1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Summertime Heat Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notmeagain, 15 Jul 2013.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

My CPU temps are certainly warmer ofc, but whats even more odd is the amount of heat my monitors kick out. ive resorted to turning down there brightness and gamma which has helped a little

2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

This.
    I Biked 51 miles around the Gower coast on Sunday morning, got back, planned on having a gaming sesh but was so knackered I just planked out on the sofa and watched the conclusion to the Ashes and then had 3 Solero exotic back to back.

3. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

These are noisy *******s, Had them in the office at work.

I stream and do live commentary so noise is kinda... negative?

Well aware of the heat dumping boosting ambient, was looking at a way to reduce the wattage really.
    Downclocked and removed a 660 for this evenings session - it didn't help.

I feel absolutely "window licking" special for my fan set up, looking at it in retrospect I have no idea what I was thinking, it's a recent thing too, my thinking was pump as much air in through the sides and have it all vent out the top, kinda kiln fashion. Then i realised what Kilns are for... baking stuff.:dremel::nono:

Will be the first thing I play with tomorrow - due to the H50 radiator I can't install a second fan in the top, but i can definitely expose the vents a bit more.

Pocket Demon, that has to be one of the highest calibre posts I've seen on here in a long time. People often overlook the cost of electricity, and the fact you applied the same logic to the water cost just blew me away. Pure quality post.

I live in Kent (to be precise, feel free to stalk me, I'm an ugly *******), got good rates on the leccy through the property manager here - semi residential/business accommodation, it's weird but suits me perfectly, it's just the noise and heat that are killers for me.

I've moved over to my laptop for now, which is resting on the balcony table - i'm watching bats while drinking cider and trying my best not to crush fruit flies into my screen.

Seems this was the ideal solution to the problem for now - until the mosquitoes arrive...

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

In my setup, which is similar to you I have 2 fans in the front as intakes then the h50 in push pull attached to the rear. Pulling air from inside the case and exhausting it. There is then a top fan as an exhaust too.

You sound fairly switched on and probably know this anyway, but my rad in the h50 was choked with dust. It was filth of epic proportions.

5. bsp

bsp Minimodder

This gives me an idea! Extreme under clocking! How low can you go?

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I was worried that my 45C idle temps (cpu) were because of the heat, but not really... my cooler and fan were totally caked in dust so I gave them a clean and I'm back to 39C idle at 25C room temp. I can't do any stress testing though...lol.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I see your points regarding running costs, but it personally doesn't bother me. If I have to worry about £38 of extra electricity per month for the few weeks of the year I actually need it on for long periods, then I've got bigger things to worry about and probably should be selling the pc in the office I'm using the A/C to cool. It's thermostat controlled though so clicks on and off as and when required, saving a good percentage of your estimated cost I should say. We have a 2.5m expandable hose and an adjustable window fitment that spans the gap preventing outside heat entering as much as possible.

I also understand your point about pricing; however, I didn't 'quote' a price. I stated it's the best £150 I've spent. I bought this unit 4 years ago when they weren't so popular in homes, hence a little cheaper. I keep it clean and have recently had it re-gassed for £20 which brought the chill right back as if new.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it suits us just fine in our house and the pug is happy too as he hates the heat. :)

Good points raised though and your logic is sound indeed.

Edit: ..and the water collected from the dehumidifier in the A/C is used to water my chilli plants. Bit of carbon offsetting on a (very) small scale. :) until I then use extra trees in the bathroom due to the chilli of course...

Last edited: 15 Jul 2013
  8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

No worries at all & thanks for the compliment.

There's always going to be times when a saving in running costs can never offset an increased purchase price, but since both are £200 retail (& so i imagine about the same on eBay unless you got really lucky) then it looked like there might be something in it...

...though i'd have put the calculations up even if the saving had worked out to be negligible as, either way, it might be of use to someone.

Yeah, if you're going to do back of the envelope calculations to get an idea of the scale of something, they need to be fair - & as water can cost many people & it's essential for one of them then it's important to factor it in as a potential extra cost.

Admittedly, i did exclude the cost for any replacement parts - though naturally having noted previously that i've had to replace the filter in the older of my two... ...however as Sentinel-R1 has said that he/she has had to pay £20 within 4 years to have it his/her one re-gassed, this suggests that mine are cheaper to maintain.

i've also no idea of the average longevity of either - though i've just double checked & i bought the 1st one a year earlier than i'd recalled; back in 2007, making this its 7th summer...

...however, i do think it is a reasonable comparison & good that you agreed. :)

Oh, if you're getting electricity *that* cheaply, you could always buy extension leads to sell it on to your neighbours - using the year's profits to employ a retinue of personal attendants, each summer, to waft you, & the machine, with palm leaved fans...

it'd be a solution to the heat that wouldn't generate too much noise... Though perhaps the plan needs a little more thinking through to become fully workable.

