1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Debating on a new monitor to use for my gaming laptop :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LightingBird, 1 Sep 2013.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

So I've been hunting around trying to find a bigger, badder, and sexier monitor to hook up to my gaming laptop to game on. In the past I've had a 32 inch hooked up to it and I loved the experience. So now I'm trying to find one I can hook up to it along with using a mechanical keyboard for when I'm not mobile and in my usual spot in my house.

So with that said, I have come down to the following two models and I'm not sure if there is a big difference other than the sizes. I will say I am mainly a RTS and MMO player. I do occasionally play one 3rd person shooter (/cough /cough don't laugh Battlefield Heroes ha), but nothing outside of that. Also I plan on playing somewhat close to the screen so a good looking monitor but its not crucial. So here are the models!

BenQ RL2455HM
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HSKSMI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BenQ GW2750HM
    http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM...8&qid=1378061606&sr=8-3&keywords=benq+monitor

So what do you think?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

There are not very good screen, I am afraid. The first one RL2455HM is OK, if you want a TN panel. But the other, is meh. 27inch at 1080p sucks. If you want 27inch then get 2560x1440 monitor.

You should check out my monitor guide to get you started: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

Last edited: 3 Sep 2013
  3. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Thanks for your response and I just want to say I have posted this exact same post on several forums and you are literally the only person who said one was ok and the other meh. Everyone one else spoke highly one way or another about both. Ha. Just saying.

4. GoodBytes

My standards of monitor is high side. For me a monitor is just as important as a CPU or GPU when building a computer. It's your main interaction with the computer. Withing out.. the entire computer is useless, you cant' even install an OS to even get started. And you use the computer for many hours each day. Why would one buy a crap monitor? And not to mention the fact that many of us buy high end graphic card to play games at max settings to enjoy the visuals.. but what's to enjoy when all the colors are washed out, or overly saturated ruining everything?

Get a proper monitor, keep it for 4-5 years, enjoy it until the last day, rather than change monitor every year or two because it's all crap, and you are not happy.

My story:
    Long time ago, I didn't knew much about monitors, I was like everyone else. What got me to do my heavy amount of research, was that my CRT monitor was pretty much finished. I was like you, ask on several forum, got a bunch of suggestions. I went with what was popular, and "designed for gamer" at first... it was crap. My near finished CRT monitor was better in almost every way. I returned it, ordered another highly recommended one.. same story... tried a 3rd one, this one was better, but meh... gave it to my mom. I was tired, and so my local computer stores of me. I decided to my own research. I wanted to know everything about LCD monitors, and other technologies. Plus with access to university, it allowed to reach technical documentation on LCD monitors, and this is where I got my facts straights. When I finished, I did my research on what's on the market, I had 1000$ ready to be spent on a monitor. I got a 750$ (negotiated down to 500$), this would have confirmed or deny all my research... time well spent. I had a seizure due to the awesomeness of the screen (ok ok, I am exaggerating here.. but the monitor was really nice, better than my CRT interns of colors, and was very near to my CRT (when it was new) for the rest, and had it's own strengths!). And I decided to share my knowledge... after hard convincing on this forum (especially the price tag required), I converted few people in getting proper monitors, and they spread the word, as they were amazed as well. Which really confirmed my research, and that I am not seeing some kind of placebo effect or just pure luck.

By then, there was a change occurring in the market where people were getting tired of the crap visuals, and companies started to advertise other monitors technology, which informed more the consumer about the different options available. Demand for higher end monitors occurred and continues, which leads manufactures to push lower prices on them (higher demand also helped dropping the price), and more affordable solution were made. So now we have high end TN panel where colors and view angles are improved compared to before, we have MVA panel that did a return, we have IPS panels where 6-bit version was made, making them much more affordable, and still better than high end TN. And now TN panel manufacture seams to focus on 120Hz/144Hz instead, and specializing there.

