1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New mitx setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 29 Aug 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    I'm considering going to mitx since I love the parvum mitx case coming out soon (hence my price check thread in the marketplace).

However I'm not sure what I want to go for and so I thought I'd ask you lovely people for some advice :)

I could go for an intel (probably haswell) or AMD (probably FM2) build.

It will be mainly used for general browsing, watching films/TV, playing games etc.
    Nothing overly intensive, some photo editing with lightroom is probably as hard as it's going to get.

Any recommendations from people who have either setup?

Obviously the AMD will be cheaper, which is great, but maybe the extra performance of the intel is worth the cost?

I use a 1440p monitor, and may be keeping my GTX570 for now for games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Budget?

3. GeorgeStorm

Well I don't have a strict budget, otherwise I probably wouldn't be trying to choose between haswell and fm2 :p

It partially depends on how much I can get from the stuff I'm going to sell in the marketplace, I may also end up keeping various bits and transferring them to my new build to save on costs depending how I feel.

How much would a fm2 build cost compared to a haswell? From a quick look at just boards and chips I'd be looking at a saving of at least £100 by going AMD?

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

* Checking that Bindi can't here me * ... psss psss do not go with Asus ... * Ruun *

... it's a joke :D. What's your budget ? Any storage requirement (like more than 4 HDD) ?

EDIT : Ninja'd by the OP. Problem with FM2 is the lack of mITX mobos. To be honest I would avoid the Asrock ones, read too many posts about frying ITX FM2 from them. It gives you one 3 mobo left, AFAIK :

- Zotac A75-ITX Wifi
    - Gigabyte F2A85XN-Wifi
    - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53

5. GeorgeStorm

Storage wise I'll be using 1/2 SSDs and maybe 1 HDD.
    They'll either be ones I already have, or if I sell some of my current 2tb drives I may get a 3/4tb drive.

6. GuilleAcoustic

So virtualy all ITX will provide enough SATA connectors. There's a lot more choice on the ITX side if you go with Intel. Haswell i3 are supposed to come in September, maybe this could save you some cash if you do not need an i5/i7.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No budget limit?

Maximus VI Impact it is then :cooldude:

8. GeorgeStorm

I've been offered the Gigabyte model for £50, or the MSI Z87I for £65, both very little use. This kind of evens the field when it comes to boards, but cpu wise haswell will be costing quite a bit more, and part of my thinks that going for intel and saving money don't go together, if I want something cheaper and lower end then AMD is the way to go (I also like AMD as they are the underdogs :D)

But yeah, sata port wise it's not really an issue, I mean the case can currently only officiall fit 1 ssd I think, although you can fit more, just no official mounts yet. I may end up waiting till the end of September when they've officially been released, depends how long it takes for me to work out prices I'm happy with and sell some of my current setup, and work out what I want to go for in the new one :D

Bindi there's no strict budget, but it obviously all comes down to stuff being worth the extra or not.
    Is that board worth 2-3 times as much as alternatives? From a quick look it certainly doesn't look it :p

9. GuilleAcoustic

MSI mini-ITX FM2 with an FM2 Athlon x4 750K ? If you're going to use a discrete GPU, then the Athlon costs around 70€ :D

10. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

The problem is that the Athlon sucks compared to even a current i3 :p better to wait for Haswell i3!

11. GeorgeStorm

Couldn't I just get an ivy i3?

Also I'd far rather have an AMD than an i3, if I'm going to accept I'm going lower performance I'd rather support AMD.

12. GuilleAcoustic

I'm also feeling like supporting the underdog. I'm seriously considering an A10-6700T (45W) as a new main rig (it was supposed to be out already). Mainly aimed at general purpose + development. The extra performance from the IGP will allow some OGL / OCL development goodness in an AIO package.

I was waiting for Kaveri, but it doesn't seems to come before march 2014 ... and I need a new rig now :'(

13. GeorgeStorm

Does Ivy/Haswell have the same mounting holes as Sandy?

Just realised I may only have the Sandy mount for my H70 with me, I assume the other mounts are at home with the family, not sure where though, which could sway my decision :p

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yep - same mounting system :)

15. GeorgeStorm

The mounting holes are the same even though the sockets are different?

I'll have a bit of a look into the lower end intel stuff then I guess.
    I've realised I'll be taking quite the performance hit regardless (unless I look at i7 stuff)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

George, have you selected a case yet? With an ITX system you will find that the style of case you go for will dictate the airflow available to the CPU/GPU which might be the limiting factor, unless you go for one of the higher airflow cases such as the Sugo, Elite 120, Prodigy etc.

17. GeorgeStorm

I'm intending on going for one of the parvum itx cases which are being released soon :)

18. GuilleAcoustic

The Prodigy is an E-ATX case, it's been proven on this forum :hehe:

19. GeorgeStorm

:p

So I think the two routes are:
    haswell i3/i5 £100-200
    msi z87 £65 (2nd hand)

or

amd 760k £65
    giga £50 (2nd hand)

Then the mitx parvum case, a 3/4tb hdd (not sure yet) and 450W sfx PSU.
    I've seen the Haswell i3 stuff has been released, but haven't seen any reviews of them?

If I go AMD/anything less than i5 on Haswell (and even then I think it may not be enough at stock) I'll be going to a slower cpu, but I'm not really sure I'll notice it, which is the big question, from various reviews of cpus, when it comes to games the differences between intel/AMD aren't THAT big, it's in all the other things where intel pull ahead I think?

20. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Whatever you do, buy the ram today before prices soar!