1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Arc - Finally! Watercooling installed 29-07-2015

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Azariel, 1 Feb 2013.

1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looking good so far keep up the good work.

2. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Looks very nice :) Keep it that way :thumb:

3. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks guys! :thumb:

Really have to start getting in some hardware for the next phase...

4. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

Looks very, very stylish indeed!! :thumb:

Just a question: Where will the PSU cables be going through? As I don't see any hole for the cables to feed through to the back of the mobo plate. :confused:

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013
  5. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

Excelent work. Need to follow that one closer.

6. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Loving the front panel! I like to see when people bring out the putty to take a good design and make it there own. Can't wait to see the rest.

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Can't believe I didn't notice this earlier. Really nice work so far, bro!

8. Saltire35

Saltire35 Drunken Scotsman

Really interested to see how this turns out.

Love the work so far. Keep it up :)

9. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Nice build so far.

10. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

First of all, thanks everybody for all the positive replies!

And one question was still open :)

And its a good question at that :) I will indeed have to create holes to pass the wires through. However, for that I will need the hardware to determine the exact position they need to be in. I've also got some nice ideas on how to actually get the wires through the plate :)

What also was not yet in the pictures was how they will be mounted!

Over the past days I drilled a few holes in the plate which covers the motherboard section so I can connect it to the motherboard tray itself. The plate on the right will ask for a bit more engineering as there isnt really anything to connect it to. Hopefully will show that in the next update!

And just for info: I ordered and received my new PSU (Corsair AX860) and a nice amount of sleeving etc from Nils which hopefully will come in soon!

Coming weeks are a bit busy, but maybe I'll do some intermediate posts to keep you informed on progress :)

11. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Update 8

A small bit of work was done mounting the backplates to the case! The case is still a bit dusty, so pictures are not brilliant :)

Anyway, on to the images!

The left plate was mounted to the case using screws and nuts behind the motherboard tray

[​IMG]

Screws were slightly recessed into the plexi so it would give a nice clean look

[​IMG]

Next up was the right part. As the case does not really provide anything to bolt it against, I came up with the following solution: A small 'spacer' with threaded holes to bolt one side to the plate, and the other to the case

[​IMG]

Like this:

[​IMG]

Next I had to think up a way to secure it to the back of the motherboard tray. But as I did not want to have any screws going through it I used a slightly unorthodox method: Gluing two nuts to the back of the tray :)

[​IMG]

As you can see on the image below, I made the plexi part just a bit too short so had to drill the hole very close to the edge, but decided to go ahead with it, as the back should not be visible, and the end result is not that horrendous to look at anyway :)

[​IMG]

Which results in this! (the spacer can be found in the lower left part of the case)

[​IMG]

Now, to show off a bit :)

The new PSU!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And not to forget the beautifull things I got from Nils! The colors are absolutely stunning, and I couldn't stop making pictures of it. The deep and rich Color-X red and the Color 19 grey really go together very well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a small gift from Nils :thumb: which I personally am very happy with. Its of course to short to use, but are great to use as color samples for next builds! Thanks Nils!

[​IMG]

And last but not least an update of the parts list! Added some elements to the 'owned' list and changed a few elements such as the CPU, Mobo and GPU.

[​IMG]

Thanks for watching, and comments, ideas and suggestions are more than welcome!

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Awesome job so far! Really good job with the tooling that you have. Have subbed :)

13. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks a lot Imersa! Trying to make due with the tools I have available (and buy a few more when the need arises and cost isn't through the roof :p)

Anyway, didnt have much time this week, but thought I'd share with you a bit of my fumbling with learning/attempting shrinkless sleeving!

[​IMG]

From left to right:
    0. (not on the picture) Trying to crimp wire+unmelted MDPC sleeve = Fail!

1. Messed up melting followed by messed up crimping attempt = Fail

2. Better melting, trying to crimp after. Worked OK but resulted in melted part coming out of the connector = Fail

3. Crimp first, melt later using crappy heat shrink material...slightly less Fail

4. Better melt (using MDPC shrink), but positioning was slightly off

5. Good melt, good position, looked awesome in connector :thumb:

As I would like to keep my MDPC shrink for actual jobs with visible sleeving I might try to go back to the crappy heat shrink stuff for the melting process and see if I can make it work....But that will require a bit more fumbling :)

Thanks for watching! And any tips and tricks for shrinkless sleeving are more than welcome!

14. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice work! :)

15. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks Evenge!

But now a question for you all!

As shown in earlier posts I purchased the Corsair AX860 and intend to sleeve it. However, by now I already found out it most likely isnt the easiest thing to sleeve as it has multiple double wires etc. I will find a way around that, but one thing which did raise a question for me:

[​IMG]

One pair in the 24-pin set of wires is ´twisted´. Normally I wouldnt have any problem taking it apart, but as this is the only pair I was wondering if I could seperate those from each other and get away with it....

Any thoughts?

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

I shouldn't see why not, it is a bit odd though

17. GotMod?

GotMod? What's a Dremel?

if i get it right, this could be helpfull, chek it from step 15

18. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

Someone else on here had to stuff two wires into one sleeve, can't quite remember who though.

19. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks for the quick answers folks!

I will have to use 2 wires in one sleeve anyway due to some pins just having 2 wires (might have to follow the guide you posted Gotmod?, thanks!). However, this twisted wire does not end in 1 single pin, but 2 pins which are not even next to each other so I would like to sleeve them seperate, which would mean untwisting them....Hence my question :)

20. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Azariel, check my thread please. I had to do about the same thing ( one 3v3 and 3v3 sense were in the same pin but in two different in the other

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2