1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA gets the Humble Bundle treatment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Aug 2013.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it's fair to say that if you don't like EA, you won't like this bundle :D

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

People like to moan, in it's our DNA :p

Personally I'll probably be using most of them on Steam purely because that's where I have most of my games, and I have it open since I use steam chat all the time.

But I've got no problems using Origin where I have to, the biggest downside for me is fewer of my friends use it, so I'll have steam open regardless.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

For future reference, if images are blocked on the humble bundle site, it means they're going to be blocking all image hosting sites as well as video hosting like Youtube and Vimeo, so your best bet is to host on bit-tech itself. If he can access the forum, the images won't be blocked. I know that's how it is here anyway, where all image and video hosts are blocked by the content filter, as well as many other sites which contain banned words.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Heh, our work firewall is pretty aggressive. No access to websites related to gaming, gambling, alcohol, social media, cloud storage, and so on. I'm pretty sure that I can see pictures from people's albums on bit-tech, so your suggestion's a good one :D

5. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Historically there is usually a few games added around half-way through the availability window. Personally my money is on Dead Space 2 showing up then. Not sure what else, although Crysis 1/Warhead or maybe some of the Mass Effect games might be potentials I guess. If its the latter I hope they include the soundtracks :D.

As for the bundle - I already had almost all of the games that were of interest to me, but its worth throwing in $5 (which is what? £3 in real money?) for Dead Space 3... if I ever get around to finishing Dead Space 2, that is :).

Not sure it's worth having a *third* copy of BF3 though, but what can you do?.

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

My main bone of contention with Origin is what a faff it is to restore your games should you reinstall Windows.

You have to back them up separately and then set them to download before pausing said download and replacing the game. Then wait ages for it to sync.

With Steam you just reinstall Steam back to the original folder and all of your games are ready and waiting for you when it's done updating.

Now I do like the Origin front end (Steam is going up its own ass a bit and getting too fancy for my liking) but Steam still wins hands down for me.

7. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I dislike Origin because I cant get the damn thing working, I get a runtime error everytime I try to install a game.

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I don't really have a preference...

Stupid Steam downloads an update and then wants to re-download the whole game again.:wallbash:

Got Origin installed but don't use it and I don't let it start with windows, same as Steam.

Securom...meh, not bothered about putting in a dvd.. takes as long as the login into Steam.

9. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I think both are kind of annoying with slow connections, but I prefer Steam because A: Steam sees the libraries you've already downloaded, so you don't have to re-download them, B: Easy backups on Steam. Seriously, Origin. Where's backup to DVD???

10. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Origin really isnt that bad anymore. I play BF3 pretty much every day, and I don't have any big issues with origin anymore. Sometimes the friends list doesnt load, but thats the same for steam.
    People like to have a dig at EA, even when they are improving things. I already own BF3 so I got this bundle for 67p. If it had any UK charities on it I might have paid a bit more.

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

That sounds like an issue strictly on your end. Steam connects instantly for me flawlessly, and most games if connection drops give a few seconds trying to reconnect (normally does). Only if the game's player ran multiplayer server dies completely I have ever been dropped from a game instantly.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It's only Steam that it happens on, and then it connects again after a few seconds.

13. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

And Origin has a habit of forgetting your login and password if you haven't opened it for a week. Never happens with Steam

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

What a bargin, I'm in.

15. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

I grabbed this for BF3 mostly, though I have seen some gameplay of DS3 which looks good I just haven't played through 1 and 2 yet.

First time using Origin and so far it seems inferior to Steam, never had a problem redeeming humble bundle keys on Steam but Origin takes whole damned minutes to even get to the screen where I could enter a key, it was ridiculous. Origin also seems to be just a web browser in disguise, I mean you can't access your game list offline afaik because that's a web page, as are most of the things you encounter, it's a weird approach but I guess makes sense if you've previously developed for consoles where you can't do anything at all on the device itself.

Next issue was the friends system, even though I've apparently had my account for a year or so (think I automatically got one because of my BFBC2 account) my friend (singular, only one would use origin, I see why now) couldn't add me by ID or real name. Then I tried the Facebook integration and found it's not a permanent link to Facebook, rather it asks you to log in then seems to search your friends list once for people who share their origin accounts (2 people out of 180, wheee) and after that it closes the link. It's an import rather than a proper linking, meaning that I have to enter my password every time and keep checking it, also now that I've done this other friends still can't find me via Facebook. Steam got this down ages ago Origin!

Then there's download management, you can only send them to one directory at a time it seems... which kinda sucks for those of us with an SSD and HDD setup.

As for random drops, steam will do that a fair bit though I haven't experienced anything catastrophic, Origin... no idea, haven't yet got around to playing a game on it though BF3 is infamous for requiring a browser to find a game, then by the time your game has loaded that game is full/doesn't exist, a real step backwards from BFBC2 and the integrated server browser.

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

You must be having serious issues in BF3, when you launch a game and there is a spot free, it reserves that spot at the point of the browser. This gives your game time to launch and enter the session, I have never had the game launch and then get a message saying its full.
    I am use to the browser way of going into BF3 now, I dont mind it, most people resist change, when we were younger, it was fine, we adapted to change easily, now we are older we always like the older way of doing things. But that is just a sign that we are getting older, nothing you can do about it :)

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Guys on greenman gamging you can get premium for about $15.

Best deal ever.

Tags: Add Tags