1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Ok, I have not got a clue...New ISP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Throbbi, 30 Jul 2013.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

So, with Sky becoming available in my area now I decided to make the switch since it works out a load cheaper and according to other in the area they're pretty fast and reiable (by comparison at least. Until activation day.

After receiving the relevant emails to tell me my service was up and running I proceeded to get everything set up. All fine. All relevant light on the router, everything ok, open up chrome and that's when issues started. Many websites refuse to open.

So far, out of things which I regularly use we have:
    Working:
    - Google Mail
    - Formula1.com
    - Nationwide banking
    - youtube

Not working:
    - Hotmail
    - facebook
    - twitter
    well, anything else really since I couldn't be arsed to try any more.

So i figured, forget it til tomorrow and go play some games. Firing steam up I see that downloads through steam are all hunky dory and I can also use the friends list and chat with people ok but no access to the store pages. I also can't log in to any kind of online game (I'd intended to play an MMO at the time).

Curiosity takes over and I fire up my laptop to fin it has no issues whatsoever besides putting in new WiFi details. All websites working fine without issues.

Since i only installed windows again a couple of weeks ago i decided to just reinstall again for a nice and simple quick fix but the same problem remains. Not even Sky's own website will load up.

WTF is going on?!?!? :wallbash:

Help me folks, I'm going ****ing crazy here since it makes literally no sense at all.

2. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

Well seeing as reinstalling windows has affected the problem I'd say it has more to do with the computer than the router/ISP.

Try reinstalling the drivers for the wifi adapter.

Otherwise (I realise this might be obvious but) factory reset the router??

Just a few suggestions.

ED: and have you tried other browsers?

Had another thought. It could be an IP address conflict.

Our sky router has options to change the default ranges of the IP addresses the router assigns different devices. eg. 192.168.0.x - 192.168.0.xxx

try playing with that.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm presuming the problem is on your main rig?

Strange how it's been okay since a fresh install a fortnight ago. Otherwise I'd have either gone with borked drivers via WU or a potentially fubared nic - assuming you're wired in.

Is the nic set to dhcp? Anything in the hosts file? What AV/Firewall are you running?

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Obvious or not, any suggestion is reasonable right now :lol: I did forget to mention that this is a wired connection, the wifi connection to the laptop is working fine with no problems at all :sigh:

Have done resets and still no change.

Right at this moment I'm not running any firewall or AV since there's literally nothing else on the drive right now, I'm just trying to get it running right before finishing reinstallation from back ups of all my stuff.

Also, networking stuff is not my strong suit, nic to dhcp?

5. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Have you done a speedtest.org ?

What is the IP address your computer is getting?

Go into command prompt (cmd) and type:

ipconfig /all (for information)
    ipconfig /flushdns (and test them sites that don't work)
    ipconfig /release - followed directly by - ipconfig /renew

Give those a shot and get back to us.

Some people might not think so, but the Windows tool 'diagnose for errors' or whatever it was called is actually decent, and does most of those things I suggested automatically.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Any speedtest is impossible since it refuses to load any of them up. Going onto speedtest with the laptop shows my IP as still being a talktalk one. I have a feeling there's some kind of clash going on but it still doesn't even begin to explain why the laptop is completely unaffected and the desktop is now completely without usable internet.

Did those bits through cmd and nothing affected.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

also if ipconfig /flushdns doesn't help, then try with admin cmd prompt netsh winsock reset, if none of this works, try looking for updated network card drivers, or try a different network card, have seen a few isp supplied routers recently, that dislike some nics.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd agree with the last point. I had a mobo with two inbuilt nics and overnight one failed, tried the other one, fine. Tried it back in the original one, dead.

Can you do a complete reset on the Sky-provided router? Or ask them for a replacement?

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ok, so on a complete and total whim I hooked up my previous router and it's all working fine so clearly the new Sky hub doesn't like my main rig. Not entirely sure which way to go abut that.

Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts guys, I'm sure I'll be back as I have a feeling this one isn't over yet :sigh:

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Have you tweaked any DNS settings on that PC?

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Nope, none at all. It's just the laptop which really had me confused but it's working......for now lol

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Just a thought, is it to do with the MTU setting being off between the PC and new sky router? I'm not sure where you would find that setting, or if it is still relevant these days, but i remember having problems with it and AOL a few years back.

13. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Disable all tcp offloading as well, fixes a lot of issues

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Well it's all change today. Now there's no connection of any kind lol! I give up, time to phone them......when the neighbour gets in since I'm not calling an 08442 number from my mobile.

EDIT: sorted. After a 45 minute call (they called me back in my mobile woot!) there's an external fault with the switchover so all I have to do is wait. At least I can stop worrying now. Cheers for all the brain wracking fellas :thumb:

Last edited: 30 Jul 2013