1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Carbide - 98% Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Furball Zen, 16 Oct 2012.

1. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Got the GPU delivered yesterday and checked and then permanently installed today. It only took two reboots then the CCC asked me if i wanted to enable CrossFire so i knew i was in luck :) The only thing is since im running 3 monitors i cant run CrossFire or my 3rd monitor wont be used. Oh well :)

2. Furball Zen

Got all 3 monitors working and an evolving image to throw across them.

This is the current iteration (click for full size)

[​IMG]

3. Furball Zen

So, in some of the pics you can tell that my tubing went cloudy and the only thing im running was Primochill's Sysprep which is supposed to gently clean your system to prep it for your fave Primochill coolant. They clouded up pretty bad in less than 12 hours running only that solution on a freshly rinsed loop.

So, i emailed their customer service, supplied some pics and after sending them a receipt for the tubing, they sent me replacement tubing! I didnt really expect this, but to me thats great customer service :)

I have a 'new' camera on the way and want to take some detail shots of the mother board and other things that i didnt get to once i swapped from the DFI mobo, so when i drain to replace the tubing ill tear it down to clean and take the pics, adjust some wiring and reassemble for the final edition.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Nice mod, but I've missed something..

This mod is for you ex-wife?

5. Furball Zen

Yea, you missed post #9 :) This is my main PC now and thanks for the compliment :)

6. Furball Zen

Got my 'new' camera today, Sony DSC-H10, 8.1mp and semi pro (looks to be a step down from an SLR) and i must say....WOW.

All three pics are within seconds of each other using a tripod.

First pic is the older DSC-S60 w/Carl Ziess Vario-Tessar lenses (4.1mp), notice the color is good, but a bit washed out

[​IMG]

Second is the DSC-W180 w/Sony lenses (10.1mp), here the color burns into the CCD over powering the sensor

[​IMG]

And now the DSC-H10 w/Carl Ziess Vario-Tessar lenses (8.1mp), here, wow the color pops but you dont lose the resolution and the sensor isnt over powered, but the yellow also pops pretty well even though it isnt the fluorescent variant like the orange

[​IMG]

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ah, small detail overlooked due to awesome photo's! lol!

Explains the sudden project investment after this matter. Really loving the colour scheme. Black and Orange belong together.

8. Furball Zen

Thanks :) BTW, one of my 2 next projects will be a DFI 945-T2RS+ also :)

9. Furball Zen

Well, finally got my RF LED strip controller. They shipped the wrong one and then it took two weeks of emails back and forth to China to get them to understand what i wanted. Hope to tear out the tubing this weekend and replace it with the new stuff from Primochill and wire in the RGB controller. Then the last thing is cut and mount the window :)

10. Furball Zen

Is this thing done yet??? LOL

Been having issues with my herniated disc and havent felt up to hefting this case to drain and disassemble it (no Johnny Five!!) to replumb and take pics of everything like i did with the DFI board. Im hoping this weekend will be good for that.

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Ouch. Hope you heal well and feel better soon, mate. Looking forward to the next entry! :)

12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Good luck with the disc - is it back or neck? I had two replaced in my neck in Jan 2010 - so feel your pain!

Don't over do it - the build (and us) can wait for you to heal. :thumb:

13. Furball Zen

This is my S5L2 (or is it L5S2? LOL) disc and when it flares up it pinches my sciatic nerve. Something ive been dealing with for over 10 years. Its just been rough for the past few months due to crappy desk conditions at work. Thanks for the support :)

I am also very honored that this build got 5 stars and a MOTM nom, i had no idea it would come close to that when i started, i just wanted something that would evolve like it was living and growing. Truly, thanks :)

14. sprintdmc

sprintdmc What's a Dremel?

Hope your feeling better soon. Love the attention to detail. looking forward to next update.

15. Furball Zen

Thanks, i am feeling better but need to do some OT tomorrow on my otherwise day off. Who knows though ;)

16. Furball Zen

Ok, so been a long time, life gets that way sometimes eh? Well i 'fell' into some 'extra' money and decided to grab some extra niceties for this build. So since i already had all Swiftech barb fittings and two 45º elbows i thought i would get their compression fittings too. So i dropped $80 on 14 comp fittings and get them in the mail post haste and rip the box open to see how they fit... and they dont! I eluded to the fact that Primochill replaced my cloudy tubing for free and i stayed with the 3/5"x5/8" tubing since i had planned on stretching it over the 1/2" barbs still.

So, i contacted Swiftechs tech support who informed me they knew the LRT tubing wont work with their fittings like it was some defect on Primochills part. So a quick look at the tech specs for the fittings reveals the inside bore diameter is 10.2mm (larger than 3/8" and the widest part on the barb piece is 12mm. So, you have to force the tubing onto the fitting and stretch it out causing the collar to never be able to reach the threads to seal it up.

This annoyed me to no end so im going with XSPC stuff, but spending another $33 after shipping :(

17. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

It is impressive the attention to detail. Looking forward for the next updates.

regards,
    ziza

18. Furball Zen

:blush::thumb:

19. Furball Zen

Small update. Got the XSPC stuff in yesterday and promptly tore apart the CPU block to carbide it. I also thought id do a group shot with all the fittings (like everyone else does lol).

The reason i got a new CPU block is honestly i was pretty much put back with the whole Swiftech deal but also because i couldnt use the other block with comp fittings due to the gasket recess, it wouldnt seal up. The reason i went with comp fittings is because i got to thinking that it would probably put less strain on the components, plus the rotary feature will make it easy to assemble and disassemble if needed.

Also note the new format for the pics, my new camera does 16:9 which i think makes them look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]