1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Looking for a room to rent 'double room' my arse

Discussion in 'General' started by GregTheRotter, 20 Aug 2013.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Depends on their age. Some Victorian properties are huge. New-builds are tiny.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yep and in most places they're demolishing the Victorian/Edwardian stuff and putting the new shoe-boxes where they stood... which is a bloody shame

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

All of you saying you don't stand a chance of getting that are wrong - I live in Tufnell Park in Zone 2, London and I pay 470 a month, + bills which are about £100. My room is 4m x 3m.

£550 a month inclusive of bills in reading is EASILY doable.

4. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Not all N/Bs are :p

5. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

I pay £460 a month living with parents.I have aspergers syndrome also depression also dyslexic unable to work so don't get that much support.

6. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Absolutely, a house share is the best option if price is the biggest concern. And Caversham is nice, I live there too.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

:thumb: Yeah, nice area. I'd live there too if I was in Reading

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Just don't look into London.

My girlfriend is going to work in London next year, quick look on house prices, cheapest is £600 for a tiny room in a house shared apartment.

11. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I bagged a 2 double bedroom (with ensuite) 3 year old new build flat in central london.
    It has solar-assisted heating, A rating efficiency, balcony with a view over playing fields - all for 1250 pcm, all mod-cons in the kitchen.

Rent split two ways with my Bro' - it's a comfy life.

It's all about the hunt and random opportunities, and being in a position to snap up the goodies when they appear.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

For the money some of you pay you would be better of buying.

1250 PCM is alot basically the mortgage for a decent sized family home anyplace accept London.

13. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

... and once you're a couple of years into a mortgage/have traded up from your flat that figure covers London too. We're paying £930 mortgage on a 3 bed detached in zone 4.

Don't buy because you think you'll make a mint, buy to get the stability and absense of the annual where am I going to be living stress. Living like a hermit for 2 years to save the deposit on my flat was the best move I ever made.

14. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I think we've got you here in the South West :)

Look up Sandbanks property. We live 6 miles out of it and our property is worth £650k.

15. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

We're looking into getting mortgaged, but we traded up from a ramshackle 1k/pm dive in clapham to this dream pad.

Getting anything with decent space, in prime locations these days is abysmally difficult and demotivating.

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

As said before, to live alone on that budget might be a bit tight.

I'm from the area although admittedly haven't looked at prices recently but have in the past.

Had a one bedroom flat (nothing special) which was £650 a month all in and it was an absolute steal at the time (approx 3 years ago).

You'll most likely be looking at a bedsit for you budget I'm afraid and would be far better off as others have said, getting a house share which would see your money getting you a reasonably large room in a professional share.

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Erm Im looking for a double room guys, there seem to be loads available for around the £550 mark, they just either are in a street that looks like chavs all belong on it, are tiny, have big minimum stay requirements etc etc etc.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

19. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

20. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

This made me think of the quality triangle for coding - you can have two of quality/speed/price but not all three ... in this case you can have two of space/location/price - I really do think a lot of people now want all three and so end up with none of it because they won't commit until they find perfection (which of course never comes).

Poshed up for a year as well (West Hampstead balcony flat overlooking a tennis club full of bored 30something housewives) then knuckled down to save. Think the main way people trip up when buying is they treat the place like a rental - what you see is all you get so you want something pretty perfect. Buy cheap/small/battered to get started and spend a little money on decorating and making nice yourself (it actually costs less than you think), then sell a few years down the line and move on to something closer to what you'd like. The mortgage will typically be less than rent and all that money you've been saving is suddenly available guilt free to use for living. Once you made the place livable you can carry on saving/paying down the mortgage to make that 2nd place something a lot closer to what you want.

/grandfatherly advice ends