1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Time for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by backdrifter, 28 Jun 2013.

1. backdrifter

backdrifter What's a Dremel?

With the 760 getting some pretty sweet reviews, and the fact I've around £200-£250 available for a potential upgrade, does anyone think it's worth upgrading my current PC?

i5-2500K (not currently overclocked)
    8GB RAM
    560ti 2GB
    1TB HD
    64GB SSD

I've recently upgraded to a full 1080p monitor and I've finally reached the point of having to knock myself down from 'Ultra' settings, which is a shame! I'm predominantly using this for gaming, so I'm wondering whether an upgrade to a 760 now is a good way to go, or maybe wait until later on in the year?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

A 760 would be a significant improvement over a 560Ti in my opinion, and would certainly do a good job at your 1080p resolution. Your CPU is fine, and plenty of RAM. In other words, go for it.

3. backdrifter

That's what I like to hear ;)

Think a 760 alone is the best way to spend my cash? I'm not averse to spending a few more quid elsewhere for an additional boost.

Plus, what do you think the best thing to do with the 560Ti would be? Get it sold?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

At 1080 a 760 will be a nice fit, although if you can stretch to a 770 it'll last longer. I'm not sure it's worth dropping another £100 on though.

I went from 670 down to a 560Ti 448 and back up to a 7950, and it was like a yo-yo, newer cards are noticeably quicker than the last-gen stars.

You'll probably get £80ish for the 560Ti so definitely worth shifting unless you want to keep an emergency backup option.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The only thing I would look at for the future would be a larger SSD that you can install games on, rather than just windows. Some of the new titles are able to use SSDs to improve texture streaming performance, but arguably it is a rather expensive upgrade for a not-huge benefit.

Beyond that, not much really. Upgrading your CPU won't achieve much at all.

A 770 would be ideal, for future proofing for longer, but as you say, £100 more, which is a significant amount of change.

6. backdrifter

I'd love to drop the cash on a 770, but with the girlfriends birthday in a few weeks time, I think it might be a bit of a stretch unfortunately!

So I think the best plan will be to grab a 760 (any particular models looking particularly wonderful?), get rid of the 560Ti straight away, and maybe even grab another 8GB RAM if I can find it for under £50. Sound good?

Glad today is pay day that's for sure!

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Anything EVGA. Something like this...but in stock! Or push the budget to £219 and get this one.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Unless you use very demanding editing/creativity software, you'll notice no difference moving from 8 to 16GB.

Quite early days on 760s at the minute, but Hexus seemed to like the Gigabyte and Palit models they've tested so far.

9. backdrifter

I'll have a browse over the next day or so and see what appears, but the second of those does look pretty sweet to me :)

Cool, I'll hold off on the RAM upgrade. There's nothing in the way of editing done on this PC these days.

Thanks for the help chaps.

10. backdrifter

Read a few reviews and seems like this particular model is a beauty. I don't mind waiting a few days, so the fact it's on pre-order doesn't bother me too much.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Depends if you need a rear exhaust card or not. I always dislike the idea of the GPU heat being dumped in the case, rather than kicked out the back.

12. backdrifter

That's actually a really good point. My desire to keep all that hot air in the case a second longer than needed is pretty small. Back to browsing in that case :)

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

14. backdrifter

Right, I'm going to order today.

It's a choice between this, this, or this. I'm saving £20 on each, so is it worth an additional tenner for the EVGA? I've yer to find a decent benchmark test for the EVGA, while the ones I've seen for the Palit have been very impressive indeed. Plus considering the Palit ends up at £190, it seems a great buy with the Hexus benchmark putting it right alongside the Gigabyte.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2013
  15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Not really worth it. There doesn't seem any substantial improvement for that tenner.

I was planning to get a GTX 760 myself, as my GTX 560ti is starting to show it's age slightly. It's over 2 years old and I want to play skyrim with every high end texture pack. The £200 is certainly worth it. It seems to be a fantastic price point this time round. I skipped the 600 series because the 660 was a terrible price; still are.

16. AlienwareAndy

Gigabyte have the best warranty. It's only them and KFA2 (formerly BFG) who are UK based (Milton Keynes & Wales respectively).

EVGA's warranty is good, but RMA is in Germany. Costs about £18 to send back... Palit offer a pretty terrible warranty (being reseller only) but that Jetstream cooler is to die for. I should know I have two. However, if it takes after the 670 one be warned that it's triple slot !! so if you're running MATX and PCIE slots are important it's a complete no no.

Overall, even though I think it's ugly I would sensibly choose the Giga. However, sense would probably go out the window and I would go with the EVGA :D

17. backdrifter

Gone for the Gigabyte in the end. Just a shave over £200, gets the best benchmark scores I've seen, plus the added advantage its actually in stock too! Should have it all hooked up by the middle of next week :)

Now to get rid of this 560Ti!

Thanks folks!

18. AlienwareAndy

Definitely the sensible choice. Their RMA is unmatched IMO.