Similarly, thanks for the compliment on this - & clearly i'd misunderstood what you were meaning re the £150; i'm sorry for that.

All in though, it was about making some kind of comparison.

Well, similarly to the fact that yours will switch on & off, the comparative fan only uses a max of 85W - & with 3 very distinct fan speeds then there's clearly some major potential for it costing much less per hour...

...though taking both into consideration, yours would have to be good enough to only need to come on for maybe a minute or two every hour to come down to the same running cost - which is, of course, an unreasonable demand from it.

Then, my assumption about only using them for 11 hours (i'd taken the mid-point of the two) is likely to be a gross underestimate in a situation where either the machine's left on 24/7 (particularly if you're working in the environment) &/or you're also looking at cooling a bedroom with whichever option.

Well, we could halve the amount of power that both use, though i think this may well be an significant over correction, & still be looking at the same kind of figures for a 28 day period...

...& given that i've got two rooms that i particularly want to keep cool throughout the day & night for myself this would roughly double the cost difference - since my water's unmetered, an extra £70+ for each 28 days when it's hot is money i'd rather not spend unnecessarily.

Of course conversely, if someone were out all hours every day & only needed cooling for a couple of hours here & there during the same hot weather then they'd be waiting forever for a significant price difference...

...but then i guess they wouldn't spend money on either of them, given the lack of usage.

Anyway, i've realised that i'm now overanalysing what was only supposed a rough calculation to give some idea of comparative cost, so will stop there.

Otherwise, whilst you're using the water collected wisely, along with the trees then i'm not sure it offsets the environmental cost of all the extra moisturiser that'd be necessary(?).

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Instead of using a A/C unit for the whole room, you could just get a chiller unit. Although im not sure if you could mod the H60 :(

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My i7 rig is idling at 50 degrees.

And as soon as I do anything on it the room it is in becomes unbearably hot.

Roll on winter.

11. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

Not really noticed much on mine (i5 occ'd to 4.5). Although we do have a large house so the heat dissipates a lot better. I remember a few years ago when me and the missus were living in a flat: unbearable heat. Made gaming next to impossible unless I played in the buff.

Just had to remember to remove the webcam...

12. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

It's never an accident ;)

I rearranged the room a little to free up some more airflow, redid my fans, downclocked to stock, enabled power saving mode, enabled "Efficiency" in the bios, installed a 16 inch fan by the window to bring in cool air, opened all the windows in the house (upwards facing windows, so no hot air rising into the house) and had a cold shower.

Gaming session lasted 25 minutes before the heat was unbearable again.

Am I living in satans thermos flask?!

Even idling, watching Youtube results in a marked increase in temps.

I dunno, I spend 9 months moaning about the rain and the cold and the minute summer comes around I hate it.

Bugger off axial tilt!

13. bsp

bsp Minimodder

disable hardware accelleration in the browser?

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really noticed an increase in temps from system enough I have all overclocks disabled in summer.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I had a couple of hours on The Witcher 2 yesterday, and my GPU peaked at 49 degrees. CPU cores were in the mid 40s. Not bad for a single 240mm Alphacool UT60. :)

16. Deders

Deders Modder

failing to see what exactly you are worried about?

On another note the difference in ambient temperature doesn't seem to make much difference to my setup, even when I stress it, nothing goes much above 70c on air even when overvolted and overclocked. Probably to do with the well designed case.

When gaming my CPU stays around 55c

Edit: Actually today has been hotter than the last few, just did a long stress test with afterburner using the furry tessellation test along with Prime64 and my CPU temps were rising to 77c after about 7 mins. GPU fan speed was at 90% but it didn't clock down once, speeding the case side fan up didn't seem to make much of a difference. I bet If i were to install one or 2 fans in the top and open the top vent, or get a more modern CPU cooler It would be lower but I'm happy so long as my CPU doesn't hit 80, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon as I'm playing Final fantasy 7 at stock clocks for now.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2013
  17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well I have noticed a 5c increase in the temps on my graphics cards and about a 5c increase in the temps on the motherboard.

Not bad really but I am sure it would be worse if I wasn't running a air con unit.

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Hotter means louder. I like my system as quiet as possible.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

Ahh, mine's pretty much silent. sometimes I wake up thinking it's on, but it isn't.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Ha, same! But I don't game anymore, kept forgetting to put CPU back to stock and underclock the GPU......

The problem isn't in the computer cooling everyone seems to be concentrating on, it's how to effectively cool your room. I have a square fan and I put it on the window to suck cool air into the room, it works wonders and my room is coolest first floor room in the house. Just turn off the lights, open windows and turn it on maximum when I go for a shower.

My PC is almost silent and with auto fan controller, no need to worry about temperatures. I laugh at all you who have to keep an eye on temperature and complain at the fan noise levels :p