table based data. I don't care about rows sliding under other rows during scrolling. I don't care if it does add depth to the UI it also adds lag.

That this jump wasn't as big as I would have liked. iOS 7 has some much needed additions and a nice new 'Jony Ive' coat of paint but there's not a great deal that hasn't been seen before on different platforms or jailbreak hacks.

Where's the siri SDK for developers? Why can't I use system wide voice control to ask intelligent questions of my installed apps? The clock app icon now shows the real time! But why can't I give my own apps a dynamic icon?

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Is it just my monitor, or in that second shot is there a weird rainbow colour thing going on? It looks redish on the camera icon on the right, and green on the flashlight(?) on the left.
    It just looks like some weird disco lighting all over the place.

Nice to see the big companies catching up with features that jailbreakers and modders have had for years on both iOS and android.

14. Stanley Tweedle

As mentioned on the video... the interface is translucent so the rainbow colours come from whatever is behind. It's like Aero glass.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Do not care.

Ithings hopelessly overhyped.

"Phone gets new graphics for UI" is not news.

16. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I found myself looking at it thinking "looks good, just like the OS on my Galaxy S4..."

17. Stanley Tweedle

All phones get hyped. That's how it is. And not just phones... have you read some of the hype bollocks for egg box 1?

" Living Games. Dynamic, living worlds evolve and improve the more you play, and advanced artificial intelligence can learn to play like you, so friends can play against your shadow."

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrFeJebKLH8eTEUCslQWX6-8RtJ6V2ev3KeNJaFgSv_oG3BNiw1g

And to be perfectly frank... who gives a flying **** if the new UI is trying to be android. There was a time when all UI's were trying to be apple. Things shift and change. It's no big deal.

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What the **** are you talking about?

Of course it is news.

19. Stanley Tweedle

Longweight... you're typing Shift-8's again aren't you.

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nope.

Tags: Add Tags