1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia launches Quadro K6000 as world's fastest GPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hmm is this what people originally labelled as the Titan Ultra? Certainly it shares the idea of having all the clusters activated on the GK110 chip. Wonder if they're planning to release a gaming version with all the clusters available? Can't imagine why they're need to at this stage though, not to mention the price would be eye watering.

Still, 12GB of memory is insane, that would be so incredibly useful. The difference between even 6 and 12GB is colossal when dealing with the kind of 3D workloads this card is intended for. Scenes will regularly break 6GB without a sweat, 12 will add an awful lot more headroom.

3. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

I work in cg, but mainly stills. I have hardly ever seen a scene use less than 8-9Gb of ram! We have not been able to try realtime rendering (which uses the graphics card for rendering) up until this point because of that.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No word on price...

though, based on how much the high-end Quadros currently cost, I'll wager if you have to ask, you can't afford one...

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yep, 2880 cores seems to indicate a fully unlocked GK110, making it even more powerful than the Titan or Tesla K20 (I wonder if they'll add a new Tesla equivalent to the K6000 though). You'll never see this chip appearing in a consumer card though as chip yields and binning will make it crazy expensive, and that's before they whack on the premium for being an ultra luxury product!

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Seems like nvidia finally cares a little more about workstation graphics. To me, it seems like they put all their time into desktop graphics, tablets, and CUDA servers, but not so much of workstations. AMD for a while has been a great choice for workstation graphics due to the often better performance for a significantly lower price (though this does depend on what programs you use).

I feel like a couple W7000s in crossfire would offer nearly as good of performance as this quadro but for a lower price, though, it would have 4GB less VRAM. However, I find it pretty hard to believe that more than 8GB of VRAM is *actively* in use. The quadro's performance likely comes from its cores. Workstations IMO are the best for multi-GPU setups, since stuff like micro-stuttering isn't much of a problem when it comes to things like rendering.

7. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Just a titian with 12gb memory

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Except that 12GB of memory is a pretty big deal and is much more useful. Not to mention the decreased TDP, increased core clock and increased CUDA core count...

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

"The company certainly had support for those claims: staffers from Pixar, Nissan, and Apache were all trotted out to offer soundbites about how access to pre-release Quadro K6000 boards had revolutionised their workflows"

Should have used multiples of previous model and had that revolution early.

10. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

yeah i know i work with 3D every day. But the price whats coming on that not for me. Probably over 1000$. I'll wait and see.

11. RedFlames

Well considering the current range-topping quadro, the 6000 [no K], without any of the add-on gubbinz like Frame Lock is a smidge over £3000 [~$4800], I can't see it's replacement being any cheaper.

... I always keep that link handy for whenever a customer whines about the price of a GPU ...

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity, no need to get too technical but what is the difference/intended use between a Quadro and a Tesla based GPU?

13. RedFlames

Tesla cards can't/don't output video, they're purely for CUDA/OpenCL GPGPU based number crunching...

Quadros are to Geforce [FirePro/FireGL to Radeon if you're AMD inclined], what Xeons are to the Core series, they're tweaked/optimised for desktop 2d/3d-based grunt work suck as CAD and 3d Modelling...
    They're generally under-clocked compared to their geforce counterparts, primarily to increase reliability, but the programs they're partnered with eat VRAM like it's going out of fashion [such 3d scenes with poly counts comfortably in the millions], hence the Quadro cards having 2x-3x the frame buffer of the consumer-grade Geforces... Quadros tend to be better at/with OpenGL rendering than Geforce Cards too... Finally they're geared towards driving hi-res, pro grade monitors, hence displayport being standard on pretty much every Quadro card of the past few years, long before DP started to appear on consumer cards...

They also support add-on cards like SDI input/output and Frame Lock most of which I have no clue what they do...

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

That is along the lines of what i was thinking but something you mentioned does raise another question for me. If Tesla cards can't/don't output video, how come the Titan cards and now the GTX780 and GTX770 cards are based on the Tesla K20 GPUs and not a Quadro part?

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This is the wrong way round to look at it.

All of the cards (Geforce, Quadro, Tesla) are based on the Kepler architecture. GK110 (in various bin states)being used for the Tesla K20 / Quadro K6000 and Titan/780 , whilst GK104 (again in various bin states) is used for the Tesla K10 (IIRC) / Quadro K5000 (again IIRC) and 770 and downwards.