1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Probably the most dull race of the season.
    I hope those Greenpeace hippies get locked up though.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

My guess:
    Kimi stays at Lotus, as does Big John (the guy's fast enough).
    Massa out, the Hulk in at Ferrari
    Ricciardo to Red Bull (this is the logical choice for them, IMHO)
    Button and Checo to stay at McLaren. UNLESS they decide to get rid of Checo and replace him with PDR (I can still see this happening).

The question for me is really what will happen at Sauber and Williams.
    I doubt that Crashtor will stay, TBH.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I doubt they'll keep Massa, and I don't think he'll get a seat higher than FIndia or Sauber, if any; the smaller teams are too reliant on pay drivers.

I think McLaren are on the edge, if they can't produce a car for 2014 that can compete for victories, they're as good as done. I think Button will stay with them for 2014, although the fact that he has stopped moaning about the car means he's either satisfied with their focus on developing next year's car or that he's got a new deal lined up elsewhere. His performance relative to his new team mate in that dog of a car is probably the only thing upholding his own continuance in the sport, but I can see him being a positive move for Lotus, eventually.

I think Merc's performance has been the highlight of 2013.

I can see Di Resta in a Lotus, if Kimi jumps.

Webber has said that the Ricciardo thing has been a done deal for quite some time. Given that Webber is usually straight talking and his (probable) latent desire to piss in Horner's coffee, I believe him.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Jules Bianchi will go to the Sauber in exchange for Ferrari giving them their engines for free - in other words they will forget the 15 millions they ask now for them, and get an extra seat to train Bianchi in a better team than he is in now.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That sounds feasible to me...
    Or at least: Discount the engines in return for Bianchi's seat.

6. David

I think Checo and Crashtor will stay where they are, given the HUGE sponsorship revenue they brought with them. That's the only reason either of them are in the sport IMO.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

But weren't there some news about PDVSA reducing their sponsorships?
    That would put a dent in Maldonado's bid, if true...
    but don't cite me on that... a mate mentioned it, and I haven't had the chance to fact check yet.

8. David

Now that would be a turn up for the books... That PDVSA think he's gotten so crashtastically bad that they want to distance themselves.

I do hope there is some truth there. :)

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well, I'm back!

What a thoroughly exciting qualifying, followed by a thoroughly boring race. Call me critical, but a near-enough lights to flag win for Vettel with no-one to chase him down is really rather disappointing.

Pics to follow if the ones I've got are interesting. :)

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Pics, we demand pics :)

Qualy was awesome, but as you said the race was not quite so great with Vettel taking the lead before the first corner.
    The remainder of the race was wondering who would be second, and trying to guess what was going through Maldonado's mind :)

sp4nky likes this.
  11. Krikkit

Very well, some untouched (save a resize) stuff off the cam:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (everybody loves Schumacher merch! This was easily as big as a single team's stand)

[​IMG]
    Out of focus, but he's the man of the hour - the catch fencing made these immensely poor. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Catch fencing was tricky to get anything decent during the driver's parade, all the cars (except those obviously not) are at Rivage. We were sitting on the bank just before Pouhon again for the race.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2013
  12. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Nice pics!

Shame the race was as dull as it was.
    Here's hoping for something a bit more action packed in Monza!

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Good pics, Krikkit. You seem quite adept at catching fast moving cars on camera.

My mate was at Monza last year. Took a load of pictures, but (as you already said) Catch fencing is a bitch. And him sucking at photos doesn't help. :p

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Great job in getting clear shots without the fence, it's a difficult choice - sit further up the grandstand to get clear shots or sit down at the front to be closer but get a fence in the way.

15. Krikkit

I must confess it's actually pretty easy to get them at Rivage - it's a sub-100mph corner with a good banking that easily rises above the fencing. I'm pretty pleased with those, but that's the best of 50 or so. Monza has some very decent spots, but it's all about panning technique...

The driver's parade shots are from our vantage point on the bank at Pouhon, the priorities are good view of a screen and room to sit down to be honest (we were there from about 8am to get a good view). To give you an idea what it's like on race-day:
    [​IMG]

To be honest we didn't spend much time taking photos at the track - trying to get pixel-perfect shots of F1 cars is an exercise in frustration without a media pass to get you down to the track level behind the barriers, not to mention boring for those of us that aren't bothered about cameras! I could have got some more shots in various places, there were occasional holes in the fencing for amateur shooting but they were usually filled with camped-out noobies trying to use a flash with a 400mm L lens etc.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2013
  16. David

Great photos, Krikkit.

I love that McLaren one - I don't suppose you've got it in 1600p or larger? :D ;)

17. Krikkit

Anyone is welcome to large ones - the originals are about 4kx3k, but the flaws in the pics will soon become obvious!

I'll do an upload when I'm at home tonight.

[edit] Full size of the McLaren here, also one of the Sauber (my 2nd favourite) here and finally Alonso in the F138 here. The Ferrari isn't as good (imo) because the lack of kerb and grass means there's not as much movement felt. Crop and edit away to your heart's content. Be warned though, it looks significantly less sharp when blown up. :)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2013
  18. rollo

rollo Modder

Rumours are that Ferrari want to keep Massa for another year which would remove another possible top end drive for would be players.

Kimi if he wants to move is running out of locations as he does not appear to be wanted for 1 reason or another. ( most rumours suggest this is money which is what prevented his return to McLaren to replace Lewis this year) I also wonder if he does not get the move he wants if he will quit the sport again.

RBR basically set despite what they may or may not say. Only question is when Ric gets the job be it this season or next as some think Webber maybe shoved outta the door once the contructors is done and dusted.

Merc is set already

McLaren is nearing confirmation that Button will be kept on and perez has a contract till 2015.

Lotus is the big one could be basically 2 open spots for 8-9 would be drivers.

Ferrari Alonso + 1 my guess is Massa will still be there in 2014.

19. David

I didn't spot your edit - I'll have a look tonight. Thanks :)

I thought this was the usual "we want to keep him, but only if his results for the remaining races greatly improve". They've said that for the last two years, iirc, as a boot up the arse.

Wasn't it both money demands and restrictions on how many sponsorship/PR appearances and duties he would agree to?

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I read elsewhere today that Niki Laura is pushing Ferrari to sign Kim.