1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA planning free-to-play mechanics for every major franchise

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Aug 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

What a brilliant idea for a company that is known for it's shitty servers!

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well they must be making money from microtransaction, other wise why would they be heading down this road ?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

wonder if it will be more Dead space 3 or NFS World Free to play?

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

There will only be one winner from this move...and it won't be the consumer.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Consumer has never been EAs priority not sure how this will change that.

I dont mind free to play games, Marvel heros is awesome game and its free to play you can buy heros sure or you can earn them ingame choice is entirely yours. No content is restricted or anything everything can drop ingame that you can aquire in the store.

Look at league of legends has the most active players of any game in the world and its free to play.

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

So no offline games means a game type that isn't particularly well-suited to free-to-play online multiplayer (despite being an excellent single player offline experience) simply won't get made by EA?

Why close doors unnecessarily?

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or it will get made, and microtransaction, stats tracking, and achievements will be shoe horned into it.

9. Pierre3400

Pierre3400 What's a Dremel?

If it works, all good, but personally I dont how this would work out for the better.

I play Theme Park on my iPad, crashes at least once every 20mins due to server connection error. Sim City, please dont get me started on server issues there.

Its just not a good idea for EA with the tracking history of server issues they are pulling along with them.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

"EA shoots own foot, frantically attempts to reload before other foot can escape".

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I for one am assuming the vast majority of games will be pay-to-win since this is EA...

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Looking at the forums at the number of ppl who play World of Tanks, Hawken, LoL, DOTA.....

FIFA Ultimate team is a free to play element, can be played without MTX and people spend hundreds on that and don't bat an eyelid. I think it's fine so long as it's done right.

I suspect BF4 will be pay to get double XP or pay for battlepacks, all of which can be unlocked in game anyway.

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well thanks for completely alienating the merchant marine industry as our internet is sketchy at the absolute best!

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

EA please don't ruin Dragon Age 3...please. :(

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Sim city showed EA a route it could effectively head, it sold millions despite the issues and is basically unpiratable due to most of the game been on a server.

Diablo 3 could be played offline if it was setup that way but blizzard dumped all AI and most of the maps on there servers instead. Making the game unpiratable.

The future of pc gaming maybe in this model. It may alienate a few people but the facts are people are buying the games still.

Gonna take more than a few forums for EA or any other publisher to take notice.

Free to play league or world in tanks style is fine by me and a few million others it seems.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Plants Vs Zombies 2 wasn't too bad, you could at least complete it without dipping into your pocket unless you really wanted those few plants (which were far to expensive at nearly £2 each) which you couldn't unlock during play.

17. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Please don't F*** up Mirror's Edge 2.... That is all

18. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

My dad has wanted to own BF2BC Vietnam for ages! (i let him use my steam account). Is it likely that will be free to play?

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I think you mean BFBC2 :)

20. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Microsoft dump always online. Ea instigate it, wonder who's pushing the marketing dynamics? Looks like a sign of things to come to me.

Tags: Add Tags