1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair K65 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 20 Aug 2013.

1. ObsCure

ObsCure What's a Dremel?

No numpad I can do without.

Not backlit in this day and age on a keyboard priced at £70, myght as well use a £5 dell.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You should go do that.

3. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

The best feature on K60 has a really cool hand rest on the LHS for making the WASD keys easier to use, does the K65 ???

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I already got the k70, had regret when i saw this then no backlighting and relief.

lan theft, lol - the minute it stops being freindly i'm not interested. If you wanna game with scum.... use the internet.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I REALLY like the look of this. Definitely tempted for my next keyboard.

Note sure I could deal without the numpad though (I use one alot for budgeting).

6. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Looks a lovely keyboard. Thanks for the review :)

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

When you get an event with thousands of people, including those not there to game, people can just spectate etc, it's not surprising you get some people who see an opportunity.

Also don't quite get the want for backlighting/why people thinks it adds value to a keyboard, I'd far rather have more money spent on the construction or whatever than leds and the needed circuitry. (apart from the Ducky Shine 3/Dragon I think? With the mega customisable backlighting, that's awesome :D)

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I tend to agree on backlighting. I'm not quite a touch typist but I have little issue finding the right keys in low light - probably from two and a half decades of fingering keyboards. Not that it isn't a nice to have, but it's not necessary for most uses.

Also it's worth pointing out to those who don't know that backlighting on a regular membrane keyboard requires the addition of a single length of EL wire and a basic controller, total cost a few pence per keyboard (although the cynic in me would suggest it knocks the final retail price up by substantially more than that). With mechanicals, an individual LED has to be added to each keyswitch, which ramps up the production cost quite a lot more. The upside of this is that with the correct circuitry individual keys can be lit (such as on the Ducky Shine George mentioned above).

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Actually, that's not a bad idea. :D I haven't really put much thought towards it before this article. I could definitely use more space by cutting off a few inches on the right side of the keyboard. Could put the numpad on top of the desk and out of the way until needed.

10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

You'll not be going to an iLan then - you game with lots of cool people but when there's > 1K gamers and more just visiting for the day you'll always get scum, and they nick the easy stuff (mice/keyboards). Not that a kensington lock is fullproof - they'll just pull it hard enough to break the cable (making it useless to them and everyone else - the sort of people who do this aren't that smart).

11. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Totally agree, back lighting is not an optional extra, it's absolutely essential, especially at this price point. I have a Ducky II, it's awesome, had a G15 for 5+ years before that. Tried using a Meka G-Unit without back lighting, couldn't stand it, huge backwards step after having back lighting, Cherry blacks sucked too.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not meaning to be rude, just genuinely curious, why?

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

A backlit mechanical keyboard at £70 is possible (source) but generally they either need to be made in massive bulk or be of crap quality to make financial sense to the manufacturer.

I would take a properly well made keyboard with no backlighting and decent keycaps for £100 over a £70 backlit model in the blink of an eye.

14. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

I sit in the darkness a lot in front of my PC, don't you? ;)

I couldn't even see the keys unless they're backlit. I just think it's really convenient, you never have to guess where anything is, it's all right there, bang, immediately visible, right there in front of you. With the unlit Mega G-Unit I found myself shining the mouse laser over the keyboard, or holding it up to the display so I could see where the hell a specific key was, annoyed the crap outa me.

15. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I wondered the same.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I certainly do - which is why I learned, years ago, to touch-type. Which is good, because there's no such thing as a backlit Model F...

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

that looks rather ugly to me. Looks like a handy little keyboard for on the go. But still, eww.

18. rrrrrrichie

rrrrrrichie What's a Dremel?

The review mentions Corsair software to allow macro functionality through custom key combinations. Can anyone steer me in the direction of this software please as I cannot find it on their website?

Tags: Add Tags