1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rome II Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wozzname, 6 Sep 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I may be being stupid, but has anybody found the unit controls? By which I mean the buttons that allow you to rotate/move units? So far I'm having to drag out every single unit's new position or use the arrow keys.

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I believe not so. If you have a superior force then you really don't have to give a ****, apart from suffering attrition in a push for territory before having to consolidate. Pulling out the wins when vastly outnumbered and auto-resolve would be a loss is where it's fun. The tactics for modern and old are indifferent really.

3. Wira

Wira Spoderman

yeah I've been looking for those too, I think they removed them.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Actually, I want to refresh my memory of Rome: Total War. I thought that I was missing a couple of controls in battles, and found this. Having not played the series extensively in a few years, I didn't appreciate how different it is.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

-BATTLES ARE WAY TOO FAST! The battles last a few minutes generally. You spend three minutes walking to the enemy force. Your lines meet and devolve into a chaotic blob and the melee is typically over in about 30-50 seconds as one side routes. If you were inclined to flank the blob you typically don't even have time to move a single flanking unit around into position before the melee is decided. You're far better served simply committing the unit into the blob of doom right away and spamming the 'magic' combat buffs/abilities your men have

This. A hundred times this. I've given up on fancy tactics and just charge, works every single time.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Sounds a bit broken just based on the above post.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It is very broken, Aliens Colonial Marines Broken.... :/

8. rollo

rollo Modder

The patches have made huge differences to the multi coop at least its now playable turns dont take 1hr. Played a bit solo take difficulty to max and your charge tactic will result in defeat every time.

sheer numbers will win out on the easier levels np at all. On the higher difficulties you need a pretty balanced army.

Also if your outnumbered say 2-1 you can still win playing correctly.

game needs a few more patches before ill be happy but its vastly improved in the last few days with 3 patches that have improved performance.

9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Last edited: 8 Sep 2013
  10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

From what I have played so far, it kind of reminds me of this..

http://youtu.be/lLCZZAheNSU?t=1m30s

I take the point though that in harder difficulties it may play out a little differently and I haven't given it a lot of play time yet.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Biggest issue I have is unit upkeep once your at 30 states maintaining a huge army gets expensive. Public order never seems to be happy either its always either at 100 + or in the negatives wonder if that's a bug.

As with all total war games they improve as patched, the orginal shogun 2 that people refer too as the benchmark well that game on launch was unplayable now look at it.

There's a legendary difficulty for the suicidle out there as well.

12. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Was going to pick this up, but might just wait it out and pick it up it few weeks once its patched up.

13. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

So I had a go with the current Beta Patch, started a new campaign with Sparta to try and get the most benefit out of the patch turn performance improvements.

It has substantially improved the abysmal end turn performance for me, certainly in the early stages of a new game. Turn times are also generally much improved in the mid and somewhat in the late turns, which is good.

However, campaign map performance is still all over the place and battle maps seem to like to fluctuate between 12 and 55 FPS.... I am also now getting occasional app crashes in the rome2.exe that I was previously not getting, when in city battles.

The dumb AI attacks by tiny unit stacks against massively fortified city garrisons are still going on and the battle AI is still pretty bugged/dumb.

Now there is one more thing that I also suspect to be a bug (as it was not the case when I played the Roman faction) the entire Spartan army appears to be made up of clones! Every character model is the same bearded gnome face and none of the clothing variety exists for them. This is especially noticeable with the Spartan Hoplites. Considering they are a paid for addition to anyone who did not pre-order, this is just more embarrassment for CA.

I'd advise against picking up this mess for a good while, as I think it will take CA at least 3 months to get this game into a reasonable state.

14. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Does anyone fancy trying the Multiplayer Campaign with me? Go ooooon, you know you want too.

15. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

@DeckerdBR: I've found things worse overall with the new beta patch. My FPS on campaign maps is a lot worse (slideshow-esque at times), and I still can't play the castle attack historical battle (it used to crash mid way through, it now crashes within 5 minutes).

Overall this game has a lot of potential, but you have to have patience to play it in its current form.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Tried this last night on a new save just spam auto resolve did aprox 50-60 turns in under an hr on an i7950 CPU. So its significantly faster than it was as 50 turns was 2-3 hrs before.

Not really seen any FPS issues that people go on about yet.

18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Is that the Historical battle for the attack on the city of Carthage? If so, yes that crashed for me too, even after the beta patch. In fact, city battles in general seem to be the battles the suffer most from the 10-12 FPS drops.

One of my friends has Rome 2 on a fairly similar spec PC as mine, only he uses an ATI card and he says he get no performance issues. Seems to be one of those games where it's either fine or bloody awful with little middle ground in between. :/

19. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Its good that they have made a improvement to the ai turn time, put me off playing rome 2 after my first session on it.

It would be good if they reduced the time it take to convert a settlement buildings over to your culture, as its about 4-5 turns at current for a army to watch over new territory.

20. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Patch seems to have caused me a problem... siege battles are painfully laggy now. Had been perfectly fine before. Here's hoping for patch 3!