1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple A sneak peek at the new Mac Pro (Must see)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheiken, 10 Jun 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Blown away? nah, more like sucked away. It looks like the Dyson cannister.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This... imo it looks like R2D2 humped a pedal bin... plus can see that thing getting pretty warm after a long stint of 3d rendering or other flat-out work

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So, points for those who jump to conclusions and don't read.

1) RAM is standard sticks, clearly visible on the pictures. Not soldered.
    2) The case is black aluminium, not plastic. Therefore no scratches unless you have a go at it with a knife.
    3) Expansion via Thunderbolt, including external GPUs
    4) Custom PCIe SSDs with insane speeds, but Apple will sell you them no doubt, and they are socketed.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What a bit of kit. I don't normally like Macs, but that is some very clever design in stoving it together for a compact yet well-cooled system. Much want.

No doubt the price will be mind-boggling of course. :D

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Exactly. While apple certainly doesn't offer value for money, they make products people actually want to buy. Dell and the likes blame it on the recession, but apple have been doing well out of it. People are reluctant to buy a lifeless plastic case, but will consider spending the extra if it means it looks the business :)

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Probably what current pricing is - $2500 for a very basic 8-core model, $4000 for the 12-core model.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

unless it was made by the people who made the iPhone 5 casings, where the black coating was easily scratched... I jest of course... you could just rub the coating off...*

It remains to be seen how well cooled it is... and how easy it is to clean the inevitable dust build up out of that heatsink...

*not an exaggeration... during my time as an apple phone drone there were a fair few instances of it happening...

EDIT:

[​IMG]

8. rollo

rollo Modder

If i had the cash id buy one tommorow, For me it actually looks kinda sick awesome. Back to reality I can build a similar system for half the cost most likely.

First Desktop Pc in a while that id say I would be tempted to buy if i had the cash over a build it yourself.

Shocked at how much power they have got into it as well duel firepro cards. 12 core cpu and I think things encode fast with 6 cores 6 threads wonder what they do with this beast.

Dell this is what the customers want no more biege box jobs please.

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It's a master plan by Apple to patent the cylinder and sue Dyson for copyright infringement. Thus leading into the iSuck being the dominant household vacuum cleaner.

I kinda agree, I like the idea of so much power in a small size, but the design itself...doesn't appeal when the cover is on. It looks like a trash bin, the FT03 at least do a nice job of hiding cables. This really does look like your mates might try and throw their beer cans in it.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive just got my ruler out to try and get my head round the size. It really is tiny!

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Would never buy one but looks like a great bit of kit.

12. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

If my finances some day allowed it, I could imagine myself splurging on one.

I really am taken aback by it.

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

hah ! Dyson will win. Theirs is the easiest to empty the dust from :rock:

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Since seeing it this morning, i've been drooling over it from a design and packaging point of view. It looks horrifically expensive, and apple have done a few things I don't like.

i.e, can anyone see a PSU? I suspect a horrid brick hiding somewhere.. ewww

Internal storage expansion or replacement looks to be painful, very painful. Fast but painful.

Regardless of I/O speed people shouldn't have to use external storage solutions. They wanted to reduce cable clutter with the Imac, and yet they don't apply the same rule with the Mac pro.

Of coarse perfect time to buy a microserver with 4x 3Tb drives running a tasty linux distro if you haven't already.

15. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

I like the idea of shared cooling capacity, I'm sure it's been though of before but is impractical with any other design.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I am very excited to see how this develops when it's brought in to production. Reviews will be interesting, because some very bold claims have been made here. If that thing can cool what it says, we could have some AWESOME mods on the cards!

17. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Proprietary cack

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

The first one will almost certainly be: Mac Pro in a normal case.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Went from a tall tower with fairly impressive performance but still looks like a computer, albeit one carved from aluminium to a futureworld next-gen computing power cylinder.

Well, that escalated quickly :eeek:

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013