1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Homeplug/Wifi Extender

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Instagib, 30 Jun 2013.

1. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Just a quick query if anyone knows; Is there such a device that is like a home-plug, in that it takes it's power from the socket, and also carries the home-plug signal and converts it into a wi-fi signal?

I know you can use a home-plug and a wi-fi bridge (two separate units), but I've only one power socket to play with and an extension lead is a no no as we have a pet rabbit that will chew any free wires in the conservatory that this will be going into.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I remember these about 5 years ago at pc world. Probably devolo or belkin

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Homeplugs themselves are usually £50 for a decent set. Add on WiFi functionality and you're naturally looking for something pricey. Should do the job though, and I do rate Homeplugs quite highly.

6. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Depends if they need a WiFi extender, or an actual router. The Netgear one needs an existing WiFi network, which it will boost the signal strength of, or the ones I linked will actually create a network.

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I need an actual router. An extender probably wouldn't work as it is right on the edge of the existing wifi bubble. At that range, the signal drops often. Part of the problem is that the signal has to pass through the house's exterior wall to get into the conservatory.

I suppose boosters could be daisy-chained, but by the time that's done, you're looking at a comparable cost for a far less elegant solution.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Actually an extender may well work. They use the Ethernet connection to get the data, rather than the shoddy wifi, and then repeat it as a perfect match to the existing network. I used to use Apple repeaters for 802.11g and they definitely did a good job.