1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Make your own Intel NUC Case Competition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Jun 2013.

1. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I got a 7" Lilliput for $130-ish from mp3car.com. Not OEM, but apparently easily de-cased and modded, judging by the car-PC crowd.

Or if you can interface it, there's a 4" or touchscreen for the RPi on sparkfun.com for $84 or so (can't remember the interface, but probably nothing friendly to hooking up to your average x86 machine).

Cheapskate or not, I've seen you drop more on plexi for a single project than my monthly bills, not counting rent ;)

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

So a scanned image of rough sketch should be on?

First time in ages I am actually gonna enter then

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Some of the best scratchbuilds we've seen have been made using nothing but a couple of sheets of acrylic and a Dremel. Yes some people have access to more advanced tools but there's nothing to suggest that everyone can't compete on an even playing field. Money-wise, well there isn't really anything that we can do to limit the spending, not without making things way too complicated. At the end of the day, every modding competition has this issue, but I'd argue that as we're looking at such small cases this time, there's not as much scope to spending a fortune, especially as you won't be doing so on the hardware as it will be provided.

Yes a scanned image is absolutely fine. Not everyone is a wiz in SketchUp etc and we'll be judging designs based on merits other than how flashy the renders are ;)

4. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

There is ony one thing that is not mentioned-how many designs can we submit?

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I've got no previous mods but I'm going to chuck a design in the pot anyway, Its been a long time since I used sketchup to design a case so this is the perfect chance to get back into it.

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I predict at least two water-cooled entries. Not from me...I'm out.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2013
  7. Combatus

Thanks Pranja - just added this to the rules - one design per person!

8. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I still kick myself for missing the Raspberry Pi competition.. I'll definitely take part to this one. :D

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, poo. I will admit a one design limit would keep the spammers away...

@Slipperyskip - If you form a supergroup, it's required that you ask Max Bacon to sing.

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

@Cheaps - David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? I've heard both are available.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2013
  11. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Any chance of getting hold of one, to make a CAD model for everyone to use? ;)

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Yeah a CAD model would be really useful. Just been spending most of my time trying to get the board dimensions right. The documentation shows mounting points, but not connector spacing or heatsink mounting points.

13. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

My first thought was "YAY! Another design contest!" (remembering how much fun I had with my PiQu build for the Raspberry Pi contest. My second thought was "Crap this is going to take a lot of time"

I'll have to think about it for a bit....

Although I didn't win, I did PiQu on a relatively limited budget although in the end all the small parts did add up to a somewhat bigger amount, but not more than a good medium sized off-the-shelf case I think.

anyway, will have to look a bit better at the NUC review but I just love small cases etc!

And for everybody doubting their technical skills: Don't! Everybody can do a decent casemod, as long as you take your time and put in the effort. Of course putting an oversized angle grinder on a sheet of plexi might speed up the process, but you will never get the same result as taking the time and doing it with a hand saw...

14. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

With such a small case and 10 weeks of time, file is the only tool you really need. :D It's really the greatest thing about these new tiny form factors - scratch builds are easier and cheaper than ever. :)

15. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Thanks to you for answering. :)

Too bad that is only one design-I will need to have my own mini contest to decide. :D

16. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

I don't think it's a case of more money you throw at it makes it a winner.. I spent £45 on the Raspberry Pi contest, a pump and some pink coolant.. I had all the aluminium and blagged the gold plating..

I am really looking forward to this contest and would really like a CAD model to work with.. I will make a model for everyone to use if you send me a NUC Antony.. ;-)

17. Cheapskate

@Slipperyskip - OW! (I'm waiting on a part. Otherwise I'd be done.)

Yes. The BitTech community will likely be there to field any questions or give advice too.:D

Plan to use what you can afford, or what you are comfortable working with. This isn't about materials or specs. It's about a cool final result. Making something special from nothing just adds to the cool factor sometimes.
    -Paper mache, concrete, and plaster have all made their way into the MOTY competition.

...That having been said, I'm planning for plastic again.:lol: I've got too much of it.

18. Cheapskate

OK, I've got everything but the "back" drawn. There's always that one bit you can't do anything with.:lol:

What's the deadline again?

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice, I'll enjoy watching. :)

20. Combatus

Deadline is 14th July to submit your design. I'm just waiting for a digital calliper to arrive and I'll have a quick shoot round the sample I have here and post some measurements.

Tags: Add Tags