1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning power switch and wifi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by defined, 1 Jul 2013.

1. defined

defined Botch-Job

I got a scratch build case in the planning but have a few questions

would this be the correct type of switch for the power button?

and i have a mini itx board with a mini pcie wifi card in it thats come from a laptop, ive installed it and windows picks it up fine but have trouble getting signal so im guessing that i have to have a aeriel attached to it, now would i be able to use any sort of antenna from any laptop or does it have to be model specific? im currently looking at this, and then i could just snake it around inside my case?

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I can't see the links as I'm at work so can't look at the bay, but:
    You will need a momentary switch, not a latching.
    You will need what is probably called a laptop aeriel which will have small push fit connectors rather tha the screw on type for the standard SMA aerials.

If nobody has answered better by the time I get home then I'll look at the links then.

3. defined

defined Botch-Job

thanks buddy, i think im on the right track them, with the laptop aerials i notice that they have the little push connector on one end and what looks like some sort of small board on the other and that they tend to vary a lot from laptop to laptop, would a wire from any laptop work for what i need it for?

4. defined

defined Botch-Job

Well i have just ordered the following so hopefully they will both work out fine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all i need now is a pico psu and i can make a start on the build

5. RebootTech

RebootTech Budget? What Budget?

I think you should be fine (assuming those are the ones from the links). I'd say you're on the right track!