1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Midlag Crisis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 18 Jan 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This project is a no go, the motherboard is dead, powers up for a few seconds & then shuts back down, tried alternative memory & PSU removing everything else including the battery to narrow down the problem but same no worky effect, the lazy git just wants to sleep forever. :hehe:

At least I got lacqodising out of this, nice but empty case is useless but the technique is useful for my future projects, I am in a slight state of depression from it though so I'm taking a break but I will do final photo shoot of useless empty case, ugh. :lol:

Photo shoots will be incoming over the next couple of days.

2. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Save it for some future hardware!

But sucks that its dead in the water...no warranty on the motherboard?

3. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Whats the mobo?

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Is the board an Asus AT5IONT ? I did a build a year or two ago with one and had the problem of it only staying on for a few second then powering off. Eventually I took it the the local PC shop to see if they had any idea of what the problem was, it turned out I had the two wires on the power switch the wrong way around ! So that was a bit of a red face moment lol.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wait...Since when is there polarity on a switch?
    @Waynio - Have you tried for sponsorship anywhere? You've gotten pretty popular, you know...

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Good point Cheapskate ! Never even thought about it. All I remember is that it was a vandal switch, the tech guy tried a normal pc switch and it worked. So I then swapped the wires around and bingo !

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Will do :) no warranty though, bought it 2nd hand on ebay, it did work when I tested it but not anymore I do have a 2nd one, brand new but it's for lean & green.

This one.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/E45M1I_DELUXE/

Someone mentioned about re seating the heat sink describing a similar problem, worth a try so I'll do that now, if that doesn't do it then maybe it took static damage at some point.

No :D but I've had jumpers on optical drives being the cause of not working before & cost me £25 to have it simply pulled off & put to slave, less than a minutes work. :lol:
    That's what made me self learn computers. :D

I haven't, people hate on me already, imagine if I was well sponsored, brilliant isn't it. :lol:
    But if I do I'll have to crank up the awesome on this with more attention to details.
    edit
    Correction, anonymously hate. :lol:

It could be something simple & probably is, I'll have to eyeball over the whole thing.

I switch the PSU on & it fires up without me even pressing the power button but shuts back down a few seconds later & the case power switch does nothing, it's a pain.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2013
  8. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

nooooooo don't give up so easily man... :rock:

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I once had a similar issue, and the reason was a HDD sata misplacement. When I first intalled OS, I had my drive connected into one port. Later, when testing the system, I put the drive into a different port by mistake, giving me startup problems much like yours...

Dave Lister likes this.
  10. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

The lacqodising looks just incredible Wayne. I am just floored. If I can get back to modding, I'm going to have to look into tackling this. I really like the effect.

11. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Keep digging at the mobo problem and stay positive. I am hopeful you will get it working. :)

The finish turned out really, really well. :thumb:

12. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I had a similar problem with an Asus ION board. It would not allow me to install Windows. Took ages plus sending board back and forth to the vendor. But they finally agreed there was something wrong with the board and repaired it. It works like a charm now.

But basically, as far as we are concerned, we are interested in what you have made, not the board.
    Assemble the finished case and let us enjoy the completion of your hard work. Oh, and I've wanted to come in many times to tell you to stop screwing around with the 'laquerthingy' and finish but thought better of it. Seeing as I'm here.........................;)

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nearly did. :eeek:
    Thanks for a nudge of more motivation jokkos. :D

Hardware faults can be quite a PITA when you get to the end of a project, just lucky I had a couple of spare parts so I could diagnose what was wrong. :D

Thanks voigts, this isn't showing as good as it can be but it's pretty good. :)

Thanks Craig & I did just about. :D

:hehe: Thanks Attila, I kinda came to same conclusion myself about if a case looks good empty then it's a good case, I would have posted completed empty case if I couldn't solve the fault. :D
    There was a lot of screwing about with the lacqodising but I think it was worth it, bit dragged out due to budget but got there eventually. :D

So

Singled out the problem, woo hoo, wehay, wow & a yipeee & why not a kablaaa too. :D

Faulty power switch so I need to replace that & I'm scrapping the internal HDD dock because it's just too cramped to be considered an easy access dock so I'll switch that back to a basic internal drive, good practice & shown me what I need to do for a good super easy access internal HDD dock. :D

Thinking the motherboard was dead really zapped the motivation right out of me crushing me a bit, had to rest a lot to ease off the disappointment, :lol: I'll get back onto it right now though. :D:rock:

14. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Good to hear the motherboard is all right seems like you've gained a lot of great experience from this project.

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Pheeew, Glad you have it sorted man, I was pretty gutted for you when I read about the problems.... so lets have some completed pics :D

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks bio & yeah, big relief & yes I've learnt a lot since the beginning of this project, still have some work to do to get lacqodising really nice but that is well on track to happen for future projects. :)

Couldn't believe it was the switch itself why it wouldn't work :wallbash::lol: good job I did a little extra testing though. :D

Completed pics incoming on next post right now. :rock:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's complete & it works & will serve it's purpose as a low power very quiet HTPC, it's virtually silent with the fan plugged into the CPU header, I didn't bother making internals look good because only the front will be seen really & it won't be close enough to notice the multi-coloured wires.

Anyway it houses a SFX PSU, mini-ITX motherboard, SSD, 2x HDD's, modded 140mm akasa apache fan, IR sensor which lets me use the marble switch or remote control, snake mess of a wire job mostly stashed between the PSU & SSD so not in the way of air flow.

The SSD mount helps to direct the air flow down onto the motherboard & out through the sides, rear, top & PSU as well as blowing over the HDD's.

On with the final shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can focus on lean & green again when I'm feeling up for it which should be pretty soon, I don't idle so well lol.

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That looks amazing. The lacquerising finish looks incredible, almost wood-like. Great job Wayne :thumb:

19. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Wow Waynio! You did it again. I really love your style. Im using the same motherboard in my HTPC too, works pretty good actually. :)

20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Uber cool, mate. Looks amazing.