1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stugoal, 5 Jun 2003.

1. Stugoal

Stugoal <font color="#FFFFFF"><b>Banned</b></font>

Ok, ::Kna::, please don't flip out if you don't like this...

I need advice: Should I take my 75MHz server that was for Project XP, but instead put 95B back on and put 3 soundcards in. I want this to replace my old Marantz. My plan is to hook these togeather by dasiy chaining them, meaning, input1 - output 1 & 2, Output 2 - input 2, output 3 - input 3. Will this work, and I need to know SOON!

2. linear

linear Minimodder

I'm trying to think of a reason that's not utterly pointelss, and I can't come up with one. So go for it.

W000000000000000000000000000T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:rock: :rock: :rock:

3. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

What exactly do you want to achieve by this? :confused: I fail to see why you would want to do this, please elaborate what you want this configuration to do....

Replacing your old marantz, Marantz what? Amplifier? Mixer? EQ?

Also getting any decent quality (as in, comparable to decent hifi) sound cards, let alone 3 to work well in a 75Mhz machine, is not exactly going to be easy....

4. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Do you hope to amplify the signal by daisychaining?
    If so then won't the 3rd card be overwhelmed by the signal and either distort BADLY or even blow? Your also asking for inteference troubles ;)

5. micb

micb Minimodder

Dasiy chaining cards together is a bad idea, AFAIK the only use for more soundcards is Recording/DJing/Mixing music purposes.

A 75mhz computer may be quite slow for music manipulation.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Hell yeah, my brother's PII 233MHz is slow enough but a 75MHz computer will be horrible to work on.

I use my current computer for applying realtime DX effects to my mixing, that's a 1.5GHZ machine and that stutters sometimes with multpile effects.

7. Stugoal

I am replaceing my Marantz Streophanic Recever Model 2216. The point of this is to channal all of the speakers individually so it sounds like a Dolby Surround Sound system. I only need to know, will I have any conflicks in IRQs? And also, will all 3 drivers work? Thanks...

8. RTT

RTT #parp

:lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

haha man no offense but u have the dumbest ideas, this one and the xp on a 75mhz hahaha comeone be realistic

10. linear

linear Minimodder

Dude, just do it.
    And post pics.

D U M B A S S

11. micb

micb Minimodder

When you say "channel a speaker individually" do you mean a seperate channel for each speaker????

If so,

How are you going to use the channels as seperate channels not same 2 channels repeated 3 times?

3 off the same 2 channels is not the same a six seperate channels of surround sound.

You will also have problems as windows software/games/movies will not pass, mix audio information to 3 different sound cards and place sound information correctly.

12. Stugoal

Channaling...

What I mean is that each speacker will have it's own thing to do.:duh:

13. K

K 528491

I think the best way to do this would be to take all 3 cards, and tape them together with duct tape. Then place them somewhere safe (in the PC or on the carpet, either's fine).

Now just solder all of the PCI connections together and wire all three into one PCI slot... It's trickier than it sounds, but you do end up with official Dolby Pro Logical 6.3* THXXX Certified™.

* This is your usual 2.1 channel multiplied by 3... Obviously.

As linear says, and that's all he says, pics please! Good luck guy.

14. jimmy the fish

jimmy the fish What's a Dremel?

Hahahahhaa sorry but this has to be the most retarded idea ever!

15. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Guys I know I have no authority here, but can I just ask that comments dont get too personal.

Its an unrealistic idea yes, but the "retarded" comments and such arent really called for.

*Trying to keep things civil*

16. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

/me bites me lip. (so very tempting)

17. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Well said methinks :) ..

Ho hum, well the whole point of Dolby Surround is not to have lots of speakers playing the same sound, but rather each speaker playing a discrete channel of sound, with the sound positioned so the sound is coming where it best creates the effect of being part of the movie, surrounded by the action....

Simply replicating stereo channels once or twice will do absolutely nothing but make a racket, as the sound won't blend in to specific channels like good surround will. Basically, instead of hearing the sound where its meant to be, you'll hear the sound everywhere, which might be loud but it sure isn't comparable to proper, good quality surround, and i feel would sound such a mash mish that I think I would prefer normal stereo.

Also, most consumer sound cards drivers aren't supported to run properly with more than 1 of a particular card, the drivers don't like it.

Basically this whole idea is a total non-starter, which is why you're getting some people taking the piss, some being sarcastic, and some insulting.

For proper surround sound you will need:

- DVD Player that supports DTS, with a co-axial or optical output, or a PC with a sound card that will output a 5.1 stream, and a DVD drive, and software that supports DTS/DPL/DPL II

- Receiver/Decoder/Amplifier (£200 is a good amount to spend), look for at least DPL/DPL II/DTS decoding for 5.1.

- 2x Front, 2x Rear, and a centre speakers. May I recommend B&W.

- A subwoofer. May I recommend Rel.

Not cheap, but if you're gonna do things man, do it properly.

My suggestion would be, go over to http://www.avforums.com/, read up on what you need for decent, proper surround sound for movies, and save for a proper DTS decoder/5.1 channel amp (Marantz SR4300 or something of that ilk) rather than ask questions here that some people perceive as perhaps rather silly at times.

18. macroman

macroman The One

Awesome :D

19. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

LMFAO! :clap:

Officaly the funniest thread ever without even trying to be!

20. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

First of all I must say... I'm sorry that Stugoal you're banned :( I'm kind of disappointed...

And people, please search for other threads Stugoal posted. Very entertaining :)

And I think that what Stugoal original meant was...
    1. output front left/right to card 1
    2. output rear left/right to card 2
    3. output centre/bass to card 3
    I don't think he actually meant "ghetto 2-channel 6-speaker surround sound".
    And he didn't say he'll run XP, he just said it is called "Project XP".