1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT reveals Home Hub 5 with ac Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jul 2013.

1. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Any ideas when the 5 will appear?

2. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

R3 was a steaming pile of manure compared to HH2 for me. The range wasnt as good and it definitely needed reset more. While HH2 wasnt perfect and had random off days it was less of a headache to sort. You hit reset and it reconnected HH3 you need to reset several times before everything will work. Ill probably get the 5 and hope its an improvement. Really wanna just fork of for an ASUS hub Ive had my eye on and call it a day.

4. MrJim

MrJim What's a Dremel?

So...ummm...if you were to hack the router & use a third-party one, which one would you choose? I'm, sorry, a friend of mine, is currently using an Asus RT-N66U, but only have gone through the process of trying two other routers first! Extracting the login details is quite easy once you know how. Allegedly. :rolleyes:

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I used to use a Billion, which was fine but died. Then I made the mistake of buying a Cisco-Linksys, which is actually worse than the old Netgear Sky provided. Then I asked around for recommendations, but failed to actually buy anything.

6. MrJim

MrJim What's a Dremel?

Ah...sounds like the kind of 'router roulette' I went through :rolleyes: The Asus works very well indeed, but for simplicity I used a modded version of the firmware.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

8. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

I just had a call from BT trying to convince me to upgrade to the Infinity service. Asked him about the HH5, and he said he'd only heard about it yesterday, and it wouldn't be available until around September.
    Not sure if I believe him though, since he started his response about getting new HomeHub by saying "you'll get the latest HomeHub 3"...

I consider myself a slightly ab-normal user (super-user mostly, but perhaps closer to normal than I'd like on the broadband connectivity front), but I have to admit, I can't see a drawback to having it combined... would you mind explaining why it sucks?

I'm currently holding out for the HH5 before upgrading to Infinity - but if Chimaera or anyone else can point out why a single device is less good, I might take the upgrade that's offered now...

Dark Matter likes this.
  9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm even more abnormal I have 2 phone lines 1 business and 1 home, I use 2 adsl 2+ modems, a dual wan router, an 8 port gigabit smart switch, 5 port gigabit switch in living room, and a pro wireless access point.

10. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I didn't say it sucks - in fact I said I can see the appeal of the idea for normal users. Personally I like flexibility in what I can do with a connection. Given you aren't supposed to replace the VDSL modem part of the equation I don't like the idea of being forced to use a WLAN/LAN Router that may or may not be suited to my needs - especially since a lot of ISPs lock down the interfaces to their kit and drastically limit what you can and can't change on the interface.

For example as it currently stands you get a VDSL modem and a HomeHub WLAN+LAN router. This has the disadvantage of taking up more space and an extra socket. But lets say for the sake of argument you have a big house or perhaps its constructed in a way that interferes with WLAN signals?

At the moment you are free to unplug your Homehub and plug in your own router - all it requires (from memory) is that the router supports PPoE connection on WAN port to connect it to the VDSL router and you're golden. You could for example plug in a standard router and then run a couple of Ubiquiti AP's to different parts of the house to give good WLAN coverage or something like that.

How about if you're of a technical bent and want to set up VLAN-based networks to segregate stuff within your network? (for example - I don't exactly trust that network-enabled devices like TVs are the most secure so have been thinking about segregating them into a DMZ that has internet access but no access to the internal computer network (since I don't use streaming stuff like DNLA). Doing this via VLAN would be trivial with the right kit handling the routing and switching).

Like I mentioned in my post - if the HH5 allows a 'modem mode' that disables the router/WLAN/Firewall side of things entirely and just provides an ethernet passthrough from the VDSL part out so you can then set up your own routing as suits your tastes and needs then I have no issue.

I guess the simple way of saying it is:

BT own their side of the network coming into the house. I own whats inside my house. I don't want them controlling my network.

11. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Thanks Chimaera! That's a great explanation of why the combined device might not be suitable for some - I think it's way above the level of complexity I need to worry about, but you've opened my eyes to some possibilities that I hadn't previously considered... any day I learn something new is a great one!

Thanks for taking the time to spell out your thoughts :)

12. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

No problem :)

Tags: Add Tags