1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cell Phone Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by oldzkool, 7 Jun 2003.

1. oldzkool

oldzkool What's a Dremel?

I've been reading through the boards and getting some great ideas and information for my first computer mod.
    As I was watching my kids playing tonight, a thought came to mind. Maybe it's a dumb question (it wouldn't be my first), but I need to ask it none the less.
    How extreme can you mod a cell phone? I was looking on the mini-itx site, and seeing computers inside ET dolls, or beer kegs, and then I saw my kids playing with a cheezy little toy phone that lights up, etc.
    Could I strip down my cell phone (I'd use an old one I don't need just in case) and turn my kid's toy phone into an actual working cell?
    I think it would be hilarious to have your phone ring, and pull out some Fisher-Price multi-coloured toy phone and answer it. Of course, that could be my parental psychosis taking effect.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

all i have to say it that this is a hilarious idea... :thumb:

i see no problem with this being done

ps.. this does seem a little couter-productive as most phone seem to be getting "smaller" these days

3. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

lol that would be awsome i think with a lil tinkering it would be pretty the hardest thing to implement really are the buttons (i'm guessing your celli has more then the fisher price fone) but wow that would be great at the buisness meeting and you pull out the fisher price fone!!! anyways find away to mount small switches or whatnot behind buttons, then mount speaker mic etc.. the only thing you might have trouble on is the screen

good luck looking forward to see if you pull this off

EDit: is this the phone ur thinking of? [​IMG] ??

Last edited: 7 Jun 2003
  4. oldzkool

oldzkool What's a Dremel?

Yep, that's exactly the kind of phone I was thinking of.:D

I think I really need to try this. This would be quite an obscure first mod, but that's kinda the point.

Looking ahead, I think I would have even more fun asking Nokia or Motorola for warranty work....."Excuse me, but the #9 seems to be sticking a bit....I still have 3 months left on my warranty....how long will this take to fix?"

I have an old Nokia 918 analog phone around here somewhere. That ugly old thing is about the same size as a toy phone....it just might work.

5. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

that would be a great mod, pictures during process would be great

6. SciGuy

SciGuy What's a Dremel?

That would be some sweet modding there.

Rav

7. relix

relix Minimodder

lol, I can't wait to see some pics! Try it! It'd be awesome, this could create a whole new modding-movement/style :D

8. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Oh my god man, now I really want to mod my phone :) Would be cool if I could somehow make a nice casing out of fibreglass or something, could make your phone look like any model you want :)

Anyway, can't wait to see if this toy phone works or not in the end :clap:

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

You'd need the skills of Zapwizard (ie godly) to do it but I'd love to see it done! Imagine pulling your phone out on the train - everyone would think you're taking the piss. :hehe:

Last edited: 7 Jun 2003
  10. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

OMG what a great idea. You have got a nice sensor of humor there man. If you pull this is off then it is going to be awesome. Keep us all updated please! :clap: :thumb:

-cLoWn