1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Intel i5 build no overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slash88, 26 Jul 2013.

1. Slash88

Slash88 Just starting out

Hi I was wondering what would be a good CPU + Motherboard parts to have for no overclocking.

Preferably intel i5 haswell/ivybridge.

I will be gaming with it and doing basic pc work. I have a HD7850 2GB OC to go with it.

2. Slash88

Any one? :)

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

No complaints about my rig, if that's of any help.

4. magnetobob

magnetobob What's a Dremel?

Hi slash bit more information would help for the requirements
    Budget:

Main uses of intended build:

Parts required:

Previous build information (list details of parts):

Monitor resolution:

Storage requirements:

will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):

Extra information about desired system:

5. Slash88

Already answered most of your questions in my original post.

I only need the cpu/motherboard/ram to replace my current set up which is old.

I have been looking at this set up on amazon:

Intel i5 4570
    G.Skill Ares 8GB (2x 4GB)
    Asus B85M-G Motherboard

Subtotal: £259.10

I already have a 500w psu, 2 hdds, pc case with fans, 1080p monitor, hd7850 2gb oc.

Although I think I might have to upgrade my PSU as haswell is weird and requires certain PSUs..

6. magnetobob

magnetobob What's a Dremel?

Fair enough seems you've made a sensible choice as long as the motherboard has the features you want

Last edited: 27 Jul 2013
  7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Nothing wrong with that. If you are not overclocking I wouldn't worry about spending too much.

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I would consider the FX 6300 with a half decent board.

This for example

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...+PCI-Express+ATX+Motherboard+?productId=53359

And this

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...3++6-Core+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=52724

Come to £163. Add memory and you'll be right around £200. Use the £60 for an SSD.

Later on you can add a half decent air cooler for £30 ish and then proceed to clock its balls off. They (the 6300) usually do 5ghz easy. With games coming that use as many cores as you can find the 6300 is right up there with the 2500k when the cores are all being used.

9. Slash88

Did you not read anything I said lol?

I don't want to overclock. Never have, never will.

10. AlienwareAndy

Meaning - when you get to the point that the CPU is not fast enough any more (and you will) you can throw on a cooler and spend ten minutes on the internet figuring out how to overclock it.

If you buy a locked Intel when it becomes too slow there's nothing you can do about it, however, my recommendation was not based on overclocking it I just said that later on you could have a go.

Hey, if you want to buy a locked chip that can't be overclocked then that's entirely up to you. Me? I've bought one locked CPU in as long as I can remember and I had it a year before wanting to upgrade because it wasn't cutting it any more.

I guess what I'm saying is never say never because that can be expensive.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Honestly I thought exactly the same thing so I bought the i5 2500 non unlocked version. However, looking into things and a couple of years down the line I regret it as its ridiculously easy to do and will probably delay an upgrade for another generation or two.

For the sake of £5 it really is a no brainer.

Edit: just noticed the 7850, I have the Asus version and it overclocks like a beast :) Literally all you have to do is go into Catalyst control center and move all the sliders up to max, as they are all within safe limits, and give an extra 5-10% performance which the 7850 does occasionally need for 1080p.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2013
  12. AlienwareAndy

Absolutely. I had the same sort of logic in my head when I bought my Xeon...

"But it's £30 cheaper" "But I don't want to overclock" etc etc.

I ended up going SLI GTX 670s (somewhat out of luck) and it couldn't cut the mustard at all with very high settings.

Clock per clock the AMD 6300 is up there with the 2500k when all cores are firing. With the way things are going... Yeah, I will never, ever make the mistake of totally ruling out overclocking again tbh.

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The best current i5:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...z-turbo-1200mhz-gpu-34x-ratio-retail-plus-fre

Motherboard:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-(vga)-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Ram:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-low-profile-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600mhz)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-

A cheaper motherboard, still Z87 so overclocks. Doesn't support SLI but you have an AMD so I assume thats alright:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z87m-g43-intel-z87-s-1150-ddr3-sata-iii-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dport-dvi-d-hdmi-matx

14. Slash88

My 7850 is the overclock edition.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Factory overclocked. Have you noticed that many gpu makers charge more for the same card, with the same cooler just different clock speeds. For my Asus card there were 3 different levels, so I bought the stock one and OCed it to the same level in 30 secs and saved £30.

If you really don't want to overclock then you don't have to but I guarantee that it will save you money in the future, and the hassle of upgrading.

Edit:

Stock:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-radeon-hd-7850-4800mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-860mhz-1024-cores-hdmi-2x-mdp-dl-dvi-i

OC:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-radeon-hd-7850-oc-4800mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-1024-cores-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini-dp-plus-10-cashback-p

Notice the only difference is a core speed boost of 40mhz. And the difference is £10.

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

There is some sense in not bothering.
    No over clocking price is £260.
    If you wanted to overclock £20 for the k version, £30 for Z87 with decent power circuitry and £30 for a cooler. You've just increased the price by 27% for a 15-20% increase in your CPU performance which will only ever matter in the last two years of the CPU lifespan unless your also planning dual 780's.

17. Slash88

Actually it was far cheaper than the normal version ;D