So that's that. :)

Last edited: 2 Sep 2013
  5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

i don't think that his gaming laptop will be able to drive a 1440p monitor very well though

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You are aware that most games let you choose resolution in game right? So if needed he could always turn it down in game.

7. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I can't complain about by 27' Korean QNIX. 1440p for only a bit more than your second monitor, and I've overclocked it to 96Hz. Not really a reliable option, but worth looking at.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It depends exactly what you want from it and how much you want to spend.

A 1440p monitor might be better, although if you have to turn down all the settings/resolution in games to get a playable framerate, then maybe not.
    If it's just the colours of an IPS you want then you could go for a 1080p IPS 27" panel.

I would say BenQ are a decent brand for monitors, have no experience of those models in particular though.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you do not want to take part in the pixel lottery then get a Dell Ultrashaft with zero bright dot guaranty.

10. docodine

you are aware that setting an LCD to run at non-native resolution looks like ass right

11. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

He has very high standards but he converted me, i could never go back from my dell U2410!

12. GoodBytes

:D
    I wish Dell would still make it, to be honest. The newer one aren't as good (same for ASUS), which is a bit of a shame.

13. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

You clearly didn't read my post.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

nope your confusing in game settings with screen settings.

Either way with a highquality Monitor like a Dell Ultra its not so bad as a cheap TN panel.
    I think the Dell has a chip that can do scaling but scaling is best don by your GPU.

15. docodine

no, i did. explain? i think you misunderstood what i wrote if anything

no i'm not, in-game resolution adjustment is exactly the same as adjusting the resolution through windows

both will output the wrong number of pixels for your monitor, they'll be stretched to fit and it will look bad

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

As long as:

the screen ratio is the same like 16:9 to 16:9 then its just less pixels, change the ration sure its weird.

Add to that that the Laptop panel is no where near the quality of the Dell Ultra and you win either way.

So: If you keep the same ratio then the smaller screen running at native will not look better then the larger screen using better parts and a better panel. It may be more obvious what you get with a lower resolution. In actual fact the larger screen will look better due to the better color reproduction.

If you want to argue large pixel argument, then.... sit back :p and don't lean in close the the screen, problem solved.

either way you will want to change the resolution in game as you will be able to run windows at 1440p or 1600p even, so why not enjoy the higher resolution when ever you can.

If you are having issues running games at higher resolution turn off the eye candy first.
    Shadows and water effect take a huge hit on you performance to name but a few settings.

17. docodine

even if you keep the aspect ratio correct, everything gets blurry if you are running non-native res on an LCD

take a 1440p monitor, that's 2560x1440. a 16:9 ratio resolution

if you change the resolution to 1920x1080, you're reducing the output to 75% of the original. the pixels on the 2560x1440 pixels on the monitor are still there, but a smaller image is being stretched across them

the new image doesn't quite fit into the pixels on the monitor, some of the bits of the smaller image fight with their neighbors to figure out which pixel they should be fitting into. this causes poor image quality and blurriness

even if the panel quality is better, at best you're going to be getting a vibrant, bright, blurry image

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Depends entirely on the gaming laptop the Op has and his actual gaming requirements.

Judging by the opening post his requirements are more RTS/MMO than Crysis 3 "maxed" so even a mid range laptop (with a decent CPU) should be more than adequete.

On the other front (Crysis 3 maxed) my laptop will give it a good go (GTX780M Cheesecake :D)

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have just tested this at home on My U2711, honestly not a blurry line in sight. Don't know if my GTX 580 is doing a grand job on the scaling or the chip in the monitor or both but no blury lines to be found. Tried cross test with my 19:9 laptop as well. Don't know what you are doing to get these blurry lines.

20. docodine

done trying to explain MShunter, your GTX580 is magic and your U2711 acts like a CRT

so OP, what kind of laptop do you have? or is that still a touchy subject lol

Last edited: 5 Sep 2013