1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Reliability Monitor useful if little known inbuilt tool.

Discussion in 'Software' started by miller, 21 Jun 2013.

1. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

For windows 7 may apply to other windows OS's.

Recently found a MS article about a tool called the Reliability Monitor, I'd not heard of it so had a look and found it to be a pretty useful tool.
    It's a bit like the Event Viewer tool but the Reliability Monitor is a bit easier to interpret and view the actual times of when problems and warnings were generated.

Link to the MS article here.

To access the Reliability Monitor.

Open Action Center by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then under System and Security, click Review your computer's status, then click Maintenance, then click View reliability history.

If you have the control panel on windows 7 set to, "View as menu" just go to the top of the menu and click "Action Centre" then "Maintenance" then "View Reliability History"

In Reliability Monitor, you can:

Click any event on the graph to view its details.

Click Days or Weeks to view the stability index over a specific period of time.

Click items in the Action column to view more information about each event.

Click View all problem reports to view only the problems that have occurred on your computer. This view doesn't include the other computer events that show up in Reliability Monitor, such as events about software installation.
    All the Reliability Monitor info can also be saved.

I'm not sure that the " Reliability scale" of 1 - 10 on the left side of the graph is really of much use but the info shown certainly is.
    On the right side of the graph is a description of events on the graph scale.

[​IMG]

^^^^The most common issue here is with "windows video hardware" Nvidia driver crashing, that's unusual, :sigh:

[​IMG]

Double click on any source event shown in the window and it will display detailed info on the problem.

I've actually found this tool useful as I was having problems with Logitech keyboard/mouse software and discovered that the old Logitech driver had not been uninstalled correctly and once that was sorted, problem solved.

Gotta love Windows, kind of :lol:

LordPyrinc likes this.
  2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Hmm, mine says..

Windows stopped working
    Windows not properly shut down
    uplay not responding

And quite a few firefox stopped working.

But this is an old install of windows 7 so it probably is a bit messed up.

No Nvidia problems but I don't game that much.

3. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Most of my Nvidia crashes occur when firefox is open and often on utube leading some people to think there is some kind of Flash issues with the Nvidia driver or it's been suggested that when the GPU is doing very little the driver can't see the card and crashes, generally games play alright for me but many people are having a nightmare with Nvidia's latest driver.

4. dactone

dactone dact-one

hi, im having problems running certain games could you tell what could be the problem just by looking at this ?
    Description
    Faulting Application Path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Evoland\Evoland.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Evoland.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 515663e0
    Fault Module Name: nvd3dum.dll
    Fault Module Version: 9.18.13.2018
    Fault Module Timestamp: 518fe5d3
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 005e342a
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: bc92
    Additional Information 2: bc92d49f19a89c81d5cb9ed4e2730fc0
    Additional Information 3: 142c
    Additional Information 4: 142c679d40ce244fd8d4e5cae3b47375

5. dactone

dactone dact-one

No worries I found out afterburner was causing games to crash uninstalled and re installed and problem solved !

6. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Hope that works for you, the Fault Module Name: "nvd3dum.dll" is an Nvidia .dll file.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's one of those things, most of the people who find it useful already know it's there... everyone else stumbles across it by accident or has to be told it's there

8. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Sweet deal. I didn't know that was there either.

+ rep OP