1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to give up....

Discussion in 'General' started by GiGo, 6 Jun 2003.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Well I decided to give up smoking and booze at the same time. I want to give up smoking permantly but give on give up the alcohol for a month or so till my 18h (as you've got to celebrate it :D).

Anyone got any ideas how I do this easily, I normally get thru half a bottle of a vodka a day or more when I'm just sitting at home doing nothing, I like the taste to much.

With the fags its more I drinking the more I smoke so I think that will be fairly easy until I come to drink again.

I have foihnd one thing that helps is listnin to more relaxing music, I'm currently listning to some Pan Pipe music.

2. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I think it would be easier to give one up at a time. Drink and ciggies tends to go hand in hand for me. I gave up smoking, for over a year, then went back on it. I am trying to make more of an effort to give up now. As for drinking, i enjoy that too much :D

3. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

death tubes/cancer sticks = nasty

4. GiGo

Yeah indeed they are.

Yeah might be easier to give them up once at a time but as you said there hand in hand, ill sit a drink something and need a ciggerette with it. So no drink will hopefully equal no fags.

Drinking I do like to much but it isnt doing me any good :S

5. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Ive given up the fags as well. What I find usefull is that when you go out dont take more money than you need otherwise you will fall into the impules buy / one last pack wont hurt thing.

Anyways good luck

6. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

A combination of factors helped me to give up smoking.

Fear
    Peer support
    Lack of funds
    girl (granted, I was only seeing her for a couple of weeks, but that's the hardest part.)

I used to smoke 25 a day at school, and when I went to university, this went straight up to 40 a day, because I was now allowed to smoke. Hence the fear, and equally the lack of funds. I could only afford to do two out of eat, drink and smoke.

Also it helped that not many people smoked here at uni. While it was at school, it was impossible to give up. I had developed a close circle of friends who met at coffee shops, purely to smoke. (it was against school rules). This meant that if I ever tried to give up, I didn't see my friends.

So moving to a new environment is always a good time to give up, before you establish a new routine.

One other point I found useful, was a chart I got in a pack of nicotine patches. I only used the patches for a couple of days and they made me sick and caused a rash, but they had a chart with a long row of circles, one for each day. At the end of each day, you can put a little stciker on the circle for that day, and before you know it, you've got this line of circles going round you're room. It's quite encouraging and gives you a real sense of achievement.

I also found that it helped to lay of the booze for a bit, since I always associated a drink in one hand wiht a *** in the other. The only times I have lapsed and ended up having a cigarette, I was drunk.

You can always go back to drinking, but drinking while you're trying to give up smoking just adds another possible cause for failure.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. I can honestly say that it was one of the best things I have ever done.

8-ball

7. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Just don't buy any more fags or vodka.
    HALF A BOTTLE OF VODKA A DAY? :eeek:
    Your liver must hate you. How do you get about? Surely you don't drive. Do you walk everywhere? And you're not even 18?!?! Geta job, find a hobby, do SOMETHING!
    How can you be so bored you drink that much per day and NOT realise you need to find something else to do?

Good luck.:D

8. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

he lives in stafford....nuff said! :lol:

9. GiGo

First off I do drive and I fialed my frist test, 500ml of vodka isnt to much not for me anyway (didnt have that before my test), but still need to cut down, I noramly drink after I've driven somewhere, drink driving is bad!

Also FreakOnALeash, who are you, how old are you and hwere abouts in Stafford do you live and drink?

10. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

I've only lived in Stafford since last Sept, moved over for work!
    I'm 25 and live on the Stone Road at the min, usually find me proping up the bar in the Met(ropolitan), the grapes or the firkin :naughty:

11. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You could always take up something like Tae Chi, might help you concentrate on other things.

12. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Why not, whenever you feel the need to buy a pack of fags take the money out your wallet and put it in a jar. Then buy yourself something nice when you find the pennies stop collecting.

13. GiGo

Ah the grapes I got bared from there the other day with a friend :S and the Firkin I drink in there every now and again, how about that women Carla :D she is pretty nice, try spoons or the Lord Nelson (donw the road to the Firkin)

Might see you out and about

By the way I work at the Swan on Friday and Saturday nights if you wanna pop in and see me do an intersting job of glass collecting, great job for a guy trying to stop drinking.

Think I'm going to have to buy a pack of fags, getting an urge, women troubles and working :sigh:

14. mashie

mashie The one and only

Your future looks bright mate...

If I was you I would seek professional help before it is too late.

15. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Wooow...that is helava lot of vodka...3.5 liters a week that works out...take mashie's advise

16. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Good for you give up them nasty cancer sticks :D make a sticky we can support you every step of the way.

17. GiGo

Well, I let my self down on the ciggerettes, had a bit of women trouble and I had to work, but on the other hand, there was a mistake made today and I was offered the drink and I said NO! WOOOO! Normally I jump at the chance of a FREE drink.

Also made a kinda bet with my boss about what time we would finish today :D you guys are going to love this! Its a Saturday night and its packed, about 10 o'clock I walk back with some glasses and look at this Guiness and Smernoiff advertiser thing sitting on the bar, I ask ben my boss if I could have it, so hes says 'Yes, only if we get this place tidy by before 12!'. Everyone thought he was taking the piss, well! 11.30 and we had cleared up, I had 1 ciggerette after (sorry) but he then says 'ok Giles you can the Guiness thing on the bar!' WOW everyone looked in amazment when he said I could have it and everyone sai they want it!

Hers some pics (sorry bout geocities!)

Piccy of Advert Thing

It acctually changes automaticaly but due to the flash on me camera I can only get this side of it, thinks theres two or three different adverts.

Cheers for your support guys!

EDIT: My Drinking Partner and best mate Adam (not the guy from the boards). Has got a bit sick of drinking, so bad infact that he has broken out into a rash, made his eyes swell up and he cant lie down as his back has this rash on! Thoughts to him!

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Link just goes to apage that can't be displayed :(

19. GiGo

nah links works, tried it me self!

20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

must be me then cause i get this

____
    This page is not available.
    We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
    If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.
    ____

I@ll try on another ocmp