1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Advice on running 4 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbens, 3 Aug 2013.

1. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Hello, I'm currently running a 24 inch monitor with my nVideo GTX 460 and occasionally using my HDTV as the second monitor to watch films.

I've ordered a couple of cheap second hand 17 inch Dell monitors from ebay to go triple monitor at my desk and have the TV as the 4th monitor.

My GPU can only run 2 monitors at a time. I need the ability to run 3 monitors simultaneously. I'll not need all 4 at the same time as if I'm watching my TV the PC monitors will be off and vice versa although if I'm having to keep disabling 1 to use my HDTV then that would be a pain and I'd need the ability to have all 4 in use at once even though there would be a max of 3 actually turned on.

I'd rather not have to replace my current GPU as I don't game these days so it's more than enough for now and is liquid cooled so would be a pain to drain and swap it.

Is it possible to add a second GPU purely to power the extra 2 screens? Maybe something cheap and passively cooled (so no extra noise on my very quiet PC) such as: this? Also is it possible to use the 3 monitors in games since the 2 extra ones are different size and screen resolution to my main monitor?

My other option is to use a USB video adapter (which I can't imagine would be as good as an extra GPU) to allow me to run 3 monitors simultaneously such as this. Anybody have any experience with these?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

An extra GPU like the 610 would be ideal, If it's not for gaming then you wouldn't need to put it in a PCIe x16 slot either.

3. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip.

So to clarify the 610 will definitely work nicely with my 460 to allow me to have all 3 monitors and my HDTV working at the same time? I'll be using 24 inch and HDTV (HDMI out to my AV receiver) from my 460 outputs and the 2x 17 inch from the 610.

If so I'll order one in from Scan today for £29 to be delivered on Monday :D