1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Remote desktop access ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pha3dr0n, 4 Jun 2003.

1. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I want to be able to access the desktop of one of my nix boxes from my work, but dont know is (a) it is possible, or (b) how to go about it.

The machine I want to remote into is running Mandrake 9 on my LAN. and to access it, I would have to port map through my win2k gateway machine running winroute. The other problem is that the machines in work are locked down - I dont have admin access (could hack it out, but it aint really worth the trouble), and the reg editors and run command are locked out.

At the moment I access it from work via webmin, and through that can do most of what I want, but I would still prefer remote desktop access.

Other than that, is there any way I could access any of my windows machines ??? Tried VNC, but always fails to get theough the work firewall (again - not worth my job to 'correct' that). Cant use PCAnywhere either as I cant install any progs that write to the registry in work.

There must be a way, I just havent found it yet :D

Cheers,

Pha3dr0n

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

If you're talking about remote X-Windows acces, then why not just use VNC? It's included in Mandrake 9...

If you want console access, just use SSH - also included...

3. sik

sik Banned

TightVNC would be something to consider, aslong as your work has java on the machines.

They machine's have functions disabled for a reason, don't start messing with it if your company doesn't want you to.

4. Pha3dr0n

I've had a run in with corp security before, and dont really want to do so again :worried: I've tried vnc already (albeit on the gateway), and I cant see it from my work at all, regardless of the ports I set.

5. Pha3dr0n

Ok - I have enabled VNC on the nix box, and can remote to it over the LAN. However I cant do it using my external IP of the cable modem. I have forwarded ports 5900 and 5800 (these will be changed if I can get it working) from my gateway to the LAN machine through winroute, but keep getting the message "Failed to connect to server".

Any idea's ???? The port forwarding is on any address, TCP, and just the 2 specified ports.

Pha3dr0n

6. ducktape

ducktape What's a Dremel?

if your not running an ftp or web server on your computers at home, you might want to try setting vnc to use port 80 or 21 through your router. This should mean you can connect to it from work, as most work places won't block port 80, as its the one you need for web access.

7. Pha3dr0n

Nah - running various apache servers all over the LAN :(

8. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Do you need GUI access to the nix machine, or just need to be able to run commands?

Tags: