1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards I think this motherboard is dead!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big-_-t0ny, 17 Jul 2013.

1. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

Here's the deal: My friend got a new case for the system I built him last year. He wanted me to help him transfer the parts into the new case (a Fractal Design Define R4) and once we were ready to boot it up, nothing happened.

Literally NOTHING happened when I pressed the power button. I did the usual re-sitting of parts and checking cables, but it didn't do anything. The PSU worked in another PC, and trying another PSU in the same machine didn't help. He also got a new CPU cooler (CM 212 Evo) which I thought could be shorting the Mobo, but switching back to the stock cooler did nothing.

I think it is a matter of the case short circuiting the motherboard, maybe to do with the stand off screws?

System info;
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    8GB DDR3
    AMD 7770
    Intel i5 Ivy
    Samsung SSD
    Seagate Barracuda
    Define R4
    CM 212 EVO

Cheers to anyone who can help!:blah:

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Silly question but did you try using a screwdriver to start the PC?

Just trying to rule out a faulty power switch.

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

it does sound like either the power cables are not installed incorrectly, thats including the 24pin and the 8/4 pin power cable.

If everything is fine build the pc out of the case and see if it starts. if it does then you will know that its the case short circuiting the motherboard

4. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

Tried multiple power buttons, and I also reset the CMOS settings with no luck.

@Flame: I think I will have to try that later.

EDIT: Tried running it outside of the case with a switch and a post beeper and it booted with a perfect beep. :) Thanks for suggesting that, I wouldn't have tried if you hadn't of said! Now to figure out what is shorting the Mobo!

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013