1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell succeeds in taking his company private

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

It will be interesting what happens now :)

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think this could be the making of the company.

4. himaro101

himaro101 What's a Dremel?

We'll have to sit, wait and see now
    Dell needs a strong leader who knows the market and what consumers actually want but isn't afraid to break a few eggs
    Same goes for Microsoft for that matter.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

All I really feel like saying about this article is "shut the hell up Icahn". Seriously, what a sore loser who probably does nothing with his life but stock market stuff and just didn't want to sell yet. If he really cared that much about the company and had opinions that actually mattered, he could have tried getting a job there as a REAL employee.

While Dell is one of the very few computer companies I'd like to see vanish, they have every right to want to go private. It's not about a dictatorship, it's about not listening to dumbass stock holders like Icahn whose decisions are probably the reason Dell is in such bad shape in the first place. Dell isn't a country - people are allowed to boycott them. If a product doesn't sell, they'll do something else to please the customer. You don't need stockholders to tell you that. A real "dictatorship" of a company is Apple, where they don't do what the customer wants but rather tell their customers what they want.

If Dell were private, I'm sure they'd be able to do things that their shareholders would have shunned but would have actually got them somewhere. The corporate world is a pathetic one, especially in the media world.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

That doesn't change my point. That article shows he's just a generous person who gives money (that he probably earned in investments) to make something better or help someone out. I didn't say he was a bad person, just that he's whining about something that he probably doesn't know enough about. He knows where to put his money and how to profit from that, and Dell is/was a good place to invest in. But knowing where to invest and knowing what's popular doesn't mean you know what's good for a technology company. Normally, I wouldn't bother saying that, but he's fighting to have his voice heard in a company that is failing hard. I'm not sure how much he invested in Dell or how many decisions he ended up making for them, but, maybe he's partially the reason for this.

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

On paper that looks absolutely fantastic, but, I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that. For one thing, tax and charity in the US is organised pretty differently to the UK. If you're a very wealthy person donating money to charities then it's 'tax deductible', meaning you can write much of it off as an expense. Not saying there's 'no' generosity involved, (obviously there still is) but that a lot of it was money due out the door anyway - you're just diverting it from the tax man to your own pet project in way that you can't over here.

Also, I'm pretty sure I looked at his page at the start of the year and read a huge segment under the title of 'controversies' (or something similar) - the whole of which seems to have mysteriously disappeared now. I'm sure that would have absolutely nothing to do with anyone connected to him, obviously.

I don't agree with everything schmidtbag said, but I've heard more than one source refer to him & his company as blood-sucking vampires. (Matter of personal opinion I suppose - some people would take that as a compliment anyway).

Tossing a few million dollars around at very public charities - to which you make sure you have your name very boldly associated - doesn't really make up for ruthlessly squeezing the life out of companies, (and their millions of employees, customers and investors) while making yourself billions in the process. The phrase 'throw a dog a bone' springs to mind...

But hey, I'm just a grumpy old cynic so what the hell do I know? :)

9. bowman

bowman Minimodder

This is great news. Dell can finally start making exciting products without a bunch of shortsighted money-hopping investors shrieking every single time.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would take a guess you mean that he was one of the first Corporate raiders (think Gordon Gekko).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_raid

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

"Hostile takeover" and "asset stripping" means "****"

12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

If you don't like the Dell dicatorship why would you fight to remain part of it

13. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Wikipedia.. LoL... Other nonsense is also available...

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

... Wikipedia is a damn good source now a days...

15. Gareth Halfacree

Wikipedia ain't a source, but it is a source of sources. As for the nay-sayers, I never said Icahn was a good guy - I merely pointed out that, contrary to claims, he has interests and hobbies that lie outside the stock market. As for greypilgers: if you can disprove the existence of the Carl C. Icahn Center for Science, Icahn Scholar Programme, Carl C. Icahn Laboratory, Icahn Medical Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Icahn Institute for Genomics and Multiscale Biology, Icahn House East and Icahn House West, or his humanitarian awards, then please: feel free to edit the Wikipedia page accordingly. That's sort of the point of Wikipedia, really...

16. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That's absolutely fair enough - they were unfair and unsubstantiated claims anyway. Although by pointing out Icahn's (proportionately limited) charitable works instead of, say, his love of horses, I just wanted to point out that he wasn't the reincarnation of Mother Teresa - just for the benefit of anyone who hadn't heard of him before and only had that to go on. For example, those ten students every year whose education he pays for probably think he's a great bloke - whereas the tens of thousands whose parents lost their jobs (from largely profitable companies) and then couldn't afford to go to university themselves probably have a rather less admiring view of him.

Carl Icahn is to business and industry what a demolition expert is to construction and engineering: He may have an intimate knowledge of the subject, but only so that he better knows how to tear it apart.

(Apologies to any demolition experts out there for the insulting comparison).

Anyway, back on topic: It'll be interesting to see what Dell does next...

17. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Its about time the released another Windows Phone ^^