1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

This here is imposible to give, I also dout we will see the germen GP go ahead as things stand. Unless they are bringing last years tyres back.

2. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

I cant see them using last years tyres tbh.
    What I do know is we wont be seeing perilli next year

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nurburgring will happen.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

With the YDT being a full blown tyre test now (which is 17-19 July), possibly with an extra day latched on, I believe we're going to see Kevlar banded prime tyres in Germany.

The tyres were tested, and only not implemented because of regulations and some teams not agreeing. That regulation has been/is being changed now, and the tyres have been tested sufficiently to race on.

The tests at Silverstone will be to assess the necessity of further changes.

5. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

Kevlar belts for next race

The article seems to suggest a change back to the 2012 structure but with this year's rubber compound.

Interesting to read that this year's cars are up to 2 seconds faster than last years. I didn't think the designs for this season were that much of an evolution from last year but 2 seconds seems to suggest otherwise.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hmm, possibility of heat blistering?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Once again, there is no chance for any other manufacturer now, it took FIA too long :

http://pitpass.com/49384-Pirelli-set-to-remain-in-F1-in-2014

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Other sources are suggesting that going back to 2012 designs isn't happening in time for Germany, due to supply issues, but 2013 structure might happen... best to wait for the dust to settle and official statements to be put forward, methinks.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Pirelli are saying Kevlar belted tyres for Germany, whilst they haven't said as much, these may be the modified tyres that Ferrari/Lotus/FI blocked from use in Canada/Silverstone.

Then from Hungary it's back to 2012 tyres, which is Pirelli's way of minimizing it's investment in F1 from now on, can't imagine why...

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well it's official, the three day test taking place in two weeks time will feature race drivers and all the teams... except Mercedes, who are still banned.

I'm sure Mr Brawn appreciates the irony of the situation.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

14. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes... that's what I meant... silly me... Thanks for the correction.

16. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

From what I've read it appears that only the rear tyres are getting changed. I take it the front tyres have the same construction that frequently went pop at the weekend with the steel band?

If so I reckon it's going to be a nightmare for the drivers to manage the temperature of their tyres as the material of the belt appears to have a significant impact. Steel at the front and Kevlar at the back adds an extra layer of complexity for the driver.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

On the other hand, the Kevlar belt offers operating temperatures that are 10 degrees lower than the steel ones, meaning that (as far as I understand this) they can be warmed up more aggressively by the brakes and such.
    The front tyres have so far not really been an issue, so maybe the Kevlar ones bring it into balance better... Time will tell, and this weekend is no indicator, thanks to the once-off tyres.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Unfortunately quite a few teams are limited by rear tyre wear - brought on by over-working the tyre that has a lower operating window. Mercedes have struggled for years with rear tyre overheating, switching the construction to a less tolerant one will significantly hurt their chances this season.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Hmmm... not quite convinced by that, actually.

The way I understand it (not much, TBH), the steel band tyre heats up quicker as well (this makes sense to me due to heat conductivity being better in steel than in Kevlar).
    The tyre wear rate has more to do with the compound heating up than the band inside (though overheating the band inside would/could cause delamination). Since the tyre now warms up less qucikly (my possibly flawed logic), the tyre wear could actually play right into the hands of a team like Merc, who have no problems getting the tyres switched on, but rather have a problem with overheating it, which would be alleviated by the tyre not heating up that quickly....

I am speculating and possibly talking out of my rear, though... that's my understanding of it, though the rosy lenses of hope for Mercedes and Lewis. I don't actually know enough about tyres to speculate with any form of authority.

20. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

The next few races will hopefully be uneventful tyre-wise as I think they'll know it will be quite moderate temperature.
    What will be interesting will be places like Singapore (maybe not at night), defiantly Inda, Abu Dhabi. We'll see how the tyres do.

Hopefully crap and another supplier will come in next year