1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory RAM recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkeningLight, 18 Jul 2013.

1. DarkeningLight

DarkeningLight What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit-tech,

Recently my computer has been running slow and looking at the Performance in the Task Manager my Ram is commonly running at between 50% - 65% of max usage. (I have 4GB of RAM). So i thought that i might need a RAM upgrade.

Firstly would an upgrade in RAM be useful in speeding up my computer. I spend time programming and such but when it comes to hardware i know nothing.

Secondly if a RAM upgrade would be good could somebody recommend an upgrade and perhaps a guide in how to upgrade.

I don't know much about my current specs. I recently found out about my DxDiag. Which i posted on my Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o9px7lu2ihzfcp/DxDiag.txt Hopefully it will help.

Thanks for your help.

Kieron

2. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

This site has a useful tool which will help you identify what motherboard you have and what memory you need :)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

3. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You would prob find more ram will make bugger all difference tbh if you are not maxing out what you have.

A ssd however will make things like greased lightening.

5. narwen

narwen narwen

6. DarkeningLight

DarkeningLight What's a Dremel?

If i was to get a SSD i would want to change me main drive (C: ) but as far as i know my operating system is installed on it. How could i move the operating system?

Last edited: 19 Jul 2013
  7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

+1 on getting an SSD. However, I don't know what a data transfer kits is? I would presume it consists of a SATA data cable and possibly a molex-SATA converter :p

I wouldn't recommend cloning old HDD to new SSD but it can be done. If you buy a Samsung drive they even give you the software to do it.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if you are using 50-65% of RAM then adding more will not do anything.

If you were using 90%+ id suggest an upgrade but there are better things to do with your money with your utilisation.

+1 on an SSD like the others you will see an instant performance jump

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

If you get an SSD
    Find your windows installation disc and reinstall. Fresh install will only prevent anything wrong happening and also make it fresh so it starts at its maximum capabillity. Although the speed difference you will notice will be immense

Tags: