1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Starting a new budget build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheZaak, 2 Sep 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah I can't agree with that enough tbh. It's really annoying when you build a rig and the CPU starts holding things back and there's bugger all you can do about it :(

Always sensible to buy a decent unlocked CPU. That way you can get a year down the line and overclock it when you need to.

I'll never buy another locked CPU as long as I live. They're not even disposable prices.

2. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Here's it's the board rather than the CPU :) The cheaper 970s allow overclocking but the VRMs will overheat and throttle, and the poorer phase design will give up.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

My Extreme 3 is 4+1 but I still managed a 4.2ghz overclock Prime stable with my 8320.

Any more and yes, the VRMs throttle the CPU. I would imagine you could easily get 4.5ghz out of the 6300 on 4+1? it's got two cores missing.

As much as the VRM throttle annoys me I do like it. I had an Asrock board once and I fried it by overclocking a 140w Phenom 9950.

4. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

People get very good results with the Asus EVO (it's 6+2, but very high quality). 4.5GHz on an 8320 on that board isn't unusual.

If you put a small active fan over your VRMs you might get rid of the throttling and get up higher.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Scan are doing the 580GTX with their warranty and returns for 113 quid.

( Which after much debate with the folks bought for my second PC - given how much aof a bargain it was [ because of strict budget ] )