1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Really weird connection issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JD_LincsUK, 8 Jun 2013.

1. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

LO peeps,

I've had a really strange connection issue for a couple of months and have no idea how to fix it.

I have a home network consisting of several pooters all connected wirelessly - currently to a NetGear DG834GT router.

I used to have my main and second rigs connected via ethernet and the laptops and netbook wireless and all went swimmingly, except for my TV, which is a pain, but I put that down to the rubbish WiFi adapter on it, which I can't change (it's a Panasonic TV). It often wouldn't connect, and I had to reboot the router almost daily (prob IP address issues) - though I might add that the area is drowned in BTHub and WiFi hotspots that use far too much power (I'm on IDNet).

When we had noo carpets fitted I had to lift the cables and decided it best to go completely wireless. Since then, I have to switch wireless adapters every time I boot either my main PC or my Netbook - and my TV connects every time with no issues!

So - I have a WG311T PCI adapter in the mobo and a WG111v3 USB stick in my main pooter. Regardless which one is currently active, when I boot up the PC I have to change it to the other one, else it won't connect. If I disable then re-enable the same adapter it still won't connect, but if I switch to the other adapter, it connects straight away.

It's the same story with my netbook - which has a broadcom chipped WiFi adapter built in. I use another USB WG111v3 with that - and again, I have to switch between the two every time I boot up, after all has settled down of course.

Weirdly, my second PC is connecting with a WG111v3 every time, without issue - it's running Vista HP64, whilst the others are on Windows 7 Home 32 & 64.

I'm stumped. It may well be some kind of issue with the IP addresses - oh and on the advice of my ISP I got inSSIDer 3 and saw that I'm sharing channel 11 with about half a dozen other WiFi routers (but I'm not convinced that's the problem).

I was originally using the Thomson 585v8 router when these issues started and thought it may have been something underhand by NetGear to try and make me have their kit for all my network, so I changed to my spare DG834GT but it made no difference at all.

Anyone have any ideas? (if you've managed to understand what the hell I'm on about...)

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

The very first thing I would do is switch channels if you have loads of other wifi overlapping yours. Try and find the least used channel. This is easy to do and only takes a moment to change in the router. There is a good chance connections will improve without as much interference.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you'd be surprised how effective a simple channel change can be when you have several wifi routers all using the same channel.

as ivan said, choose a channel that isn't as heavily populated, it should be at least 2 channels away.

4. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

InSSIDer should help identify channel congestion visually. But bear in mind sometimes using a populated channel helps (not 100% sure how, maybe they boost each other)

5. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Thank you for the replies.

Changing the channel makes no difference to this issue at all. In fact, it also makes the signal worse.

I tried all the unused channels available and all had the same problem - the adapters still needed switching and the signal was weaker than on channel 11.

Whilst changing the channel leads to 0 co-channels used, it increases the overlap by usually 6 or 7, regardless of which 'spare' channel I choose.

According to the inSSIDer guide, having overlapping networks is worse than having co-channel networks.

Don't ask me how this can be the case - I was a radio tech and operator for years and to me, if you change a channel you would be on a different frequency, but according to the guide, this is not the case and means nearby networks cause more interference.

unless it means simply sideband interference.

In any case, the main issue of having to switch adapters remains.

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Most likely time to step up to 5ghz? You'd have less congestion but it would require new wifi adaptors (and I doubt you'd be able to get one for the TV) and router. This may be the expensive way but it would allow all devices better connectivity. You'd need a dual band router so any legacy devices, such as your TV would connect at 2.4ghz and all newer devices at 5ghz.

Failing that I'd suggest you move back to cabling up any static devices, such as TV. If getting cables there is an issue, then try using powerline adaptors.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

can't you disable the adaptor you don't want to use in device manager

8. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Andy - that option sounds expensive (especially to a pensioner!) but I will have a look.

Hi Rich - the point is that I am having to switch between the adapters (i.e. disable one alternately) every time I start up a pooter.

So for eggs, now I am on the WG311T, but when I next start the PC, it won't connect to the internet - all I get is a continual "identifying network" in the Network & Sharing Center (sic) and "no internet access". On the available networks list it will say I am connected to the Netgear router, yet I am unable to log in - simple get a not available page. If I then disable the WG311T and enable the WG111v3 it connects up fine straight away.

Then the next time I start up it will be the same situation with the WG111v3 and i will have to switch over to the WG311T which will work just fine for that session.

It must be a network server issue of some kind and be somehow connected to the issuing of IP addresses to the devices on the network. Yet I have not changed anything in that respect, from how it used to be when all was working well.

9. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

I'd say getting a good 5GHz access point will solve most of your issues, a high powered one will literally shout over the 2.4GHz boxes around you.

I had a similar issue where I live, with most of the 2.4 spectrum flooded with BTHomehubs and the like. An enterprise Aerohive Access Point makes mincemeat out of them!

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried the commands 'ipconfig /flushdns' and 'netsh winsock reset' both run from admin cmd prompt, do the flush first, then the reset, as reset needs computer restart

11. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Well, this is what the environment looks like on the 3 most unused channels here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the best situation on 9 - as I am now running it:

[​IMG]

There are no connection issues per se - just having to switch the WiFi adapters - but the signal is quite good and my transfer rate is still the normal 3+MB.

12. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

You tried using static IP addresses?

13. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

No, I haven't as yet.

Thanks for your input, guys - I just ordered a Netgear N600, which should arrive tomorrow (dual band adsl2+ modem router). I'll let you know if it sorts the problem.

:rock:

14. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

All sorted :D

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sorted as in the new router sorted it?