1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steveneedle, 4 Aug 2013.

1. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

hiya guys can anyone help me
    I have 5 computers at the moment running off of my router only one is hard wired the rest are wireless.....plus phones running off the wireless
    im getting problems with connection speeds and conflicts...
    I have 4 network ports on the back of the router...can I use one of these to wire to another router?...as I have 2 computers next to each other folding maybe a few m,ore to follow...an then hard wire them to the second router?
    any help would be good thanks

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Get a switch and that'll let you hard wire more devices.

I have 2 switches connected to my router to allow multiple devices in different rooms in house

3. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

4. Carpet3

Carpet3 Minimodder

Yep.

You may need a crossover cable, most stuff now is autosensing but not everything

5. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

whats a cross over cable?

6. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Don't worry about it. Switch to router uses a straight-through cable (unless the router has switch ports, in which case it would use a crossover) and you don't need to know what that is either. If you're buying new your stuff should autosense and you don't need to think about it. Make sure you get ethernet cables to match your needs, 5e should suffice.

7. Carpet3

Carpet3 Minimodder

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. You'll probably be fine with a straight through

8. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

ok ill see what I can find thanks guys

9. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

will it mater what cable I run from my router to the switch.....it will need to be at least 10m long

10. workingclass

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You won't solve anything by adding another router, or at least not much. The solution is not to use wireless spectrum if possible - because all your wireless devices share the wireless bandwidth your router provides. So if you got a 802.11g with 54Mbps theoretical maximum speed, then if all of your 4 clients start communicating at once, your 54Mbps theoretical speed is divided into 4, and that is not even the real speed, just the link speed - the real one will be about the half of that. So you will be happy to get 6,75Mbps to every client in case of 4 clients.

In case of wired ethernet, there is no bandwidth sharing, only the "speed of the internet connection" is shared.

So the answer is - wire your wireless devices if possible. If you need more wired ports, add a 5 or 8 port network switch.

12. workingclass

I got so busy thinking about his questions I forgot to look at the big picture :D But you're right and wrong. If he can figure out how, he can have an additional AP on a seperate channel and there would be more space for his wireless clients. But as you say, wired is best.

13. faugusztin

Sure he could - if he has no other routers around him, which is really hard to find. For example i see 9 wifi networks right where i sit now, and considering 2.4GHz WiFi has only 14 channels and only 4 non-overlapping blocks of channels, then the spectrum is not only shared between my devices, but between other wireless devices connected to other WiFi networks on the channels which overlap with my channel...

In other words - for now, only 802.11ac or 802.11n on 5GHz is the answer (for example i am the only one in the whole neighborhood with a 5ghz wifi), but there are problems with the clients in that case. 802.11 on 2.4GHz is inherently problematic.

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

DO NOT use 6 for general purpose! Highly susceptible to interference, and without the proper shielding, it gives no gains whatsoever. CAT5e is all you need.

15. faugusztin

Why would anyone buy UTP cables, even if it is "only" Cat5e ? :eeek: