1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows New PC blue screening wont install XP or loading previous win7 HDD boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheZaak, 5 Sep 2013.

1. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Righhttt, I'm scared I've ****ed up and I dont know which end it is hoping it's not hardware on my brand new pc build..

the system is as follows:
    - Coolermaster elite 335 case.
    - AMD FX-6300.
    - Corsair Vengance 8GBs 1600mhz.
    - Corsair 500W CXM.
    - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3.
    - GTX 650 1gb.
    - 1 TB seagate barracuda.

My problem however is installing the OS, I tried a win XP install to the upgrade to win7 file I have a hard drive.

Firstly the win XP install blue screens at the second half where it starts installing devices. Cannot get past this as it has done the same thing 5 times in a row.

Secondly, I Found my win7 recovery disc, so entered that but it wouldn't let me stop the current install even though the CD wasnt in the disc tray.. Which was unusual.

Lastly I tried a HDD from my previous pc to try and boot from that then work around formatting the win XP half install to try a win7 whilst booted. However this blue screens after being asked to run windows normally.. Which I have no understanding of why it would do this?

Any tips on how to check whether it's hardware or software that is booched?

Regards Zak

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Try a Linux live boot cd/Dvd if it boots it is unlikely to be hardware. If it's windows 7 home premium I can burn you a copy and pop it in the post after the weekend.

I suspect the follow.

1. Missing sata drivers for hdd. You didn't mention if you have an ssd boot drive? I've had big problems with ssd boot drives and windows 7, to the point I had to install to hdd and clone.

2. Corrupt install media. I've come across a few in my time.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've had XP do that on more modern hardware. I had to slipstream the drivers onto the XP install disc.

Edit. BTW if you're installing Windows 7 then I strongly suggest installing the two hot fixes for the FX series CPUs. Personally I would use Windows 8, as it natively supports the FX CPUs properly (and use a start button).

However, if you're going to use 7 you can find the hot fixes hnyar (Cartman voice for here).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

And

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

:)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You do not need to install XP to upgrade to Windows 7.
    Boot from Windows 7 disk, and install Windows 7 (click on Custom Install, not Upgrade)
    Then (new to Win7) open the registry and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ , and edit MediaBootInstall , from 1 to 0

Then lastly, open the command prompt as true Administrator (Start > type: cmd > right-click on the result, and select Run As Administrator), then type and hit Enter after: slmgr /rearm. Restart your PC, and watch the activation work.

What you did above is simple, you changed a registry key to say that a previous version of Windows was detected. Then we refresh the activation system to re-read the new changes.
    The above has been added to Windows 7. Before you had no choice then to install the previous version of Windows then upgrade. This was added so that Microsoft support could help you, if you change your HDD or get an SSD, or just need to re-install Windows.

Getting XP to install no a modern hardware, especially pre-SP1, is a nightmare / week-end project.

5. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

I have a 1TB barracuda HDD from seagate for my boot/files. Thanks for the offer of the CD but i've found some blank DVDs that I can burn one myself!

6. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Thank you for your time, dont want to keep winXP as I value the aesthetics of win7 over performance of XP.

Yes I am definitely going to be downloading the hotfixes, once I get the pc up and running. Don't want to use windows 8 due to the price and aesthetics sorry.

7. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

ubuntu installed perfectly, however im encountering other errors such as early win7 disks not recognising SATA hard drives, so im having to use win XP installer to format the drive to allow for the win7 disk to install on it.

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Can't you press f7?IIRC and load the sata drivers from the mobo cd or pop them on a USB key and do it that way?

9. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

didnt give me any option on the boot for f7 unless im being naive and thats a obvious thing to know? Anyway Im in got everything set up now the only problem is it's showing 120gbs of a 1tb HDD.....

Any suggestions?

//fixed stupid reasoning in the partition. Setup seems fine now just to extract the hotfixes now guys. Thanks again for all of your help

Last edited: 6 Sep 2013
  10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Glad to hear that it is all working and you're up and running. F7 in the heady days of xp allowed you to add sata drivers, I think it was f7,but I could be wrong. I assume that it still works in win7 but could be mistaken, I've never had to use it.