1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung announces SSD 840 Evo in sizes up to 1TB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Jul 2013.

1. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Storage Review is the place to go for all things HDD (and SSD)

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

If you are referring to 'Hardware - Storage' then there is nothing in there regarding actual HDDs in the last 4-5 years. I know, I looked before I made my first comment. :)

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I think he means StorageReview.com

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Ahhh... See? That's where the confusion lays. Thanks for thin hint John_T, I've never heard of it. Although I would rather Bit-Tech did the article I want as I think I am used to their points of views, rather than moving over to a different tech site.

5. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

The question is how much write cycles will it give? As the previous MLC's did provide nearly 3000 write cycles (advertised), TLC's can prove to have even lesser write cycles (of course the memory will be too large for TRIM to evenly distribute the data between cells). Any thoughts on that?

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

No worries mate. :)

I see where you're coming from and actually think it's pretty good idea for a general round up of what's happened in the intervening years.

I appreciate most people use SSD's as their base drive now, but people still use HDD's for storage - whether in their main rig or in a NAS box. In my PC I've got a Seagate 2TB ST2000DM001 Barracuda which I regret buying, (it's hot, loud and very sluggish). Next to it I've got a Western Digital 3TB Red WD30EFRX - it averages 6-8 degrees cooler than the Seagate, is quieter, faster, and supposedly uses less electricity. (I'm thinking of getting a couple more and changing my backup drives).

NAS-orientated drives are a new phenomenon since the last bit-tech HDD reviews, so maybe a quick look at those would be worthwhile?

7. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Sorry John_T - I should have just put the full address of the site in.

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Huh...off the top of my head, I would have thought "drives is drives", to a large extent. I know better than to buy WD Green drives (slow, head-parking logic is stupid), but for dumb storage in my NAS, the Spinpoint 2TB, Spinpoint 500GB, Seagate 1TB all seem about the same. I've got the OS & programs on the 500, 2TB as primary storage, and back that up between the Seagate and WD drives.

But maybe I'm just bitter I can't get Spinpoints anymore :( I bought nothing but for quite some time.

9. John_T

John_T Minimodder

To be honest, I thought we were more or less at the point where 'drives is drives' as well - that's why I bought the Seagate Barracuda without bothering to do any research, it was cheap and I thought "how much difference can there be now?". Buy in haste, resent at leisure... :)

I'm with you on the Spinpoints though, had several of those, they were great! I bought nothing but Samsung HDD's for nearly a decade, never had a single one fail on me while I used them. Quiet, fast, reliable. Yeah, miss those.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

No worries mate - that was actually a new site to me, I've had a good look at it and it's brilliant so I've bookmarked it. Thanks for the share! :)

11. caution

caution What's a Dremel?

1TB sounds great - but let's be honest for a moment, unless there are many VM images, is there a reason to go >512GB.

12. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags